$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

WarQuest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions Concerning Movement, Artifacts, Quests, etc. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) Is Metrun one single region or does that river separate it into two?

2.) When a leader (warlord or leutenant) is defeated in a 'Quest', is it like being defeated in battle where all of the troops are lost and the warlord gets spawned somewhere new and the leutenant is just gone or is the quest just failed and discarded and the leader is still around?

3.) The rules mention that each leader can only have one artifact. Does this mean that artifacts can only be used by the leader that successfully finds one (so they are unlike power cards that are shared by all leaders), or does that mean you can only have as many artifacts as you have leaders and all leaders can take advantage of all artifacts you own as a player?

4.) There are some regions, separated by a river, where it looks like you have your pick of two regions to end up in because the region boundary is just over enough that you could squeeze through. For example, if I was in Perz, it looks like I can cross the bridge to the south no problem, but it also looks like I could cross the river south into Bhurgal as well due to that tiny overlap in region boundaries.

5.) The rules mention that taking a movement action allows a total of three regions worth of movement divided among a player's armies. Does that mean that I can move three regions and that counts as one action for moving and so I still have two actions left or does each region of movement count as an action? I've been playing as though, for example, my Warlord's unit moves one region, so one action, my leutenant's unit moves one region (2nd action), and then finally I choose to tax one of my cities for my third and final action of the turn and it is now the next players turn. Is that correct? Or should it be more like I move my Leutenant 2 regions, my Warlord 1 region and this all is counted as one action so now I have two further actions still to take so I can then tax a region and buy a power card, for example?

6.) (What this boils down to is if the 'Goblin Hordes' event fought like a player vs. player battle using the battle boards. Also, when combining multiple armies into a battle, do you use all of the leaders?) I had the Goblin Hordes event, so I placed the four goblins in the appropriate region. When I sent in two armies, one with a warlord and one with a leutenant, I combined them as per the rules. I assumed that meant both the leutenant and warlord could participate in the battle, so I put them both in reserve. I fought the battle as if it was against another player on the player boards with ranks. I also decided to use a glorious victory conquest card and aquired additional victory points as if it were a regular battle. Did I do this correctly?

7.) Finally, a quesiton about 'The Old Wall'. I assume that it and the mountains it is attached to separate the regions containing An'Dar and the City of Ancients, and that you have to be in the An'Dar region to be able to use the old wall quest card. I ask because there appears to be a little road coming out of the north side of the mountains if you look carefully, as if this was a passage through the mountains. I know roads don't have rules yet, so I thought I'd see if anything was special about it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LegoRick wrote:
1.) Is Metrun one single region or does that river separate it into two?
I believe rivers are borders. I infer this from the rule about having to stop after crossing a river. (I do not recall it being explicitly stated.)

LegoRick wrote:
2.) When a leader (warlord or leutenant) is defeated in a 'Quest', is it like being defeated in battle where all of the troops are lost and the warlord gets spawned somewhere new and the leutenant is just gone or is the quest just failed and discarded and the leader is still around?
I believe the leader is not returned to supply as the rules explicitly state that a companion is returned to supply if defeated on a quest.

LegoRick wrote:
3.) The rules mention that each leader can only have one artifact. Does this mean that artifacts can only be used by the leader that successfully finds one (so they are unlike power cards that are shared by all leaders), or does that mean you can only have as many artifacts as you have leaders and all leaders can take advantage of all artifacts you own as a player?
I recall being confused about this but eventually deciding that any leader can use it (as it is "the player's hand") but each artifact can only be used once per turn.

LegoRick wrote:
4.) There are some regions, separated by a river, where it looks like you have your pick of two regions to end up in because the region boundary is just over enough that you could squeeze through. For example, if I was in Perz, it looks like I can cross the bridge to the south no problem, but it also looks like I could cross the river south into Bhurgal as well due to that tiny overlap in region boundaries.
I THINK yes the corner cases allow the choice. I honestly have not studied the map, but I was following the roads - Which are not mentioned in the rules so I was thinking about snow, etc. as I mentioned in the other thread.

