Subject: First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up today and my mind was thorn between excited and weary because of some negativity around the game. I wanted to share my first impressions.

I play all my Ticket to Ride games mostly 2p with my girlfriend and this was also the case today. We played on the world map of course. That was my main reason for getting it.

The game plays nearly just as quick as any of the other TTR games. We finished our game in about 50 minutes. It also feels like other TTR games with just a little more planning.

Only my GF managed to get a Tour Ticket, which can be difficult to complete, but I really like the idea. I also saw that some of the larger Tour Tickets can score you a very large amount of points, so I'm eager to try to get some of those in later games.

The game suggested starting with 20 trains and 40 ships for you first game, but we both would have like a bit more trains. The rules say you can pick however many you would like so it will probably be something like 25-35 or 30-30, depending on our tickets.

Only downside so far was that we both wanted a larger market available later in the game, so we might play with an 8 card market in stead of a 6 card market next time. We did not see either ships or trains dominating the market for many turns in a row so it worked great in that regard.

Harbors felt very powerful, but are difficult to build so that seems about right. They could be worth a little less points if you ask me. Especially 20 points for a harbor with 1 connecting ticket seems a bit much. In the end, I managed to build 1 harbor and my GF didn't and it won me the game (by 12 points). She is not as experienced in playing board games as me, so she didn't focus on building one and forgot about the harbors a little bit.

Very fun game. Worthy entry into the series and will definitely stay in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where did you pick it up> I just preordered today at CSI and am looking forward to it. Glad to hear a positive impression of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
mb
Great to see another positive review! I can't wait to play it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
where did you pick it up> I just preordered today at CSI and am looking forward to it. Glad to hear a positive impression of it.

My FLGS of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...another review that contains ideas to house-rule changes to make it better. shake
Thanks for the review. It helps me feel better about passing on this higher priced version of TTR more now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes play TTR with double routes with my girlfriend, even though the rules say to use just a single route. It's just to adjust to game to what we are looking for at the moment, which could be just a happy train route building game without any blocking. Using a house rule doesn't mean it's a bad game. It can make a good game an even better game.

I can understand that you are passing on this game because of the game. The game is expensive and also isn't essential. If you are a TTR fan, I think this should be in your collection. If you just want to own one TTR game, I would get one of the other base games in stead. They are just as good and have roughly the same feel as Rails & Sails, but are cheaper. If you play 2p mostly, definitely get Nordic Countries. It's my favorite TTR game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbus wrote:
If you just want to own one TTR game, I would get one of the other base games in stead. They are just as good and have roughly the same feel as Rails & Sails, but are cheaper.
Plus, the base games are compatible with the expansions while this doesn't have the right parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glyn spence
United Kingdom
rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played a copy at my FLGS today as a 4 player game (world map) and still on the fence about this one. The game is an improvement on base/Europe TTR if you want a more thinky "gamer" version, but the luck factor is definately still there. ie. I got lucky with original destination tickets and my 3 harbours earnt me an extra 120 points at the end of the game. Would recommend you give it a try if you get chance but it does take TTR away from being a gateway game and it depends on you if you think that's a good thing or not?

Personally TTR Europe is a game I can play with anyone/elderly parents and so has stayed in our collection after being our entry point to the hobby. TTR rails and sails is a step beyond this, so depends if you think you can talk gamers into giving it a try as most might see TTR and write it off as a "gateway" but give it a try, as it was enjoyable; it just didn't help address the luck factor personally (view after only 1 play through)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, i sold off my copy of Africa for the stake money for this one...so i'm not 'out' anything other then the opportunity of a different game. But as TTR is my mothers favorite game and she bought the other sets i can't really say 'no'.

If it's not great...we'll send it on it's way sooner or later. But it sounds like we will enjoy it.

Thanks for the review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.