$30.00
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in Dark Reign of HAMMER Officers, where the lose condition is based on getting too many officers stacked next to the Mastermind, what if you run out of officers altogether? Does that mean that nothing happens on those last Scheme Twists after the stack has been emptied? Seems to me this might be a possible strategy for avoiding total defeat: recruit the hell out of the Officer stack. Especially in a game with many players.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Reign of H.A.M.M.E.R. Officers
Setup: 7 Twists.
Twist: Stack this Twist next to the Scheme. Then, for each Twist in that stack, put a S.H.I.E.L.D. Officer next to the Mastermind as a 3 Attack Villain with S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance. You can fight them to gain them as Heroes.
Evil Wins: When there are 7 Officers next to the Mastermind.

Your interpretation seems to work for me, actually. Thing is, those S.H.I.E.L.D. Officers really aren't that great of a card to have in your deck in the first place, so it might make getting the Mastermind that much trickier---but really not much.

It's perhaps thematic with the set, as if you get to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Officers first, then they can't be recruited by H.A.M.M.E.R. Their loyalties are already called for.

Part of me wonders if this scheme were added so that more folks would have to end up recruiting them for once, as (in my games at least) since Sidekicks they've been pretty much a "why bother" sort of card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your interpretation is correct too, the base rule-book says that if one of those stacks runs out you keep playing and just don't take a card if something tells you to take a card from there.

AS for that being a good strategy, it might help you eke it out to a draw, but it would be almost more difficult to win with that many SHIELD officers in your deck. It probably gets more viable as a strategy as the number of players increases. Winning solo with 30 SHIELD officers in your deck seems unlikely, but in a 5-player game each player only needs 6 officers to empty the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I think your interpretation is correct too, the base rule-book says that if one of those stacks runs out you keep playing and just don't take a card if something tells you to take a card from there.

AS for that being a good strategy, it might help you eke it out to a draw, but it would be almost more difficult to win with that many SHIELD officers in your deck. It probably gets more viable as a strategy as the number of players increases. Winning solo with 30 SHIELD officers in your deck seems unlikely, but in a 5-player game each player only needs 6 officers to empty the deck.

My SHIELD Officer / Silver Surfer / Thor deck begs to differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jemjar wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

My SHIELD Officer / Silver Surfer / Thor deck begs to differ.

Fair point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.