Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite an interesting video, what do you think of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert
msg tools
It is only fair when I end up winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirror mirror, on the wall, which die is the fairest of them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you could make a fair 5-sided die if you make it like a 5-sided Toblerone with rounded ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
Seems like you could make a fair 5-sided die if you make it like a 5-sided Toblerone with rounded ends.

Yet as he says in the 2nd video, they proved that it is not possible, because the correct thickness to make that kind of die fair depends on what sort of surface you roll the die onto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Quite an interesting video, what do you think of it?

Fun stuff. Persi Diaconis has appeared on previous episodes of that series too, e.g. about shuffling cards.

(He also gets mentioned occasionally in BGG threads about randomization.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
One member of my old gaming group had a loaded D6 but he was never allowed to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
samlamiam wrote:

Yet as he says in the 2nd video, they proved that it is not possible, because the correct thickness to make that kind of die fair depends on what sort of surface you roll the die onto.

Wasn't that bit about a 'normal' triangular Toblerone with a length that would make it so that it has a 1/5 chance of landing on either end? Samlamiam's idea seems to suggest having it five-sided instead of triangular and making sure it actually never lands on an end by rounding the ends. I guess that wouldn't be fair in the sense of his theorem, but could quite possibly work in a real world application.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They missed another fair die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
russ wrote:
samlamiam wrote:

Wasn't that bit about a 'normal' triangular Toblerone with a length that would make it so that it has a 1/5 chance of landing on either end? Samlamiam's idea seems to suggest having it five-sided instead of triangular and making sure it actually never lands on an end by rounding the ends. I guess that wouldn't be fair in the sense of his theorem, but could quite possibly work in a real world application.

Aha, I see what you mean. Yes, that would seem "fair" in a practical real-world sense, even though it has very few symmetries in the sense they were calculating (and I suppose that they were implicitly considering only polyhedral dice, not generalized dice with rounded areas which could not be landed upon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dice have been fair. However, I can't always say I like them or agree with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:

I can't watch the video, but it seems like someone could start with a D10 and have each number represented twice like the Double D6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ookami86 wrote:
samlamiam wrote:

I can't watch the video, but it seems like someone could start with a D10 and have each number represented twice like the Double D6.

That would be a 10-sided die which returns numeric values from 1-5. The video is talking about the number of physical sides, not about the possible range of numeric values printed on the sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
"Is your die fair?"
Yes, he's very attractive.

(I dunno maybe I'm missing something but wow)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/08/how-fair-is-yo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My die is fair to everyone else. Not so fair to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
"Is your die fair?"
Yes, she's very pretty

Doesn't look like she'll roll well, and well end up cocked half the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither of the people in dice costumes were fair dice. They were brunettes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I play Aquädukt, so no, my die is not fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
During Attack rolls, no. Not very often. Even managed to JAM a Dreadnoughts Assault Cannon on a cpl occasions. In the VERY 1st round of use.

During Save rolls. More often then may be allowed. Ppl tends to come up with things like OMFG, How the F&%" did you managed that?! and Holey moley DAMN you´re lucky and You must have GOLDEN locks in a certain spot and other certain & etc. different phrases.

Sooo.... Fair dice??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually if you roll a die a sufficient number of times to statistically determine that its not fair you've likely warn it down enough so that it's no longer fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Null Field wrote:
"Is your die fair?"
Yes, she's very pretty

Doesn't look like she'll roll well, and well end up cocked half the time!

Must...resist...obvious...pun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool videos.

I've always also enjoyed Colonel Zocchi's insight on the subject of dice manufacturing and the fairness of dice. Zocchi has also designed several "uncommon" dice, including 5, 7 and 14-sided dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.