United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I asked this question in a different thread, but that thread's title was about the difference between the Gen X edition of the game and Gryphon games. I wanted to make a post where the request for similar games was the headline so I might get a few more replies. So...

My very first game of 2 de Mayo commences tonight. I studied the rules, watched the videos, read the FAQs, and cannot wait to play. I think this game could be one of my favorite games of all time. Area control, asymmetrical objectives, cubes, a smallish-map, and a play time under 45 minutes. What's not to love if you like this type of game? Let's hope it lives up to the hype I have for it.

I can only imagine that games that were this popular (it seemed to be fairly popular a few years ago) must have had at least a few games similar to it in some respects.

I like the idea of medium to small area control games. Preferably that play well with 2 (even exclusively 2). I have Sun Tzu which, though a different game, seems to fall into that same small-ish 2 player area control card driven game category. I think Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Galaxies have a similar feel as well. So does Eight Minute Empire for that matter.

However, I must say I'm intrigued by the asymmetrical win conditions of 2 de Mayo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Ronin ? Asymmetrical. Twoplayer. Under an hour. Smallish map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W1815? Not quite the same as 2 de Mayo, but it has a small footprint, and it plays in less than 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games looks awesome! W1815 looks like it might be a bear to find though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Berlin 1945 shares similar mechanisms to 2 de Mayo.
Unfortunately it was never published
Link :
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69844/berlin-1945
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I wish

Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

would make more games :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
jarinu wrote:

Berlin 1945 shares similar mechanisms to 2 de Mayo.
Unfortunately it was never published
Link :
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69844/berlin-1945

That's got to be the least helpful recommendation I ever got. A game that doesn't even exist except in the dreams of others. lol

In all seriousness it does look like it would have been a fun game though. Maybe someday we'll see it find a spot on a shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
7 Ronin ? Asymmetrical. Twoplayer. Under an hour. Smallish map.

This one looks very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an old reply...

But I remembered asking this question back when I was playing Dos de Mayo a lot.

I recently played a game that seemed like a mix of Dos de Mayo and Sun Tzu.

The King Is Dead

Just in case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future.

For what it's worth, The King is Dead is a better game than Dos de Mayo in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW The Cousins' War is a new simple/abstract wargame with a map and card play which caught my interest (and looks to me a bit like a hybrid of 2 de Mayo and König von Siam=The King Is Dead). (I haven't played it yet, but look forward to doing so soon.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well hot ham on a bagel...that game looks awesome! Never heard of it. But I'm a sucker for (good) small games. 13 Minutes is one of my all time faves. But a smallish area control game that's card driven? Looks great. Seems to have elements of Twilight Struggle too with those opponent's events on the cards. Just bought it.

Here I tried to add to an old thread on Dos de Mayo in hopes of helping someone on down the road. And in return I get turned on to Cousin's War. I love BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick, asymmetrical, trying to corner pieces, card play. Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation fits the bill, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
Quick, asymmetrical, trying to corner pieces, card play. Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation fits the bill, too.

I actually used to own it. I think what's missing (in relation to Dos de Mayo, King is Dead, Cousin's War) is the area control. The LOTR Confrontation reminded me of a (much improved) game of stratego. Still enjoyed it, but ultimately it never got to the table as other games always came in front of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.