GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,258 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Grand Prix» Forums » Rules

Subject: Eliminated & Retired Cars and Other Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Please tell me this is wrong: Under 4.3, it says this about voluntarily retiring a car, "Award the retired car a Position Marker if applicable." There are only 10 position markers. So thus you get one of those position markers. (And 10.1.2, clearly states what a Position Marker is, it's essentially VP counter.) So if someone is in a race and they are way behind, they'll just retire the car, and collect one of the coveted 10 Vp Position Markers. Then the next person on their turn, will retire one of their cars, and get the #9 Position Marker, and so on and so on.

OR does the "...if applicable..." part mean, when they retire, and they are currently 17th place in the race, they would get 17th place, and since there is no 17th place Position Marker, they would not get a VP Position Marker?

2. Under 8.2. THE FLAGS, it states that all YELLOW and YELLOW/RED flags create a Safety Zone, yet when I look at the event cards only the event card TRACTION HAZARD mentions a Safety Zone. Do ALL Yellow cards create a safety zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To your first question, the "or": you only get a position marker if you were one of the top 10 cars upon retirement.

All yellows create a safety zone, as described in the rules. I think it's implied that it is set up around the affected car that has just been identified as having something happen to it. But Traction Hazard, the only yellow/red, is a bit different--nothing has happened to the lead car, there just happens to be a hazard on the track around its location. Somehow the card needs to specify the location, and I think the way it is is most direct. But I did notice too that none of the other cards mention the safety zone, and checked the rules to make sure other yellows set up a zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Binkly wrote:
To your first question, the "or": you only get a position marker if you were one of the top 10 cars upon retirement..

That still doesn't make sense. So, I could be in first place at any point in the race and just up and retire and then take the first place Position Marker worth 25VPs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"If applicable".

If you aren't in the top 10 when you retire the car, it isn't applicable to that car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Darth Binkly wrote:
To your first question, the "or": you only get a position marker if you were one of the top 10 cars upon retirement..

That still doesn't make sense. So, I could be in first place at any point in the race and just up and retire and then take the first place Position Marker worth 25VPs?

If you retire, it is considered that you are behind all other cars that have not yet retired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Beckman
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When applying the rules, it helps to think about what the game represents - an auto race. If a car in the lead pulls into the pits and retires, or pulls off the track and stops, every car still running passes it, moving it down in the order until it's only ahead of cars that retired before it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
JackBeckman wrote:
When applying the rules, it helps to think about what the game represents - an auto race. If a car in the lead pulls into the pits and retires, or pulls off the track and stops, every car still running passes it, moving it down in the order until it's only ahead of cars that retired before it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But the way it was worded had me worried. Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
patton55 wrote:
Darth Binkly wrote:

If you retire, it is considered that you are behind all other cars that have not yet retired.

JackBeckman wrote:

Both of these.

I'm still working through the rules, but the OP rules quote seems pretty clear to me. Especially applying the logic Jack suggests. Regardless of their running order, the first car to retire will be scored last place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Walla
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Formula 1 rules for points are quite a bit different than Nascar where it is not necessary to finish the race to receive points. In Formula 1 a driver/car must complete at least 90% of the winners laps or distance traveled to be eligible to receive points. So for instance in a real race of 50 laps in order for a car to receive points they must complete 45 laps. Since we only race 3 or 4 laps on most tracks it is really not possible to score points if retired or at least it would be very hard to determine even if they retired on the last lap in the middle of the action phase. So our take on it is to not award points to retired cars regardless of when they are retired and even if there are 10 or less cars on the track when they retired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.