Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this game and the mechanisms but the art doesn't settle well with me with the base game. I'm fine with it on my phone but is there another set that comes with base cards with better art? Also with all the expansions how does this game physically play? Do you play each expansion separately do you mix so you have just a load of cards to draw from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Realms Unraveled is a good starting point, but there may be others.

I only have two sets and I have mixed them together. On the app, I play with all the sets mixed together. But in a physical copy, I probably wouldn't mix more than three sets. Having a deck of several hundred cards may look cool, but it's really unwieldy when it comes to shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the 10th that so far released can be played individually. You might be interested to learn that the first set has since been reprinted with largely new Ark. I haven't like the original art, but might be worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I think Realms Unraveled is the most fun set, and would be my suggested starting point.

You can combine all of them, but beware that it dilutes the mechanics from each set. The early sets with the shards (which I don't care for at all) aren't nearly as fun when mixed with a bunch of other sets.

Realms unraveled is an interesting set in that none of the cards destroy other player constructs, so it's a very friendly game, you aren't going to do much at all to the other players. I really like it on it's own, or mixed with some of the other sets.

I haven't played the last 2 new sets, but I like most of the old sets, other than the ones with the shards. I also don't care for the one with the avatars and the rally keyword, it's much too random and can sway the game too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I started with Ascension with the Year 2 Collector's Edition which includes Storm of Souls and Immortal Heroes. My husband and I have played almost 30 times in the last month and we love it. Storm of Souls is a bit more complex than the base game but it is not difficult to get the hang of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
I think Realms Unraveled is the most fun set, and would be my suggested starting point.

I just downloaded this on my phone and really enjoy that set and how it works. I just can't figure out if it is stand alone or are they all possible stand alone games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
markblasco wrote:

I just downloaded this on my phone and really enjoy that set and how it works. I just can't figure out if it is stand alone or are they all possible stand alone games?

The large sets are all stand alone for up to 4 players, the small sets are stand alone for up to 2 players, and the collectors editions are stand alone for up to 6 players. You can combine a large and small set (or 2 larges) for stand alone up to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought my first Ascension set and It was Ascension: Realms Unraveled. It plays great on it own. I also think it will combine good with other sets ... And it has much better art than the first set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.