10 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Yet another beginner question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Kolbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I realize I have asked this question before, but it was in somebody else's post so I figured it'd be more fitting here

If your hand resets on your turn, it ends automatically. But from what I understand if you have no encounter cards, you only reset your hand when you're a main player again.. So if it's your turn and you start it with no encounter cards is that a lost turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Your turn immediately ends if you're the offense and you have no encounter cards and it's after your Start Turn phase.

If you have no encounter cards but you're the offense and it's Start Turn, or you're the defense during early Planning phase, then you get a new hand. Those are the only times your hand resets (barring effects like Hand Zap); if you have no encounter cards at another time, then you just have a hand that happens not to have any encounter cards in it at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules page 13:
Quote:
If the offense has no encounter cards (attacks, negotiates, or morphs) at the start of his or her turn, the offense must play (if possible) or discard any non-encounter cards, draw eight new cards, and continue his or her turn.
If the offense runs out of encounter cards later during his or her turn and needs to play one, the offense’s turn ends immediately. (This might happen for several reasons, including paying compensation after an encounter, an alien power, or a card effect.) If this happens, the offense returns any of his or her ships on the hyperspace gate to his or her colonies. Allies also return their ships to any of their colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marceau
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this apply to the 2nd encounter if the offense won the first? Or, do they also get a new hand at the start of the 2nd encounter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game doesn't use the term "reset". You mean, if at the start of your turn, or during the planning phase if you are the defense, you have no encounter cards, you discard your hand and draw 8 cards.

Start of your turn only. Not at the start of each encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitfordcycle wrote:
Does this apply to the 2nd encounter if the offense won the first? Or, do they also get a new hand at the start of the 2nd encounter?

If you have no encounter cards in your hand, you cannot start a second encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Hitfordcycle wrote:

Start Turn only happens at the start of, well, your turn. Your second encounter doesn't have a Start Turn phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kolbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar 15
United States
flag msg tools
I have a Question that is similar to this one. During your second encounter you have encounter cards in your hand, but then a card or power takes the encounter cards from your hand somehow does your second encounter end immediately? or do your draw a new hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules page 13:
Quote:
If the offense has no encounter cards (attacks, negotiates, or morphs) at the start of his or her turn, the offense must play (if possible) or discard any non-encounter cards, draw eight new cards, and continue his or her turn.
If the offense runs out of encounter cards later during his or her turn and needs to play one, the offense’s turn ends immediately. (This might happen for several reasons, including paying compensation after an encounter, an alien power, or a card effect.) If this happens, the offense returns any of his or her ships on the hyperspace gate to his or her colonies. Allies also return their ships to any of their colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.