Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh happy day!

I get home and find a Target box by my front door. Wait...what did I order? Um...Oh yeah...the Target Exclusives...that Ticket to Ride Game for the kids...and something else. I can't remember.

I open the box with a knife. Ticket to Ride: First Journey (U.S.), and... Oh yeah! Evolution: The Beginning and Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City. Sweet. Downstairs to the game den we go...

...uh oh. Machi Koro BL,BC is damaged. And not just a little bit. One of the corners is outright mangled! Outrage! But...I'll probably just shove the cards in the box of Machi Koro and throw this box away anyway, so no big deal.

So I go to get Machi Koro. I search the 4 player shelves for the distinctive blue box. It's not there. Of course it's there. Look again. It's really not there...but it has to be. I look again.

It's. Not. There.

Ha! Not to worry...some idiot (probably me) must have put it on the wrong shelf. Hey, maybe I put it on the 5-player shelf because of expansions! I look there...and it's not there. Slow down, Pete. Ticket to Ride...Archipelago...Utopia...Ra...Terra Mystica...Rococo...Heroquest...hey, my daughter's probably old enough for Heroquest now, maybe I should, HEY, FOCUS!

Right. Legendary...Taj Mahal...you know, none of these boxes are even the right color blue. It's not here.

Six player shelves? No. 2-player shelves. No. Seven+ shelves? Why would it be there? Just look will you? OK. Surprise, not there...told you so. Shut up. We really need to see someone about this inner monologue of ours...

Check the party shelves. OK I know it's not there...nobody's been in there since Christmas. Just check. OK. Not there, but we should put this Top Ten: The Bill of Rights on the sell pile...it's awful.

OK, where else? The kids' shelves? How the hell would the game get all the way upstairs? It wouldn't, but you never know...up the stairs we go...and, well that was a waste of time.

WHERE THE HELL IS MACHI KORO??!?

Relax, it's not like it's your favorite game or anything. That's not the point though...a GAME is MISSING! And if that game is missing ANY game might be missing! This is unforgivable chaos! Everything is not as it should be, and there is no explanation!

It's gotta be on the 4 player shelves. Look again...

It's not there, I tell you. Look. Do you see a hint of blue anywhere? I see Saint Petersburg and Seeland and Atlantis and Scandaroon is kind of a purple blue...why do I still have Scandaroon?

Someone must have stolen it!!! Nobody would steal Machi Koro! Well that one guy in the game store was caught stealing it on video. Fine, but nobody would steal Machi Koro from you. Even if your friends turned to crime, are they going to leave behind Dune and Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit and steal Machi Koro? What's wrong with you?

A GAME is MISSING, that's what's WRONG! It's gone. GONE!!! It's supposed to be right there, and it's GONE! LOOK!!!!

Oh wait...there it is, on the 4-player shelves exactly where it belongs. Look at that, one side of the box is gray. Who knew...

Pete (shares tonight's 10 minutes of crazed panic with you all)

• [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing that a fifth of bourbon won't cure.

(Pete + Closet + Rulebook + Bourbon + 90 mins) = All good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find my Ticket to Ride, with the 1910 expansion inside...

I either left it in a hotel room in Portland, or sold it to someone in an auction accidentally, (I thrift, have several copies around).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the disaster liking machi koro?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just made me realize that I loaned out my copy of Machi Koro to . . . someone at work . . . but I can't remember who. Uh-oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a horror movie. You should sell the rights to Walt Disney Pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
If only I had the space or energy for something like this to happen to me. My games are all shoved helter-skelter, higgledy-piggledy, willy-nilly or whatever other rhyming adjectives denoting disorder you favor into whatever closet, cupboard or underbed can hold them. Seriously, my entire game collection is basically this. With similar results when I try to pull one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing once. I was looking for my favorite game - Caylus and it was not on the shelf where it was supposed to be. I'm instantly mad at my kids for getting out something so precious to me and not putting it back.

I remembered that my oldest daughter was mad at me and I got it in my head that she must have hidden Caylus from me just out of spite. So I literally searched the ENTIRE house for that game. I looked in every conceivable location a box of that size would fit. I was furious.angryangry

Finally I told my wife why I was so upset and she points up to my game shelf and Caylus is sitting there where it is supposed to be. I just was expecting the wrong color and could not see it.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can not lose Machi Koro because I don't own Machi Koro but maybe I should buy Machi Koro so I can lose Machi Koro!

James (Pete may be on to something here!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sredni Vashtar wrote:
This just made me realize that I loaned out my copy of Machi Koro to . . . someone at work . . . but I can't remember who. Uh-oh.

I have a list for that, so that I do not forget who got what. It is right here in the notes app of my phone ... wait, no ... ah, it is a google document right there ... apparently not ... a Numbers spreadsheet on my Mac ... Excel on my computer at work? (*panic*)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
This is a picture of General Cassius Marcellus Clay, radical abolitionist, politician, lawyer, farmer, and Bowie knife fighter. Look him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
We really do not "own" anything, do we? It only owns us... and Machi Koro owned you for 10 minutes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And breathe!

I hate when that happens, it's usually happens when my wife tidy's up after me!
"But I know in exactly which pile of toot, so and so is in! Where is it now??" Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
Ashgrove wrote:
We really do not "own" anything, do we? It only owns us... and Machi Koro owned you for 10 minutes...

I tend to lurk more than comment, but that was too true.

I'm going to steal that line from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, the joys of having but a single bookshelf of games...

(hey, there has to be some benefit right? right??)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Someone must have stolen it!!! Nobody would steal Machi Koro! Well that one guy in the game store was caught stealing it on video.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed that you not only have all the different sections for games, but that they are in the right places. I have tried to organize my shelves multiple times and it only lasts a month or two until games are every where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Suddenly feel the urge to sneak into Pete's house all Ninja'd out and find 20 games to put in the wrong spots. I'm a bad mans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How big is your 1 player shelf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
How big is your 1 player shelf?
Extensive. But it's completely populated with computer games.

Pete (hasn't tried playing a board game alone)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to go to Pete's house and ask "Can we play your copy of (game Pete doesn't own)? Last time we played I beat you and you said you wanted a rematch."

78 minutes later I upload the entire meltdown on youtube, getting a kabillion likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Horror? What horror?

Didn't all the forum slamfaced to me that games are very cheap things easy to get a full collection, anyone can have as many as they want? Huh? Pffft, you can feel whole shelves with enough games to play each one one time until you become old and fragile and forget how to hold cards and read rules and too weak to throw dice. yuk

On an additional note, light shining on boxes changes its colour. It is your choice to store every box with one side facing forward all time, or rotate them, so that box gets a 'uniform tan'. Don't believe me? Check out any old boxes which had sunlight fall on them for a lone time (because you forgot to play it for so long), and compare to other sides. Reds and yellows pale out the fastest. surprise

There are also mold and bookworms, hehe, let me scare you more... And some plastics actually decay, but slowly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sredni Vashtar wrote:

I do this all the time, but with movies and books.

Someday I'm going to have to start writing things down like my wife tells me. I don't want to set a precedent though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

If Pete saw the state of my collection his head would explode. I still have a few items I [i]know[/e] are is a box....somewhere...in the garage. It was ok until I decided I wanted to dig them out & play again. They will turn up eventually (hell, the Talisman 2nd edition & most of the ASL modules turned up recently).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Harrison
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Oh happy day!

I get home and find a Target box by my front door. Wait...what did I order? Um...Oh yeah...the Target Exclusives...that Ticket to Ride Game for the kids...and something else. I can't remember.

Don't drink and online shop people. This has been a public service announcement from your friends at BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.