Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The remaining Simmons Games inventory of Napoleon's Triumph is now* will shortly be available for sale. For a variety of reasons, it is my intent to sell it on eBay. (The original ecommerce infrastructure of Simmons Games doesn't exist any more, and this inventory, in and of itself, doesn't justify the expense and trouble of recreating it.)

For a variety of reasons (like avoiding scalper resales), I've decided to sell at auction, with a cap at $150. The profits should, frankly, also be useful for recapitalizing the business for a restart down the road.

* Evidently there is some lag between when eBay tells me the item is for sale, and when anybody else can actually see it. Should be soon? My inexperience with eBay is showing, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news for those poor souls who do not own this brilliant game.
Better news is the restart of Simmons Games.
Great news Rachel! Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent that copies of NT will become available for folks who originally tumbled too late to its charms and excitement!

And even excellenter that Simmons Games will return!! That is cool!

Cheers,
/Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I would love to get my hands on a copy. I missed out before.

I'll be like an Ninja for this! ninja

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No better game. Ever. Thankfully, I have my copy safely tucked away.

Is Stavka still a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I let mine go a few years ago to pay the bills. It's great to hear I might get another chance at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen Jans
Canada
flag msg tools
Woohoo! hopefully can get myself a copy under 100$ since my budget is kind of tight right now.

I will eagerly await the new beginning of Simmons Games nonetheless laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*ready to fight*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
please do post a link. Hope the new business will be a success-

P.S. what are "scalper resales"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
millenium_baby wrote:
P.S. what are "scalper resales"?

People that purchase a large number of specific goods that are in high demand with the purpose of reselling those items later on for an artificially inflated price are scalpers.

Do we know how many copies will be put up for sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
artificially inflated price

This phrase is nonsense. All prices have an artificial character. Their inflation or deflation is always the result of some arbitrariness. Unless you are buying or selling in a market with large volume based on aggregate sales where you can select a "market price" generically rather than set your own, your price is artificial. Of course, such an organic function of market pricing is set by the aggregation of speculative activity (cf. scalping or losing one's shirt, depending).

Nevertheless, given the demand for Napoleon's Triumph, Simmons Games should do whatever possible to capture as much profit representing that demand rather than let it go to speculators. On the other hand, selling lower than speculative amounts is a way of ensuring a (slightly) smaller profit sooner to maximize certainty and time value on money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any kind of like, spare blocks that could be for sale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
andrewbwm wrote:
artificially inflated price

This phrase is nonsense. All prices have an artificial character. Their inflation or deflation is always the result of some arbitrariness. Unless you are buying or selling in a market with large volume based on aggregate sales where you can select a "market price" generically rather than set your own, your price is artificial. Of course, such an organic function of market pricing is set by the aggregation of speculative activity (cf. scalping or losing one's shirt, depending).

Nevertheless, given the demand for Napoleon's Triumph, Simmons Games should do whatever possible to capture as much profit representing that demand rather than let it go to speculators. On the other hand, selling lower than speculative amounts is a way of ensuring a (slightly) smaller profit sooner to maximize certainty and time value on money.

I agree with everything you said. I might not have been very clear or just chose my words poorly.

What I was suggesting was a situation where a very small demand and supply cycle gets distorted by people who control significant amount of the supply and just choose to go for an extreme price point that is more likely to discourage demand rather than satisfy it, even in a limited fashion. Discussing such aspects of economics is way beyond my actual understanding of the process, this needs to be taken with a big grain of salt.

I was in no way implying that what Rachel is doing is subject to that. I think her decision is perfectly reasonable and I am eager to purchase one of the copies up for sale. 150$ is probably more than I would have been willing to pay for the game, especially when considering shipping to Sweden and potential customs charges. However, knowing that (almost) all that money is going directly to the game's creator makes me extremely happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! I just may see about getting a second copy. This is easily in my top 5 games of all time. I just wish I got it played more.

I hope your decision to sell the inventory means you'll be creating and distributing more games! I've got GoG waiting unplayed and I'm constantly on the lookout for a reasonably priced copy of BaM. Whatever you produce next, I'll be getting sight unseen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
The remaining Simmons Games inventory of Napoleon's Triumph is now* will shortly be available for sale. For a variety of reasons, it is my intent to sell it on eBay. (The original ecommerce infrastructure of Simmons Games doesn't exist any more, and this inventory, in and of itself, doesn't justify the expense and trouble of recreating it.)

For a variety of reasons (like avoiding scalper resales), I've decided to sell at auction, with a cap at $150. The profits should, frankly, also be useful for recapitalizing the business for a restart down the road.

* Evidently there is some lag between when eBay tells me the item is for sale, and when anybody else can actually see it. Should be soon? My inexperience with eBay is showing, I think.

If you're planning to max out at $150, you could probably just as easily list all of your inventory in the same Fixed Price Listing at that price. My guess is that much of your inventory will go. And you can also to elect to receive offers from other eBay buyers once your sales slow.

I personally would buy at $150 from you if I didn't have to go through the auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
bowen wrote:

If you're planning to max out at $150, you could probably just as easily list all of your inventory in the same Fixed Price Listing at that price. My guess is that much of your inventory will go. And you can also to elect to receive offers from other eBay buyers once your sales slow.

I personally would buy at $150 from you if I didn't have to go through the auction.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
bowen wrote:

I don't have a lot of sense of how this is going to go right now. It is possible that the auction is unnecessary, but we'll see. Certainly if they all max out the bid, and keep doing so, then there is no reason to sell that way.

I suppose what I imagine is after an initial rush at $150, prices will drop, but I have no way of knowing for sure or by how much.

(Incidentally, $150 is the buy-right-now price. You can just "bid" $150, and that means that it's yours.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Rachel,

I took a look at the listing. You're not offering shipping outside the States?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Good luck with the sale! I can't justify $150 right now (I'm not holding my breath that the price will dip any/much lower than that ), so I'm hoping that with the restarting of Simmons Games I'll one day be able to buy a reprint! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't find anything on Ebay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
Can't find anything on Ebay...

You'll only see it on ebay.com because the listing doesn't offer shipping outside the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at ebay.com.
At least I think I was...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
I'm looking at ebay.com.
At least I think I was...

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It looks like this is set to be an auction starting at $150, not capped at $150. If it is desired to cap it at $150, create a buy-it-now auction with the quantity desired to sell at $150. Leave it up for a month. Reassess after a month.

Then if there is remaining inventory, start an auction at $1, see how high it sells for and list the remaining inventory at a buy-it-now of that price. Seems like that would do the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
hedererp wrote:

Hi Rachel,

I took a look at the listing. You're not offering shipping outside the States?

Not yet. It's an additional complication. Once/if I can get things running smoothly for U.S. buyers, then I will add international support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.