Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mr [+] [View All]
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I used to be an AD&D player some [long] time ago. Not playing it anymore, though (no DM, no group etc.). Not sure, that I want to (too time-consuming, need constant group of people).
But I remember enjoying the freedom of choices, limited only by DM's imaination (which meant unbound at all).

Can anybody compare AD&D and Magic Realm? I'm a bit confused about the freedom factor. Will MR feel like a step back from AD&D experience?

I just don't want to go through 114 pages of rules (keep in mind - I'm not an English speaker, so it's like 171 pages for me)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what aspects of AD&D you enjoyed. If you like dungeon crawling, then MR is not what you're looking for. If you're looking for a more general adventure through wilderness, mountains, and dungeons, then MR is the closest to an RPG without the need for a DM.

It's a very open ended game in the sense that there's a world (different each game) and you're free to roam and do whatever you want. You can quietly go for treasure, or noisily alerting and fighting monsters. You can hire help, trade with natives, or fight them (and they'll react accordingly).

But it lacks some typical RPG aspects like Character Development (It's actually optional, but the realm is so hard that you'd better play a lot with the full developed characters before attempting to start with a level 1 one).

Also, combat has nothing to do with AD&D. If you're looking for a combat system more RPG like, then maybe Return of the Heroes is better for you (It also has Character Development). It is also a simpler game, easier to learn and fun to play. It's not so complex and not so open ended as MR, but it's a nice simpler substitute (I even made a variant so that the game becomes more open ended by changing the way the scores are calculated)

If you want to try MR, the best you can do is read the files here in BGG (The Least you need to know... and Magic Realm in Plain English) then try the Java version and see what you think... http://magicrealm.dewkid.com/rspeak/realmspeak.htm

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think MR and AD&D are even comparable, apart from both using a fantasy theme. AD&D, even in extremely simple hack&slash adventures, tends to have some kind of storyline or objective that really isn't there in MR. MR is much more analytical than D&D - players make probability calculations based on relatively full knowledge of the game's possibilities, unlike D&D where the DM can have anything up his sleeve.

Both fine games, but they feel completely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, In MR you make your own objectives and storyline. Just read the session reports and see for yourself. The difference is the lack of DM. MR is a very good game system in that the world you're exploring comes alive with its own rules (which you have to exploit to a degree, of course).

In a RPG session, you're not going to get monsters randomly just because (as you get in many computer and board game RPGs), you get the monsters where the DM thought they should be. There's a logic. That's exactly what you get in MR: A world that works with its own logic. In MR you explore and sense what monsters are lurking where, and decide if you want to risk staying at a particular place.

And if you want more RPG oriented quests, just look up the variant "Book of Quests"...

Edit: Just wanted to add that I used to play AD&D a lot. We had a good DM and had a lot of fun playing. I've been looking for games that somehow manage to duplicate that feeling, and really have found none. The interaction between players and DM is impossible to replicate, but some games have come closer, and MR is the closest (if also the more complex and lengthy...). Other possibilities are Return (mentioned above), Runebound (didn't like it so much), and paragraph games such as Tales of the Arabian Nights which is excellent.

If you don't mind exploring other themes, then Arkham Horror feels very much like an RPG too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always Tunnels and Trolls and it has plenty of solo dungeons
and its very easy all D6 based. Fiery Dragon has the ver 7 rules in a little tin box or you can go to flyingbuffalo.com and get the 'full' sized version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D is for people with friends while Magic Realm is for people without friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:
D&D is for people with friends while Magic Realm is for people without friends.

So basically you're saying that board games are for people without friends? Strange...

While solo MR is fun (but better played with the java implementation), MR is best with more players. That's where the complex system really comes to life...

AD&D is a full RPG system that needs commitment from all the players to meet regularly, and also needs one person to be the DM (that requieres quite a lot of work).

MR is a boardgame, and needs no extra commitment outside of the actual game setup and play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.