Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for my first AAR of Battlelore. I must admit I am very very late to Battlelore, I am a veteran of most of the other C&C titles like Memoir 44, Ancients, Napoleonics and the Great war. I overlooked Battlelore all those years ago as I had just assumed it was a fantasy version of the system and didn’t look into the game much at all (The cover just gave me that impression). Though I actually read a bit about the game recently and discovered it was possible to play historical scenarios, so I thought im in. Only problem …out of print but I have been able to track down a copy of the game and some of the expansions.

So I thought I would do a report on the Agincourt battle that features first up in the base game adventures. I have already played this a number of times and found the French just kept thrashing the English. The main reason for this I believe is due to 2 major historical factors being ignored, the English long bow and the muddy ground (I understand this was a training scenario so things were kept simple).

So for this play through Im going to alter a few things and see how things turn out:

- English get the Longbow weapon card for all their arches
- Infantry units may not gain ground
- Cavalry may not make a pursuit and bonus attack
- I will use the Medieval lore rules

I will play the battle back rules as per the base game rules as this seems to still fit in, as a well-supported unit would still be a foe to be reckoned with even in the conditions.

AGINCOURT, October 25, 1415

English have a command of 6 and move first.

French have a command of 4.

Victory occurs for the first side to capture 4 banners.

Turn 1 (English)
The English play surround and move some regular infantry into the front rank, then a fusillade of arrows are released from the long bows on both flanks. The French heavy cavalry on the right are unaffected but the ones on the left suffer heavy losses.
Take 2 lore

Turn 1 (French)
The French seeing they are outclasses in missiles play advance in the centre, advancing three regular infantry and one regular cavalry.
draw 1 card (Field command) and take 1 lore

Turn 2 (English)
Now that the French have advanced the English see a good opportunity to get all the their arches into action across the battlefield and play forward. A rain of arrows fall all over the French lines, the heavy cavalry on the left are wiped out while a regular infantry unit on the far left of the centre suffer heavy losses and fall back.
Draw 1 card (take aim) and take 1 lore.

Turn 2 (French)
The French now play a patrol centre and head towards the gap between the centre and left with a regular cavalry and infantry. The cavalry attack the arches causing some casualties and force them back but due to the sodden ground are unable to pursue.
Draw 1 card (Agility) and take 1 lore.

Turn 3 (English)
The English now react to the French in the centre and also play a patrol centre moving a regular infantry unit up to engage and using the low bows of an archer unit. The arches use the take aim card to add 3 dice and cause all sorts of trouble for the regular cavalry. The regular infantry however are unable to finish them off.
Draw 2 lore.

Turn 3 (French)
The French continue their push in the centre with another patrol. The cavalry and infantry stay engaged with the English infantry and cause mass casualties amongst the Englishmen who are forced to retreat.
Take 2 lore.

Turn 4 (English)
The English now starting to tire in the centre order and attack with their right moving a regular infantry unit up and getting an archer unit into a better firing position. The French cavalry are finished off by the regular infantry and some French infantry are forced to fall back by some arches.
Draw 1 card (Agility) and take 1 lore.

Turn 4 (French)
With their push in the centre being pushed back the French now order an advance on their right, moving their heavy cavalry and two regular infantry up.
Take 2 lore.

Turn 5 (English)
Now getting some space between the lines the English let off another shower of arrows with a forward order. This time they cause some loss amoungst the heavy cavalry and force them back while a regular infantry unit in the centre is wiped out due to being the target of multiple units of arches.
Draw 1 card (stealth) take 1 lore.

Turn 5 (French)
The French order red banners and the heavy cavalry charge into action on the flank of the English causing huge losses on the arches stationed there.
Draw 1 card (backstab) discard field command and take 1 lore.

Turn 6 (English)
The English now try and eliminate the cavalry threat on their left and play a patrol left moving up a regular infantry unit and order an archer. All they are able to do is push the cavalrymen back a little.
Draw 1 card (strength) and discard stealth and take 1 lore.

Turn 6 (French)
The heavy cavalry are called back into action with a mounted charge right at the weakened arches. The English use their agility card but it is of no use as the arches are all run down.
Take 2 lore.

Turn 7 (English)
The English now find themselves a little desparate on their left and use an attack left to order their one remaining regular infantry there to try and finish off the cavalry before the rest of the French foot can arrive. They play a strength card to add one die to their attack. The French also have a trick up their sleave and play backstab so and sword on shield rolls will cause hits on the attacking unit. In the confused melee the cavalry are pushed back but the English infantry suffer light losses.
Draw 1 card (stolen orders) and take 1 lore.

Turn 7 (French)
The French now order a foot onslaught with 2 of their regular infantry moving up engage the English centre and left. The French are able to finish off some English infantry in the centre and push back some more on the flank while causing devastating losses.
Take 2 lore.

Turn 8 (English)
Things aren’t look as good for the English as they were. They really want to try and end things now. They order an advance in the centre, trying to focus everything on the most forward French infantry. They push the French infantry back and cause mass casualties though the French play of agility saved them from losing the game just then.
Draw 1 card (Berserk) and take 1 lore.

Turn 8 (French)
The French play a patrol in the centre and go for the English long bow men with one of the regular infantry and move up their arches to take a long shot. They cause some losses and push the arches back some distance.
Take 2 lore.

Turn 9 (English)
The English now think they have the answer and order a foot onslaught right into the centre of the French with the heavy infantry leading the way with a regular in support. The regulars hit the French at the rear first and cause some casualties and push them back. The heavies though crash into the weakened French infantry and slaughter all to give the English the win.

