United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Klingon Civil War coming up, I've been thinking about what could come next for one-shot OPs. I'm thinking an OP based on the Briar Patch mission could be fun, especially if we got to see some Son'a minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Survivors

Alien ship present on the map, attacking both teams playing. They can ignore it, or destroy it. If destroyed, it is gone for a turn, but the following turn comes back with all stats ?doubled?.

So...setup, place an 'objective' token in the center of the map. This represents the "Husnock" ship. It attacks every ship on the map within range 3 as the last step of the end phase each turn it is present. The player that destroys it scores the fleet points it is worth. Once destroyed, remove the token from the map. Place it back during the planning phase of the second turn after it is destroyed (IE., if destroyed on turn 1, place the token back on the map during planning of turn 3)

Initial Stats are: 2 (attack) / 1 (agility) / 3 (hull) / 3 (shield). Worth 18 fleet points.

2nd time, stats are: 4 (attack) / 2 (agility) / 6 (hull) / 6 (shield). Worth 36 fleet points.

3rd time, stats are: 8 (attack) / 4 (agility) / 12 (hull) / 12 (shield). Worth 72 fleet points.

4th time (although I doubt many games would last this long - for reference, anyway), stats would be: 16 (attack) / 8 (agility) / 24 (hull) / 24 (shield). Worth 144 fleet points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds cool, would the Husnock token have any repair ability though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really love a mission that makes use of the "Booby Trap" episode. I mean, heck, the Promellian Battle Cruiser is an objective token in the core set of the game!

The big gimmick of such a scenario would have to involve a lot of terrain pieces, though, which WizKids hasn't been very forthcoming with for OP events. For 'players at home' that have a pair of X-Wing core sets, the resulting dozen asteroid tokens from that could be just about perfect...

Dunno, guess they could always just use the dozen small 'mission' tokens to represent the field or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you mention that one. I've been looking at lava rocks, to try and figure out the best way to mount them for making a debris field. :3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
That sounds cool, would the Husnock token have any repair ability though?

Oh, heck no - otherwise it'd be unkillable. As it is, it should end most games before its fourth version appears (it's not like the two fleets won't be firing at each other in addition to the damage this is putting out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. What about movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not fond of OP scenarios where the "set-piece" item is essentially irrelevant to the game. In other words, where the players are likely to ignore the McGuffin and charge right for each other.

OPs like Tholian Web and Arena were both scenarios where you HAD to try to build for the scenario. It doesn't have to be that radical, but if you have an OP scenario called "Doomsday Machine" the DM better matter if you see what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want the episodic OP where you have to alter one of your ships to make a test flight at warp 10. Then your helmsman and captain de-evolve into horny lizard people and steal a shuttle to run off to a nearby planet to mate...

That really happened in an episode as sad as it is and most people refuse to acknowledge it ever existed, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
I want the episodic OP where you have to alter one of your ships to make a test flight at warp 10. Then your helmsman and captain de-evolve into horny lizard people and steal a shuttle to run off to a nearby planet to mate...

That really happened in an episode as sad as it is and most people refuse to acknowledge it ever existed, lol.

Sounds at least as though the games would play quickly so all three rounds would be over in 20 minutes total.

Actually, I'm not sure there has ever been a mission where both players were really playing "solitaire" on the same board trying to achieve some objective that doesn't involve the other player. The closest we came was that anti-borg mission where we were both damaging the cube and trying to do the most points. Even there though there was interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:

I acknowledge the episode, and I've come to the conclusion maybe it was an attempt at homage to Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide.

"You're never sure where you'll end up or even what species you'll be when you get there."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.