Subject: supply & river control in the Mississippi Delta rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Juliano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Using the Basic rules.)

Here's the situation in the Mississippi Delta:

The Union controls New Orleans, Proctorville, and Ship Island. Baton Rouge, too, but I think that's irrelevant.

Confederacy has forts in Vicksburg, Donaldsonville, and Algiers. Forts St. Phillip & Jackson is Confederate.

Here's how I think river control and supply shake out:
Union has full supply to New Orleans via Ship Island, the tidal river path to Proctorville, and the railroad to New Orleans. (Full supply would also be present one and two hexes west of NO, and the ones adjacent to Proctorville.) (Rule 13.4) River supply up- and downriver from NO is blocked by the fort in Algiers. (Rule 20.1)

The Confederacy controls the Mississippi from Vicksburg south to Forts StP-J.

If the Union wanted to attack Forts StP-J overland, they'd be limited to attacking with 1 SP. (Rules 10.3.4 and 11.5.3) If the Union wanted to attack Algiers, they'd be limited to 1 SP. Playing a Naval or Any card as a Naval Assist would allow 3 SPs to attack in either of these cases (18.1).

The Union's best option seems to be to fortify New Orleans. They are allowed to because it's in Full Supply, as discussed above. The river hexside between NO and Algiers becomes uncontrolled (contested seems to be a better word) (20.1.6), so 3 SPs could attack across without a card. This fort would not block Confederate control on the Mississippi, because NO does not have a river hexside apart from the one shared with Algiers. Thus, the attack on Forts StP-J would still be limited to 1 SP. But, Forts StP-J become isolated, because river supply can't pass a fortified NO (13.4.3, last paragraph, only in updated rules). So after a couple of action phases, Forts StP-J would surrender.

After Forts StP-J surrender, ocean redeployment straight to NO is still blocked by the fort in Algiers. The redeployment path via Ship Island, Proctorville, and rail is open regardless, but costs against all three redeployment limits (15.1).

Am I missing anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Union has full supply to New Orleans via Ship Island, the tidal river path to Proctorville, and the railroad to New Orleans. (Full supply would also be present one and two hexes west of NO, and the ones adjacent to Proctorville.)

Correct.

Quote:
River supply up- and downriver from NO is blocked by the fort in Algiers.

Actually, you are missing the more important fact that New Orleans is not located in either a Northern or Border state. As a result, it cannot be a source of Union Naval Control (20.1.3). Thus, River Supply cannot emanate from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Confederacy controls the Mississippi from Vicksburg south to Forts StP-J.

Correct.

Quote:
If the Union wanted to attack Forts StP-J overland, they'd be limited to attacking with 1 SP. (Rules 10.3.4 and 11.5.3)

Correct.

Quote:
If the Union wanted to attack Algiers, they'd be limited to 1 SP.

Correct.

Quote:
Playing a Naval or Any card as a Naval Assist would allow 3 SPs to attack in either of these cases (18.1).

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Union's best option seems to be to fortify New Orleans. They are allowed to because it's in Full Supply, as discussed above. The river hexside between NO and Algiers becomes uncontrolled (contested seems to be a better word) (20.1.6), so 3 SPs could attack across without a card.

I won't comment on whether it is the best option. However, you can build a Fort in New Orleans and it would have the effect you indicate above when it is completed.

Quote:
This fort would not block Confederate control on the Mississippi, because NO does not have a river hexside apart from the one shared with Algiers.

Incorrect. A Union fort in New Orleans would block Confederate Naval Control along the hexside between Algiers and New Orleans despite the Confederate fort in Algiers. As you noted above, the hexside is Uncontrolled from a Naval Control perspective. A fort cannot be used to cancel out the ability of an enemy fort to block friendly Naval Control. It can only make the hexside Uncontrolled by either side.

Quote:
Thus, the attack on Forts StP-J would still be limited to 1 SP.

