Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Wright
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm getting excited for my copy to get here so I can Bask in it's glory.(yes. I've seen the reviews. Still looks like my group would love it.) So I'm wanting to paint my ships when they get here, and I'm wondering what size base would work best.
Also wondering if someone can upload a close-up pic of the ships?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if during gameplay, you're instructed to physically set fire to the ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure you are going to want to put them on a base. The main reason is that many ships can be in the same space and having bases would make it were they would not fit. At least from what I have seen so far.

However I think it will be cool if the are painted, just avoid basing them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is the ships are the same as those used in Merchants and Marauders. Perhaps this picture might be useful?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/835772/merchants-maraude...

Correction: Although the ships are similar, I've been told they aren't the same -- and after looking at the pictures of each, I have to agree. So this picture is less useful than I thought, and I don't know of a better one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, they are the Merchants and Marauders ships. They do just fine without any base. The only M&M ships that would have benefited from a base were the tiniest ones that were prone to tipping over, but I don't think those are in Seafall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
tecslicer wrote:
So I'm getting excited for my copy to get here so I can Bask in it's glory.

No pun intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
My understanding is the ships are the same as those used in Merchants and Marauders. Perhaps this picture might be useful?

This game should have been titled "Merchants and Marauders Legacy"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wright
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benmartell wrote:
tecslicer wrote:
So I'm getting excited for my copy to get here so I can Bask in it's glory.

No pun intended?

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU COULD MEAN...

juanma99 wrote:

I would cry, and go get my matches.

mcs1213 wrote:
I am not sure you are going to want to put them on a base. The main reason is that many ships can be in the same space and having bases would make it were they would not fit. At least from what I have seen so far.

Thanks. I've seen that there might be a bunch of ships in the same space, but still think I might want to base the small ones with a small base. Nothing elaborate, (No marvelously painted, hand-sculpted waves crashing against the bow of the ship for me. no pod of dolphins skipping alongside the ships. no whale breaching with a plume of water like a miniature explosion of jello...) just some weight on the bottom to keep them upright and add some heft. I'll just have to wait to see for myself if I want it or not.

Found this pic in the M&M gallery. Really like his style here. Thanks for the heads up that they are the same as M&M ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:

Evil. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Becq wrote:

They are not the same ships as those from M&M. They are similiar, but different ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wright
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
Becq wrote:

They are not the same ships as those from M&M. They are similiar, but different ships.

*sigh...* I'll get the matches...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tecslicer wrote:
mcs1213 wrote:

Thanks. I've seen that there might be a bunch of ships in the same space, but still think I might want to base the small ones with a small base. Nothing elaborate, (No marvelously painted, hand-sculpted waves crashing against the bow of the ship for me. no pod of dolphins skipping alongside the ships. no whale breaching with a plume of water like a miniature explosion of jello...) just some weight on the bottom to keep them upright and add some heft. I'll just have to wait to see for myself if I want it or not.

Both ships are approximately the same size so I don't think just basing the "smaller" ones over basing both is going to save you space. I know in our games it has not been uncommon to have 6 if not 8 ships in one place. We are using the max (5) players. Also as for them falling over, they have stayed upright 95 - 99 % of the time, so no so much of a reason for that. Overall I think your last point it spot on, you will just have to wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that they are actually the same ship miniatures as M&M (one of the two ship types is from the expansion to M&M though while the other is the same as one of the ships in the base game.)

I believe the smaller ship is the "brig" and the other is the "frigate" from M&M. The "sloop", "flute" and "galleon" miniatures from M&M are not in Seafall.

I've almost finished painting all of the ships from M&M and its expansion. I don't think they need bases but then one does tend to knock them over a bit (especially the smallest ones). You spend much of the game standing them up (or at least I do).

Think I will paint the ships in Seafall too since they are pretty quick to paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wright
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the ships primed and the base colors on now. I am definitely going to base the bigger ships, they just tip over too easily.

The blue is a bit too dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice dude. Here are my painted ships from M & M (still waiting for Seafall). Struggling to find the motivation to finish the last nine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wright
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, very nice! I've been looking for good ideas on what patterns to put on the sails. I thing I can manage the blue's Trident, but the other stuff might be too intricate for me. What color did you use for the rigging? I still need to color my ropes, but can't decide what shade...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I can't remember the colours' names I'm afraid. I based them all with a brown spray paint. Then inked them with a dark brown ink. Then dry brushed them with a medium brown (possibly GW's snakebite leather or something slightly lighter). This was all over the models including the sails but concentrating on the poles, body and rigging. Then, with a very small brush, I carefully painted the sails (with a white undercoat for the yellow). For the sails I just went with the base colour, then I inked them, then I carefully dry-brushed the sails in successive lighter shades of the base colour.

Then I ruined them all by spraying them (far too much) with a very heavy coat of GW's purity seal and they all became frosty and slightly opaque! Then I gave up on the idea and just got angry whenever I looked at them. Then I heard that you can paint varnish with a brush directly onto models like that and the hoary, frostiness disappears. I was pretty relieved that it worked as the mini's before all looked like they were in a blizzard. I think I tend to overdo the varnish spray since I want people to be able to touch the models a lot without fear of messing up the paint job.

For the bases, I imagine what might work is if you cut out a piece of thickish card slightly bigger than the bottom of each ship (and used the first cutout as a template for the rest so they are all uniform - for one size of ship at least) you could paint that a similar colour to the sea on the board and then glue the ship to it. That would probably help keep them from falling over too much. Card might warp a bit though so either make it only a very few mm wider than the ship or use something slightly thicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.