$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Codenames» Forums » Rules

Subject: 'Cheating' with Unlimited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
played a game where I had 4 left to clue ... Whale, Capital, Fence, and School. The team 90% KNEW Fence and School were theirs, but they just did not have a chance to guess them. I couldn't think of a 2 for linking Capital and Whale ... but I did clue with an unlimited (used Olympia .. the Capital of Washington), and they managed to clean up everything but Whale.

I did not do this, but wondering what people would have thought if the clue was Cardiff Unlimited? Cardiff is the Capital of Wales. I would not allow a Cardiff 2 clue, as Wales and Whales are not related, but Unlimited only requires 1 to be associated, and it is a Capital.

Could other 'cheats' be allowed with unlimited, as long as one was valid?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose there's nothing to stop you. I don't see the game as a way of testing how well you circumvent rules though, and like all of these "rule" questions, it assumes that your team is on board with whatever the spymaster is trying to do. Even when I'm not the spymaster, I assume the spymaster is playing by the rules, so I would not make any connection between "Cardiff" and "whale", and would pick something else, if at all.

I suppose what I'm saying is that a lot depends on your team and whether or not they want to play the game as written or some other variant. A lot of teams do seem to enjoy twisting the rules, but unless I know that I assume they won't.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd say it's legal but against the spirit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you're asking about the rhyming Wales -> whales connection?

Since that kind of clue is normally forbidden, why would it be any less so with unlimited? All the other rules for giving clues still apply to unlimited clues...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I assume you're asking about the rhyming Wales -> whales connection?

Since that kind of clue is normally forbidden, why would it be any less so with unlimited? All the other rules for giving clues still apply to unlimited clues...


His clue isn't a rhyme, he's basically using the clue Cardiff for 'capital' and it just so happens to be the capital of wales which in turn would connect people to whales.

If his clue was wales that would be different, but because it is Cardiff it would be perfectly allowed. I'd def. allow it in m game with how clever it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takeshi
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue becomes when your clue is actually not related to all words.

For example, if your opponents have one word, and you can't think of a connection for your 3-4 unrelated words. You would just have to clue two (or one) of them, with "unlimited".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tekshi wrote:
His clue isn't a rhyme, he's basically using the clue Cardiff for 'capital' and it just so happens to be the capital of wales which in turn would connect people to whales.


Is that in fact a coincidence, or is he asking whether it would be okay to give that clue hoping for your operatives to make the Wales -> whales connection?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
grasa_total wrote:
tekshi wrote:
His clue isn't a rhyme, he's basically using the clue Cardiff for 'capital' and it just so happens to be the capital of wales which in turn would connect people to whales.


Is that in fact a coincidence, or is he asking whether it would be okay to give that clue hoping for your operatives to make the Wales -> whales connection?


That is the intention, but as far as the clue itself, Cardiff would be a legitimate clue. If anything it would be a ask the other spymaster the question.

(And there are whales in wales so they're not completely unrelated.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Cardiff : 1 is a legal clue, then Cardiff : Unlimited is as well.

Cardiff : 2 might be debatable, but I lean towards the fun, party aspect of the game and would gladly allow and encourage such a clue. It goes back to the #1 rule though, "Clear it with the opposing Spymaster."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
If Cardiff : 1 is a legal clue, then Cardiff : Unlimited is as well.

Cardiff : 2 might be debatable...

Might it? Ok, what's your argument in favor of it being legal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Ward wrote:
If Cardiff : 1 is a legal clue, then Cardiff : Unlimited is as well.

Cardiff : 2 might be debatable...

Might it? Ok, what's your argument in favor of it being legal?

Sorry to butt in, but Cardiff does have a harbour, and presumably whaling ships moored there at some point in history...

My point is, arguing whether or not a clue is "legal" is often self-defeating. The real question is whether or not your team is playing by the rules. If they are, they'd almost certainly never make the Cardiff-whale connection, and you've just confused them. If they aren't, they'd get it pretty quickly. It just depends on whether or not everyone at the table is playing the same game.

I think the game is best played as written, with everyone involved knowing that, but quite often I'm playing with people who haven't had a proper rule explanation, and they'll use any trick they can think of to clue words and, more importantly, to guess words. Both game environments are fine, but if I can play consistently with the same people I hope to progress towards the actual game over time.

Other kinds of rule question are much more easily answered. You cannot act/wink/use intonation/etc. In this case though, there is nothing on the board or in the rulebook preventing you from saying the words "Cardiff:unlimited" (or even "Cardiff:2"). That's a "legal" clue. If you are doing so hoping that your team will ignore the rules and make a connection between Wales-whale, however, then you better hope that no-one at the table cares about the rules.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Just FYI, the correct clue would have been "London"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeaCalMaster wrote:
Just FYI, the correct clue would have been "London"


London is the capital of Wales?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_of_Wales
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takeshi
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
SeaCalMaster wrote:
Just FYI, the correct clue would have been "London"


London is the capital of Wales?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_of_Wales


It is in Codenames, and Africa is a Country.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
3+4MoreFun
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't the intent of the thread, but would Atlantis 2 as a clue work? Suppose it depends on what else was left.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
intellismartness wrote:
I know this isn't the intent of the thread, but would Atlantis 2 as a clue work? Suppose it depends on what else was left.


Atlantis would work for clueing Whale and Capital I think .. I don't recall what else was out there ..

Played several games since then
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.