Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can somebody explain the no transit boxes or the available routes on this map? To my understanding I need to go through Alaska, not sure why, to get to Kuril Islands, Sea of Japan, and East China Sea. Empire Waters seems to be off limits, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Matt, am not sure exactly what you're asking? But here's what I think you're looking for:

The "No Transit" areas simply mean that you can't cross any portion of a line that touches a "No Transit" area. To clarify, you can cross the portion of a line that doesn't bound a "No Transit" area, but you can't cross the portion of that same line that does bound a "No Transit" area.

For instance, looking at the 1942 map, you can travel from the Marianas to the East China Sea, but you can't travel from the Marianas to the Empire Waters due to the "No Transit" area situated directly to the left of the Marianas. So you can cross the portion of the line that doesn't bound the "No Transit" area, but you can't cross the portion of that same (or any) line that does bound a "No Transit" area.

Given the very no-frills style of these maps, I find this system of representing distance to be quite elegant, actually!

To the rest of your question:
Since the 1942 map is the only map with Alaska, I assume you're asking about that map as an example. And I assume you're starting in the Bonins Islands. Assuming so:
- No, you do NOT need to go through Alaska to get to the Kuril Islands. You can get there by going through the Empire Waters. Of course if you look on map, this is the most direct way to transit from the Bonins to the Kurils. Alaska (the Aleutians) is adjacent to the Bonins only as that's the next "in play" geographic area to the northeast of the Bonins.

HOWEVER, you do have a point in the sense that by going through Alaska to get to the Kurils, you'd need to draw only one Event Card instead of three. Thusly the game is abstracting an easier trip, not necessarily a longer one. This game abstracts distance not by miles, but by events! (BTW, the game, Silent Victory abstracts distance the same way. That game can have you cross a thousand miles in about three seconds of actual game play time as nothing typically happens. Given that the trip is relatively event-free, the game puts you into automatic "skip time" mode!. I believe that's what Gato Leader is doing here, as well)!

To get to the Sea of Japan from the Bonins, you have several possible routes:
* Bonins - Marianas - East China Sea - Sea of Japan
* Bonins - Empire Waters - Kuril Islands or East China Sea - Sea of Japan
* Bonins - Alaska - Kuril Islands - Sea of Japan

Edit: It just dawned on me that you may be starting at Pearl (for some reason, the way you worded your OP had me assuming you were starting rom the Bonins)... Anyway, if you're starting at Pearl Harbor, you can get to the Sea of Japan this way:
* Marianas - East China Sea - Sea of Japan
or to get to the Kurils:
* Marianas - Bonins - Empire - Kurils
or
* Marianas - East China Sea - Empire - Kurils

Edit: After re-reading your question, I figured a visual aid may help. So, using the same paths as I listed above (before the edit), starting from the Bonins, these are your first possible moves:

(Note that I don't show arrows going from the East China Sea or the Kurils TO Empire Waters. That was an oversight on my part. Of course, you can! I also omitted the arrows to and from the Sea of Japan, for simplicity sake).

Basically, the "Do Not Enter" symbols ("No Transit" areas) are informing you that you can't transit directly from the Bonins to the Kurils, or from the Bonins to the East China Sea (not illustrated), or from Marianas directly to the Empire waters.

Edit: See below for better visual aids!

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, totally different than I thought. Thanks for the great examples, appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm glad that helped! But with a new morning comes a fresher mind. I realized I could've been much clearer with the visual aid, so here are two visual aids that do a better job of depicting exactly how the "No Transit" areas work.

The top image shows how the "No Transit" areas block your movement path from one area to another. Specifically, the "No Transit" areas on the 1942 map serve to prevent direct movement from:
- The Bonins to the Kuril Islands (and vice versa)
- The Bonins to the East China Sea (and vice versa)
- The Empire Waters to the Sea of Japan (and vice versa)

The bottom image shows all the movement paths that ARE allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.