Subject: Preston Fairmont - Gaining Items rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a horror effect or other game effect has Preston drop an item, does he "gain" an item when/if he picks it back up during his turn using a trade action?

To take this a step further, what if he uses two trade actions to drop and then pick up an item to gain it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Gaining an item refers specifically to drawing it from the deck. Taking an item with the trade action is not gaining, as far as the rules are concerned.

This also means that if the scenario says to place an item card in a space while you're exploring, Preston does not discard a horror for picking it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Rugolo
msg tools
"Gain" is a specific keyword in this game:

GAIN

^ When an investigator gains a Common Item, Unique Item, or Condition, he claims that card, placing it faceup in his play area.
^ When an investigator gains a Spell, he claims a random copy of that card, placing it faceup (art side up) in his play area.
^ When an investigator gains a Clue, he claims that token, placing it in his play area.

I don't believe that Preston's ability would apply when you are picking up an item as "Pick Up" is a separate keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
No. Gaining an item refers specifically to drawing it from the deck. Taking an item with the trade action is not gaining, as far as the rules are concerned.

This also means that if the scenario says to place an item card in a space while you're exploring, Preston does not discard a horror for picking it up.

OK, this is as I feared, I think I let him discard horror when he picked up an item that was placed in a space during setup, such as the knife in scenario 1.

Thanks for correcting me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you're considered to be "gaining" an item when using the trade action. I think it's referring when you open a chest or a drawer or whatever and the app tells you to gain the item. For example...

"With a powerful tug, you open the drawer. Inside you find an item that looks like it has been sitting there for quite some time. Gain the Holy Water Common Item. Then discard this Search token."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, picking up items involves claiming them, not gaining them.

Given that you can do as much as you want in a Trade action, this is a good thing, as you could use one Action to drop an item, pick it up, drop it again, pick it up again and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.