It would still be limited to 1 SP because Forts StP/-J are a source of Confederate Naval Control for purposes of its hex and hexsides (only) per the last bullet of 20.1.3. However, it is also a source of Confederate Naval Control up the Mississippi because it is a port (10.3.2 and 2nd bullet of 20.1.3).

Quote:
But, Forts StP-J become isolated, because river supply can't pass a fortified NO (13.4.3, last paragraph, only in updated rules). So after a couple of action phases, Forts StP-J would surrender.

Only if you have blocked the Limited Supply path from Forts StP-J to 5015 to 4914 to the Fort in Algiers with SPs, forts or ZOIs as the Algiers/4914 hexside is under Confederate Naval Control due to the fort in Algiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Juliano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,
Thank you very much for your careful examination of this scenario! It's extremely helpful for learning this game.

You're right, I had completely whiffed on the significance of 20.1.3a (where a = first bullet) for Union naval control from New Orleans. I see now that capturing Fort StP-J not only facilitates reinforcements, but allows Union naval control. This makes sense --- it's hard to get those ships onto the train from Proctorville.

I had also missed "...or going beyond it" in 20.1.4. I think I was confused by the note in 20.1.4b:
Quote:
PLAY NOTE: The Port affects all Navigable hexsides in the hex, not just the hexside closest to the Town. In cases where two different unconnected rivers run along the same hex (like Dover), the port only affects the river the port is on.

I was thinking the port of Algiers affected all three river hexsides, not just the one it's on. But 20.1.4 is just about *blocking* control, not all aspects of being a port. If Algiers was on its hex's east side, naval control could start past a fortified NO and go downriver. But it's on the northeast hexside, so the fort blocks it (regardless of a friendly fort in Algiers). Right?

I want to make sure I entirely understand this point:

Quote:
Quote:
But, Forts StP-J become isolated, because river supply can't pass a fortified NO (13.4.3, last paragraph, only in updated rules). So after a couple of action phases, Forts StP-J would surrender.

Only if you have blocked the Limited Supply path from Forts StP-J to 5015 to 4914 to the Fort in Algiers with SPs, forts or ZOIs as the Algiers/4914 hexside is under Confederate Naval Control due to the fort in Algiers.

I don't see why the local naval control offered by the fort in Algiers (20.1.3d) matters for a LOC from Forts StP-J. If NO has a Union fort and Algiers is unfortified, the Mississippi hexside east of Algiers would still be Confederate controlled, right? The control emanates from Forts StP-J, as you pointed out (10.3.2d and 20.1.3b).

(This is all academic, because in the scenario in question, a Union SP in New Orleans has a ZoI to 4914, thereby blocking the LOC. I'm just trying to understand how all these rules interact.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was thinking the port of Algiers affected all three river hexsides, not just the one it's on. But 20.1.4 is just about *blocking* control, not all aspects of being a port. If Algiers was on its hex's east side, naval control could start past a fortified NO and go downriver. But it's on the northeast hexside, so the fort blocks it (regardless of a friendly fort in Algiers). Right?

Confederate ports on the Type 2 Navigable Rivers (the Ohio and Mississippi) never block Union Naval Control. So, the hexside on which Algiers is located is irrelevant with respect to blocking Union Naval Control.

This said, forts block enemy Naval Control along all of the hexsides of the hex in which the fort is located. So, the fort in Algiers blocks Union Naval Control along all of Navigable River hexsides of the Algiers' hex.

When the port of Algiers is used as a source of Confederate Naval Control, that Naval Control emanates from the hexside on which Algiers is located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't see why the local naval control offered by the fort in Algiers (20.1.3d) matters for a LOC from Forts StP-J. If NO has a Union fort and Algiers is unfortified, the Mississippi hexside east of Algiers would still be Confederate controlled, right? The control emanates from Forts StP-J, as you pointed out (10.3.2d and 20.1.3b).

You are correct that, if the Confederate fort wasn't in Algiers, the LOC would still be available due to Confederate Naval Control emanating form Ft. STP-J.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Juliano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.