Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one of the components I've been trying out for a space station expansion: a hydroponics module.

The hydroponics module has a mass of 10, so it's pretty heavy. If there's an astronaut present at the start of the year (that isn't needed for any other similar task), the module produces 1 food (that can be used to feed astronauts, but not repair damaged components).

What do you think of this?

(You guys were right, 10 mass was way too heavy. Still working out the details, but it'll be a lot lighter.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say without some play experimentation. I am inclined to think it sounds somewhat unattractive due to the mass involved. Typically when I play, I use the extra few points of mass available on a rocket to shuttle some extra supplies, probes or landers into orbit for later use. Usually it's not too problematic to just make sure enough supplies for the mission are accounted for, and even then it's only really a substantial number on a long trip with several multi-year maneuvers.

Definitely an interesting idea, and I am interested in the idea of expanding on space stations with future expansions. The above is just initial thoughts based on the snippet of a 10 mass module that also requires an astronaut to be available to operate. An automated unit that doesn't require attendance would be more attractive. Whether too powerful or not, I have no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! I've thought about trying to create remote outposts using the base game and Outer Planets. A space station would be really neat!

What about a component that allowed you to synthesize hydrogen from sites that have liquid water? Perhaps there could be a rocket advancement that you don't discard the rocket when you use it for thrust, but you do discard the hydrogen (fuel) component?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to just sending up 10 supplies? It doesn't seem like a practical option unless the expected mission is more than 10 years and no more than a single astronaut at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
East Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
Compared to just sending up 10 supplies? It doesn't seem like a practical option unless the expected mission is more than 10 years and no more than a single astronaut at a time.

I do believe that 1 Supply (I assume also 1 "Food") feeds all present astronauts, fwiw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
rmanning wrote:

I do believe that 1 Supply (I assume also 1 "Food") feeds all present astronauts, fwiw.
Well, up to 5, yes.

Perhaps smaller components, say a power supply of mass 2 that can power up to 4 or 5 hydroponics units each of mass 2 that supply a single astronaut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By what logic would it be such a single, massive part? Why can't it be split into several launches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How I read the post:

buffalohat wrote:
Blah blah blah, blah blah... surprisesurpriseSPACE STATION EXPANSIONsurprisesurprise... blah hydroponics module blah blah...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:

Was my opinion until just now, because:
Now that I think of it, if you have up to 5 of these, you could make net 4 food per year, which is actually pretty good. Dunno if this could even be possible to do though, and if the investment would be worth it in terms of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
rmanning wrote:

Now that I think of it, if you have up to 5 of these, you could make net 4 food per year, which is actually pretty good. Dunno if this could even be possible to do though, and if the investment would be worth it in terms of points.
If each feeds a single astronaut, five would be the equivalent of one supply that can't be used for repairs. I thinking making it part of the end of year sequence would be better -- any food not immediately used is wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
Dagar wrote:
rmanning wrote:

If each feeds a single astronaut, five would be the equivalent of one supply that can't be used for repairs. I thinking making it part of the end of year sequence would be better -- any food not immediately used is wasted.

I thought a supply feeds 5? So one of those modules feeds the five workers, the other 4 deliver spare supplies. Although if you got the time to shoot 50 weight units into orbit just to get 4 food per turn, supporting 20 astronauts, I wonder what kind of mission there has to be in order to make that feasible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would take a very unusual set-up for this to have value in the current game. Especially if this takes researching more advanced tech together with outcome cards. In that case you are comparing completely reliable supplies to more expensive unreliable technology.

However, who knows what the Space Station expansion will look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mideg wrote:
I thought a supply feeds 5? So one of those modules feeds the five workers, the other 4 deliver spare supplies. Although if you got the time to shoot 50 weight units into orbit just to get 4 food per turn, supporting 20 astronauts, I wonder what kind of mission there has to be in order to make that feasible?

That's how I understood it. And the example of 5 Hydro modules was just the optimal supply production. You could also do two modules and generate a food per turn

Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
: I suppose it works like normal supply (in that one unit feeds up to five astronauts), just that you cannot repair with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Davis
msg tools
buffalohat wrote:
the module produces 1 food (that can be used to feed astronauts, but not repair damaged components).

I would think that a simpler way to represent that (without introducing a new type of resource) would be "at the end of the year, for each hydroponics module that is present on a vessel, up to X astronauts on that vessel do not require supplies that year."

Overall a very cool idea, though a single monolithic object with mass 10 would be inconvenient at best--unless the time period of the game is extended by quite a bit, I don't think there would be any situations for which the hydroponics module would be more advantageous than simply sending 10 supplies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are a couple of outer planets set ups where it might be useful to establish a scientific base on a distant moon (if the component is reliable and doesn't require anything more advanced than life support technology).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rakaydos Vashini
msg tools
Does food have mass? Can it be shipped to other places without hauling the entire station?

10 mass... Double Soyeuz carries 7, single Saturn carries 5, double saturn carries 20. Soyuz/Proton is 8. So not something you can lift with a single stack, ever. (until the Orion expansion...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.