LegoRick wrote:
5.) The rules mention that taking a movement action allows a total of three regions worth of movement divided among a player's armies. Does that mean that I can move three regions and that counts as one action for moving and so I still have two actions left or does each region of movement count as an action? I've been playing as though, for example, my Warlord's unit moves one region, so one action, my leutenant's unit moves one region (2nd action), and then finally I choose to tax one of my cities for my third and final action of the turn and it is now the next players turn. Is that correct? Or should it be more like I move my Leutenant 2 regions, my Warlord 1 region and this all is counted as one action so now I have two further actions still to take so I can then tax a region and buy a power card, for example?
Three armies may be moved up to three areas each for one action (after all movement, combat is resolved). As stated in the rules.

LegoRick wrote:
6.) (What this boils down to is if the 'Goblin Hordes' event fought like a player vs. player battle using the battle boards. Also, when combining multiple armies into a battle, do you use all of the leaders?) I had the Goblin Hordes event, so I placed the four goblins in the appropriate region. When I sent in two armies, one with a warlord and one with a leutenant, I combined them as per the rules. I assumed that meant both the leutenant and warlord could participate in the battle, so I put them both in reserve. I fought the battle as if it was against another player on the player boards with ranks. I also decided to use a glorious victory conquest card and aquired additional victory points as if it were a regular battle. Did I do this correctly?
I recall no restrictions about how many leaders can occupy a single area. How else would you be able to combine armies for combat? You have to have a leader have/move an army. I THINK part of the strategy is to take your leaders a'recruiting so you can build a large enough army to stomp an opponent.

LegoRick wrote:
7.) Finally, a quesiton about 'The Old Wall'. I assume that it and the mountains it is attached to separate the regions containing An'Dar and the City of Ancients, and that you have to be in the An'Dar region to be able to use the old wall quest card. I ask because there appears to be a little road coming out of the north side of the mountains if you look carefully, as if this was a passage through the mountains. I know roads don't have rules yet, so I thought I'd see if anything was special about it.
I have not read the card or studied the map. That is a tomorrow activity if I am lucky.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Someone from Mr. B Games is going to respond to these questions on the KS page (I had also posted them there) so when he gets back to me I'll paste a copy of his answers here.

martimer wrote:
Three armies may be moved up to three areas each for one action (after all movement, combat is resolved). As stated in the rules.


I'm not sure if I'm reading your response correctly, but what I think you mean is that you can move each of your armies three spaces each, so I could move my Warlord's army up to three regions and then also move my leutenant's army up to three regions, and all of that is considered only one action? If that is the case, I don't believe that is correct. The rules say that you get three regions worth of movement to divide up between your leaders. That much is clear, as the rules give an example of how you can move one leader two regions and another leader one. My quesiton was if those three regions of movement was each an action or all three regions of movement divided up between your leaders just one action.

martimer wrote:
I recall no restrictions about how many leaders can occupy a single area. How else would you be able to combine armies for combat? You have to have a leader have/move an army. I THINK part of the strategy is to take your leaders a'recruiting so you can build a large enough army to stomp an opponent.


Actually, my question here was not about if leaders could occupy the same region, because they defintitely can, but when you are in a battle, do you bring both of the leader figures with you to the battle board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
AHA! Official answers provided in BOLD. I was suprised by a couple of these!

1.) Is Metrun one single region or does that river separate it into two?
A: It is ONE region! The river that cuts this region in half can be crossed without affecting your movement!

2.) When a leader (warlord or leutenant) is defeated in a 'Quest', is it like being defeated in battle where all of the troops are lost and the warlord gets spawned somewhere new and the leutenant is just gone or is the quest just failed and discarded and the leader is still around?
A: When a leader loses a quest, you do not lose the leader. The quest card is placed on the bottom of the quest deck and you draw a new one. You took an action to go on the quest and did not succeed - that is your penalty.

