Small World» Forums » General

Subject: Party mode (Maximum number of players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I was organizing my small world set today and I wondered if anybody has tried a 12 player game using 2 6 player maps and the tunnels expansion. You may need 2 tunnels expansions to have enough arrows. Add necromancer Island for a 13th player. Lucky 13! Anyone ever played a game like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I've seen a few played. The problem in games like this is you have things to do on your turn and the rest of the table might as well go out for a smoke break. They have no interaction with your turn at all. In a normal game there's 5-15 minutes between each of my turns depending on the players. In a game this size the amount of time between each turn would be ridiculous. People would get bored just waiting to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antanas
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
Yes, I've seen a few played. The problem in games like this is you have things to do on your turn and the rest of the table might as well go out for a smoke break. They have no interaction with your turn at all. In a normal game there's 5-15 minutes between each of my turns depending on the players. In a game this size the amount of time between each turn would be ridiculous. People would get bored just waiting to play.

Ahh c'mon, it's not that bad. You could fit some short board games in between your turns. For instance, Terra Mystica (has a similar area control thing going on) and War of The Ring (keeping the theme of different races) would be my suggestions. And who knows, if your gaming group likes to think a bit before their moves, you could probably fit both of them until your next go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, different things for different folks really. I enjoy engaging with other players. If the downtime games are giving me that then why would I want to play the huge small world game? Too much going on at the same time like that would overwhelm me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost feel that large of a game would ruin Small World. Yes, it's size corrected with 2 6p maps and tunnels BUT in the end, it's a pretty light game. Nothing worse then a light game taking too long. If I'm going to be invested in a game for a couple of hours -- I'd want it to be a deep experience.

I love small world -- but I wouldn't play a 12-player game. Let alone adding a 13th for necromancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the largest size you can play is 4 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

Base game includes a five player map and later a 6 player map was released.

Also as far as the rest of the convo goes...the idea of 12 players on two 6 player maps initially fills me with excitement and the grand scale of it...but thoughts of the down time squash all that excitement right out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try some house rules. My gaming club uses a split-turn system for Eurorails which could be adapted: have two turn markers which pass around the board. Whenever you get a turn marker you play your turn. In this case there might be some interaction issues with the two current players, but you can always apply a patch of some kind, e.g. you can't attack the active race of the other current player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. St
msg tools
That actually sounds really interesting. I'd love to try that! It also fits into the theme of Small World, there isn't only one thing happening at any given moment.

One thing however is that you could only do that with an even amount of players, or each turn would have a different amount of players haven gone before hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

Base game includes a five player map and later a 6 player map was released.

Also as far as the rest of the convo goes...the idea of 12 players on two 6 player maps initially fills me with excitement and the grand scale of it...but thoughts of the down time squash all that excitement right out.

I am aware of that, but I still think the game loses fun factor exponentially with the # of players over 4. I have played a lot of games 2-4 player and I love the game. I have played 5 player about 5-6 times and I thought all of them dragged more than was fun and it became very hard to hold to a strategy when so much happened between turns. I have played 6 player one time and I would pretty much insist on playing something else instead. I can be talked into any type of gaming, but if we were playing 6 I would have to insist that every player is experienced at the game and we play a "speed" game because I think it would go long even with those qualifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / OCBG Member
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
The most I ever played was with 8 players.
We played on a Realms map that I designed.
2 of them were new players.
We used every race/power expansion available at the time (it's been a few years).
We set a player clock (using an app on my phone) so that each player had 15 minutes (we agreed on a 2-hour play).
We finished in under 2 hours, and only 1 of the players APed themselves out of all 15 of their minutes, so they forfeited their last turn (just scoring).
I would do it again. There was a LOT of player interaction, and everyone was interested in everyone else's turns, and trying to sway their decisions, etc.
It was fun with 8, but I would ONLY EVER do it with a timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.