English victory 4 - 2

Wow what a game I don’t think I have seen a 4 medal victory scenario in any of the C&C games go for 9 turns. I must admit It looked like the English would easily take the game around midway but things started to turn and nothing went right for them.

Adding the long bow card defiantly made the English arches much more fearsome and gave the French a sense of desperation to close with them.
Taking the Pursuit rule out frustrated the French cavalry and after their initial assault into the centre I thought they were now a spent force, though the fog of war descended to make things not so easy for the English.

Though the English won by 2 banners there were a couple of weak English units stitting there if the French got another turn.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Osterloh
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report and description of the turns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

Another illustration of the flexibility built into the Commands & Colors system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jul A
France
flag msg tools
It was a pleasure to read your report. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries thanks guys, iv found the C&C systems to be very AAR friendly with short sharp action taking place during each turn.

Thanks for the tip Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report of one of my favourite games.
BTW. the Epic Agincourt scenario using two boards included in the Epic Battlelore expansion plays much more historically out of the box (lost my first game something like 1-7 with the French).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool yea I got the 100 years war expansion and saw that scenario but looks like a 2nd base game is needed to play that to make up all the units?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re double-map scenarios and the need for more figures, the figs can be supplemented with sets of 20mm plastic soldiers (see the "Plastic Soldier Review" web site for lots of information on figures and manufacturers for the period). Alternately, colored cubes from other games can be used to represent one or two figures/Unit so that more Units can be deployed.

Re historical medieval scenarios, I've enjoyed this the most out of the "Battlelore" experience, personally. I was recently very pleasantly surprised by a bit of news I'll share here.

When I received Plastic Soldier Company's "Victory or Death" KS-funded game on the Peloponnesian War (based on the "Quartermaster General" system), I found the box contained a PSC color catalog.

Featured, of course, was Richard Borg's "Great War" game and its Tank Expansion." Also shown was Richard's upcoming new edition of "Battle of Britain" (another KS, a fresh version of the old TSR boardgame of the same title).

Announced was "Quartermaster General 1914." I'd heard that a WW I version was in process. On the next page the featured game was the new deluxe "mounted map, spiffy figures, mucho scenarios" edition of Worthington's "Hold the Line" and its French & Indian War/SYWNA expansion.

Then my eyes turned to the right-hand page and got very large and round. WOW. A fine piece of High Medieval battle-art, archers drawing on mounted knights, under the title "ARROWSTORM."

The text: "This the Hundred Years War! Arrowstorm is a lightweight medieval wargame by the well-known tabletop game designer, Dan Mersey, allowing two players to recreate and re-fight battles form the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries . . . . Hi quality 1/72nd semi hard, robust plastic miniatures are provided to field enough units for English, French, and Scottish armies . . . . everything you need to discover, set up, and recreate some of medieval Europe's most famous battles."

Full page in the catalog. No date.But, encouragingly, it's in the "catalog" section, NOT on the catalog back page headed "Future Releases."

Given that "Great War," its "Tank" expansion, Battle of Britain, Hold the Line, and Victory or Death were all Kickstarter campaigns (and all solid successes), my guess is that "Arrowstorm" will be an upcoming KS project by PSC, but that's ONLY a guess.

I thought at first that "Arrowstorm" might be the new, historical version of "original Battlelore," but with Dan Mersey's name cited, it appears not. Also described is a new feature referred to as "the innovative Tactics Chart" which provides for "out-thinking (your opponent) tactically" in "historical scenarios (with historical) troop types."

That's all I have on this game, but for folks who might be struggling to track down "original Battlelore" sets for historical battles, "Arrowstorm" promises to provide an alternative. I thought it might be helpful to some of you if you're aware of this upcoming game.

I'm watching my emails like a hawk for announcement of the KS campaign or other additional information.

Oh . . . and in case you might wonder what was on the back cover of that PSC catalog:

The Great War (French Expansion)

Zulu ("a re-mastered and upgraded version with plastic miniatures of the classic Worthington Rorke's Drift/Isandhlwana game")

Lincoln ("an exciting and innovative American Civil War grand strategy game from the renowned games designer, Martin Wallac")

For King and Country ("a remastering and upgrading of the old Martin Wallace classic,Struggle of Empires")

Battle Ravens ("a fun, fast-paced abstract Dark Ages Shieldwall game by Dan Mersey")

The Great War: Russian Expansion ("The Great War: Warhorse 1914 Expansion")

Oh, my. My, oh my. More "wows" from a little in-the-box catalog than I've uttered in many a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With everything I have I think Im able to put certain units in to make up the numbers, such as using the mounted knights to have more heavy cav from CoC and just treating them as the heavy cav and so on. The only one im not so sure on is having enough British green banners for the arches, can anyone think of a way of making up the 4 extra banners needed.

Im really enjoying The great war so looks good to see the next 2 expansion are being talked about and promoted now.

Arrow storm looks interesting and will need to check that one out a bit closer. Plus im keen on supporting PSC as I have had excellent customer service from them every time I have dealt with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:

I thought at first that "Arrowstorm" might be the new, historical version of "original Battlelore," but with Dan Mersey's name cited, it appears not. Also described is a new feature referred to as "the innovative Tactics Chart" which provides for "out-thinking (your opponent) tactically" in "historical scenarios (with historical) troop types."

That's all I have on this game, but for folks who might be struggling to track down "original Battlelore" sets for historical battles, "Arrowstorm" promises to provide an alternative. I thought it might be helpful to some of you if you're aware of this upcoming game.

I just learnt some interesting info on C&C Medieval
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-604-commands-colors-medieval.aspx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.