Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Mansion of Madness last night. It was incredible. I really loved it. There was so many dynamic aspects to the game. Drinking the whisky then smashing it into a broken bottle was incredible. The app saved a lot of time with tracking damage and conducting unique horror checks.

The only part that I was disappointed with was was the puzzles. We solved a code puzzle which was ok. But the other was a 'wiring puzzle' which was basically rush hour …what? How is that wiring?

So the main reason why I like the first edition puzzles are tactile feel of puzzles, decision making, and visual appeal.

Tactile feel - Those small solid pieces of cardboard makes me feel like I was interacting with the world moving the puzzle myself. This increases immersion.
Decision making - I enjoyed the decision making aspect small cardboard pieces that made up the puzzles, deciding between swapping tiles, rotating tiles, picking up a tile from the stack. Lastly before a puzzle is checked, every game I wouldn't know how hard the puzzle would be. We could be lucky and it would be completed easy or it could be so hard it takes 3 turns! Or it may not even be worth the time and should be abandoned.
Visual aspect - When you were opening a safe it was a combination lock. When you fixed wiring it was a wiring connection puzzle. It looks like what they are selling. Then when the puzzle was complete it LOOKS like it was complete, connecting wires from the start to the end or shows a picture. It feels satisfying and satisfies an itch to make something which starts messy ends up clean and complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I agree about liking the old puzzles better.

It would be nice if the app could tell you to do puzzle 3a or whatever and then you could just pull out the old puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
I agree about liking the old puzzles better.

It would be nice if the app could tell you to do puzzle 3a or whatever and then you could just pull out the old puzzle.

That'd be great! Also I'd like to have an optional internal timer with modifiable times (30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes). Which can show up on the APP in big bold countdown time. Different music can play when you are solving and when it gets close to the end music could get more tense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
never played the first edition, but the puzzles in 2e do absolutely nothing for me. They are simplistic things that can be solved by a really basic algorithm, and aren't really why I am playing a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I have to agree. I like the app based puzzles in theory because it's less busy work but they are a little bland.

Fairly easily solved with new scenarios and updates that include more detailed and better themed puzzles. If they do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they do a decent enough job. At least it doesn't involve loads of extra fiddly parts to play them. Also this game is all about exploring and combat in a more streamlined way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalAttack wrote:
I played my first game of Mansion of Madness last night. It was incredible. I really loved it. There was so many dynamic aspects to the game. Drinking the whisky then smashing it into a broken bottle was incredible. The app saved a lot of time with tracking damage and conducting unique horror checks.

The only part that I was disappointed with was was the puzzles. We solved a code puzzle which was ok. But the other was a 'wiring puzzle' which was basically rush hour …what? How is that wiring?

So the main reason why I like the first edition puzzles are tactile feel of puzzles, decision making, and visual appeal.

Tactile feel - Those small solid pieces of cardboard makes me feel like I was interacting with the world moving the puzzle myself. This increases immersion.
Decision making - I enjoyed the decision making aspect small cardboard pieces that made up the puzzles, deciding between swapping tiles, rotating tiles, picking up a tile from the stack. Lastly before a puzzle is checked, every game I wouldn't know how hard the puzzle would be. We could be lucky and it would be completed easy or it could be so hard it takes 3 turns! Or it may not even be worth the time and should be abandoned.
Visual aspect - When you were opening a safe it was a combination lock. When you fixed wiring it was a wiring connection puzzle. It looks like what they are selling. Then when the puzzle was complete it LOOKS like it was complete, connecting wires from the start to the end or shows a picture. It feels satisfying and satisfies an itch to make something which starts messy ends up clean and complete.

I can possibly understand your first and second points. But in regard to your third point, in 2nd Edition the puzzle graphics are unique based on the specific puzzle you are performing. For example...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...in Shattered Bonds, the sliding tile puzzle for reconstructing the diary entry containing info on the statue has some diary pages as its background image, but the sliding tile puzzle for rebuilding the statue itself has the same image from the Grotesque Statue card.

There are other changes in the aesthetics as well, such as the textures of the puzzles changing between wood or metal depending on what the item you're supposed to be manipulating is made of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree. I really hate the code puzzles too. Plus it's MUCH more fun to move the pieces yourself rather than do it on a screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure they could add the first edition puzzles to the app,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the 1st edition puzzles will make an appearance in the free scenarios this fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Sherwood
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cool thing is with the app they can add any types of puzzles they want and are not limited to the physical pieces from an old edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sorcere wrote:
The cool thing is with the app they can add any types of puzzles they want and are not limited to the physical pieces from an old edition.

The app gives them tremendous freedom to add to the core game elements as they see fit. I sure hope they do this over time and give us an even richer base game for existing scenarios and beyond.

The is true not only for Puzzles but for combat flavor text, different search results, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love the 1st edition puzzles added to the app lets me use more of my first edition game !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
Would love the 1st edition puzzles added to the app lets me use more of my first edition game !!

If the 1E puzzles were added to the app, what would you need the 1E puzzle pieces for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.