3.) The rules mention that each leader can only have one artifact. Does this mean that artifacts can only be used by the leader that successfully finds one (so they are unlike power cards that are shared by all leaders), or does that mean you can only have as many artifacts as you have leaders and all leaders can take advantage of all artifacts you own as a player?
A: Artifacts are tied to a specific leader. They are a random part of the game and as such we wanted to manage their power and this rule worked thematically (a power card is purchased in a market and therefore is more of an asset for the army, whereas an artifact is more of a questlike journey made by a particular leader).

4.) There are some regions, separated by a river, where it looks like you have your pick of two regions to end up in because the region boundary is just over enough that you could squeeze through. For example, if I was in Perz, it looks like I can cross the bridge to the south no problem, but it also looks like I could cross the river south into Bhurgal as well due to that tiny overlap in region boundaries.
A: You can cross from Perz into Bhurgal but as you are crossing a river, this would end your move. So those borders that do not match up exactly do mean that you can cross into adjacent provinces.

5.) The rules mention that taking a movement action allows a total of three regions worth of movement divided among a player's armies. Does that mean that I can move three regions and that counts as one action for moving and so I still have two actions left or does each region of movement count as an action? I've been playing as though, for example, my Warlord's unit moves one region, so one action, my leutenant's unit moves one region (2nd action), and then finally I choose to tax one of my cities for my third and final action of the turn and it is now the next players turn. Is that correct? Or should it be more like I move my Leutenant 2 regions, my Warlord 1 region and this all is counted as one action so now I have two further actions still to take so I can then tax a region and buy a power card, for example?
A: When you choose the 'Movement' action, you are allowed to move three regions (divided as you see fit among your leaders) and this is considered ONE action. Meaning, you can move a total of three regions with your armies and then you still have two actions left.

6.) (What this boils down to is if the 'Goblin Hordes' event fought like a player vs. player battle using the battle boards. Also, when combining multiple armies into a battle, do you use all of the leaders?) I had the Goblin Hordes event, so I placed the four goblins in the appropriate region. When I sent in two armies, one with a warlord and one with a leutenant, I combined them as per the rules. I assumed that meant both the leutenant and warlord could participate in the battle, so I put them both in reserve. I fought the battle as if it was against another player on the player boards with ranks. I also decided to use a glorious victory conquest card and aquired additional victory points as if it were a regular battle. Did I do this correctly?
A: The 'Glorious Victory' conquest card is only used in player vs. player battles. You are able to use multiple leader figures on a single battle board. When entering into a battle with an NPC army (such as the Goblin Horde event card) you do lay everything out on the battle boards and play it out like you would a battle, including receiving victory points for each elimitated opposing figure.

7.) Finally, a quesiton about 'The Old Wall'. I assume that it and the mountains it is attached to separate the regions containing An'Dar and the City of Ancients, and that you have to be in the An'Dar region to be able to use the old wall quest card. I ask because there appears to be a little road coming out of the north side of the mountains if you look carefully, as if this was a passage through the mountains. I know roads don't have rules yet, so I thought I'd see if anything was special about it.
A: This is correct. The mountains separating An'Dar and City of Ancients are a boundry line dividing these into their own regions. 'The Old Wall' can only be entered (for Quest purposes) from the An'Dar region.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick - to clarify on 1 - That river is inside the space so you never actually cross it. so depending on how you move to Metrun, you might have to stop (if coming in from vandaria) but you would not have to if coming from above.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, absolutely, thank you! You still have to stop if you cross a river to enter the region, but once in the region, and you want to move into another region you don't have to stop just because the region you want to move into is on the other side of the river that cuts through the region itself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just re-read some of the rules and came here to admit my mistake about movement. Three areas per move action, split up as desire. Since you get three actions you can do this three times.

Sorry for missing that one.

After reading these answers I agree completely that a FaQ document is NEEDED for this game. I am baffled by some of these.

But the game is set up and ready for a run through.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.