Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Gary Johnson?

Because his campaign posted an altered version of a Houston cartoonist's published work without permission or attribution.

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Gary-Johnson-uses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
It's really entertaining when someone starts a thread about a Johnson screwup. At least when viewed against the many mind boggling transgressions of Hillrod and Trumpkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A (very) brief exploration on the subject indicates that they are split on it, which makes sense, as there are compelling reasons to both support and rail against it.

As a writer, I do understand the difficulties and obstacles presented by copyright. I actually do dislike many of them. Creator/Fandom involvement are also particularly strong cases for being more leniant with copyright as they often work in concert to strengthen interest in the material and benefit both the original creators and the fans.

At the same, the benefits are also fairly clear.

The article I just read (http://freenation.org/a/f31l1.html) feels like the solutions to abolishing it ultimately fall flat to me, I feel. This, in particular, feels like a concession to being unable to actually handle a situation:

Quote:
But what if I do go ahead and market your work without your permission, and without offering you any share of the profits? Is there nothing wrong with this? Can nothing be done about this?

In the case described, I don't think what I've done is unjust. That is, it's not a violation of anyone's rights. But it's tacky. Violating someone's rights is not the only way one can do something wrong; justice is not the only virtue.

But justice is the only virtue that can be legitimately enforced. If I profit from pirating your work, you have a legitimate moral claim against me, but that claim is not a right. Thus, it cannot legitimately use coercion to secure compliance. But that doesn't mean it can't be enforced through other, voluntary methods.

Goes on to speak about boycotts and such, but I'm not particularly convinced about the effectiveness of voluntary enforcement in the modern day and age.

EDIT: Expanded my post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
It's really entertaining when someone starts a thread about a Johnson screwup. At least when viewed against the many mind boggling transgressions of Hillrod and Trumpkin.

If the only standard is x/y are worse then why have a 3rd party at all, we have two flavors of that as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

I'm genuinely confused as to whether this is satire. Didn't you just post a thread complaining about how every thread, no matter what the topic, gets derailed into a discussion of Clinton/Trump?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
she2 wrote:

I'm genuinely confused as to whether this is satire. Didn't you just post a thread complaining about how every thread, no matter what the topic, gets derailed into a discussion of Clinton/Trump?

Yeah, Sue. Quit bringing the misdeeds of others into this. Altered political cartoon.... genuine outrage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
chopkins828 wrote:
she2 wrote:

I'm one of Octavian's minions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
At least when the Johnson campaign gets a pic from the Internet it's not from a white supremacist site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
jmilum wrote:
At least when the Johnson campaign gets a pic from the Internet it's not from a white supremacist site.

Hello, fellow minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
I don't know, He's the US version of Cleg.

I suspect he will prove just as big a fuck up as they are, he just has not had a chance to shine yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
IP is a tough one for libertarians.

On the one hand its *property* which is obviously awesome. On the other hand IP is intangible and utterly a legal construct completely reliant on government to recognize and enforce. And government is obviously very, very bad.

I think in practice it tends to get ignored although I'm sure someone will be along to post some article from mises.org that makes no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.