$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Rich Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These just appeared on my FLGS's pre-order list but looks quite expensive, particularly given that it will only add 1 new adventure... Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roper
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RichmanUK wrote:
These just appeared on my FLGS's pre-order list but look quite expensive, particularly given that it will only add 1 new adventure... Thoughts?

From Fantasy Flight's Website:
Quote:
Recurring Nightmares includes eight investigator figures, eighteen plastic monster miniatures, and fifteen double-sided map tiles.

Suppressed Memories includes eight investigators, fifteen plastic monster miniatures, and seventeen double-sided map tiles.

If they both really only have 1 scenario for $49.95, they sound a bit overpriced to me. I'll probably wait till I find it at around $30 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are priced at $ 57.95 + tax + shipping in Canada.
The whole game is over-priced IMO

The price puts Madness in Mansions of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roper
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

The whole game is over-priced IMO.

I agree with this. The only reason I purchased the second edition was because I had a 40% off code at Barnes and Noble. $99 for a base game with very few components is kind of ridiculous. I guess they have to make up the cost of the apps development somehow though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
optimooseprime wrote:
grahamj wrote:

The whole game is over-priced IMO.

I agree with this. The only reason I purchased the second edition was because I had a 40% off code at Barnes and Noble. $99 for a base game with very few components is kind of ridiculous. I guess they have to make up the cost of the apps development somehow though.

The bad thing is that half of the price is caused by the huge enemy miniatures with the even huger bases... which I have never used. :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
RichmanUK wrote:
These just appeared on my FLGS's pre-order list but look quite expensive, particularly given that it will only add 1 new adventure... Thoughts?

The thing is they are not expansions in the true sense. They are not being marketed as epansions. FFG are calling them figure and tile collections. Primarily, they are a way to get the first edition tiles and figures without having to find second hand copies on eBay that may be at inflated prices.

If you are looking mainly for new scenarios, then I agree these are probably too much to purchase just for one each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Spence
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was expecting each expansion to add at least 2-3 new scenarios at the $49 price point. I wouldn't spend more than $25 for this content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received mine today, both Recurring Nightmares and Supressed Memories.

When I opened the base game (2e) my first reaction was that the game was overpriced at £70. Even accounting for the app, my opinion has not changed.

As with the base game, the tiles in the two expansions are graphically very impressive. As with the base game, the majority of the figures are underwhelming. (The black bases are detrimental to the artwork on the tiles if they are used in play of the game, imo).

Despite my questioning the value-for-money of the base game, I went ahead and purchased the two additions because I think MoM2 makes for a very good game and I wanted the experience of the app driving the game via more scenarios.

However, the two additions come in very flimsy boxes that will not last long at all, and at £38 each are further examples of a game that is over-priced (imo, others may beg to differ). As I say, even allowing for the app, I look at what I have gotten for a total of £146 and conclude that FFG are not giving true value-for-money here, at least as regards the "physical stuff".

That being said, it is a very unique and entertaining game experience so that has got to go someway to mitigating the high cost. Nevertheless, when the six scenarios have been digested, the next questions are: "Where will FFG take this game next? and how much will that cost?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
and how much will that cost?"

Let's hope that they add more scenarios that can be played for starters. And I don't mean at 4.99 - 9.99 a pop (although I am very very sure this is what will happen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yes, they are indeed expensive for what you get at this point in time. I hadn't really done much homework before buying these two expansions, so I was a bit surprised when I didn't find any cards, tokens or things like that in there, only figures and tiles.

I paid 998:- Swedish Crowns which translates to 116,89 USD, and for that price FFG could atleast have used their traditional cardboard boxes. The ones that you get are very thin and only keep their shape due to an inner ugly cardbord structure. I won't be able to use them as storage, which creates a problem now that I have a billion tiles and figures but only the base game box to store them in.

I still love the gameplay though, so I can't wait to try the new scenarios out, and I take for granted that they will continue growing the app as time goes by, either for free or for a small fee since we're paying plenty for the hardware. So in other words - when the app has been able to grow for a few years, I think that's when these expansions will really feel like they were a good buy even though they are pricey.

/N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Winterflood
England
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
However, the two additions come in very flimsy boxes that will not last long at all, and at £38 each are further examples of a game that is over-priced (imo, others may beg to differ). As I say, even allowing for the app, I look at what I have gotten for a total of £146 and conclude that FFG are not giving true value-for-money here, at least as regards the "physical stuff".

I agree. I thought great 2 new boxes that I can probably store all the figures and tiles in and then got them and found out they were cheap, flimsy boxes that wouldn't hold anything. For the price you think you could have got proper boxes, and I haven't seen FFG use this type of packaging before.

Ended up using an empty Arkham Horror box and empty Marvel Legendary core box to store all the figures in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Magro
msg tools
I have the old 1ed expansions.
Do Iunderstand corerctly I just whould not get anythingh new from buying these ones 2ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PMMagro wrote:
I have the old 1ed expansions.
Do Iunderstand corerctly I just whould not get anythingh new from buying these ones 2ed?

Correct. Everything you need is in the second edition box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
and how much will that cost?"

Let's hope that they add more scenarios that can be played for starters. And I don't mean at 4.99 - 9.99 a pop (although I am very very sure this is what will happen).

As just posted on the ffg facebook page... "Dive deeper into the insanity with the first Mansions of Madness scenario DLC, coming this winter for $2.99"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winterflood wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:

I agree. I thought great 2 new boxes that I can probably store all the figures and tiles in and then got them and found out they were cheap, flimsy boxes that wouldn't hold anything. For the price you think you could have got proper boxes, and I haven't seen FFG use this type of packaging before.

Ended up using an empty Arkham Horror box and empty Marvel Legendary core box to store all the figures in the end.

Just store the plastic figures somewhere, since you don't need to use them for play, and put everything else in the base game box.

I just wish they'd market the game with tokens and offer the plastic figures separately. But I guess that didn't work for them in descent when they sold the boss figures separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.