9 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: When do optional hazards need to be declared? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Damon
msg tools
mbmbmb
In a game I'm playing, Russia wanted to, when moving from Earth Orbit to Earth, first test re-entry then, based on the outcome of that test, choose if he wanted to test landing (he only had $10 left to pay off outcomes, so didn't want to pull a landing outcome if he spent all his money removing a success from re-entry).

His thematic argument was that the spacecraft could be aimed near a coastline, and steered one way or another after entering the atmosphere. My reasoning was that since the other optional symbol on maneuvers, time, must be declared before the maneuver is performed, he should have to declare if he was going to test landing before beginning the maneuver.

We resolved by die-roll (he won), but is this addressed in the rules anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected, thus deleted my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 24: "When you perform a maneuver, face each hazard in the order they are written."

Time Symbols are not hazards.

When the landing hazard is faced:

Page 25: "Draw an outcome from your Landing advancement to see what happens when you perform a maneuver with a landing hazard. If you do not have Landing, the space-craft is destroyed."

Page 26: "Some landing maneuvers travel through a dense enough atmosphere that one may land safely without any advancement required (as all spacecraft are assumed to have parachutes). These are marked with . If you would rather test Landing instead of landing safely you may do so."

So the choice is made as part of facing the hazard. There is nothing in the rules indicating that an earlier decision is needed.

Side note: What does a coastline have to do with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Damon
msg tools
mbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
Side note: What does a coastline have to do with it?

His assumption that not testing landing would involve crash-landing into a body of water, whereas testing landing would be landing on land. Although now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense, since I believe spacecraft generally land in the water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to about 2:40...That's basically how the Soviets always did it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Make the decision when that specific hazard is faced.

So if you're dropping down from Venus Orbit to Venus:
1) first you face reentry,
2) then you either face landing or not
3) and then you face the Venus hazard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Damon
msg tools
mbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Make the decision when that specific hazard is faced.

So if you're dropping down from Venus Orbit to Venus:
1) first you face reentry,
2) then you either face landing or not
3) and then you face the Venus hazard.

Thanks for the quick response, Joe.

rmanning wrote:
That's basically how the Soviets always did it.

Thanks for the video, that was really interesting. Clearly, I need to read up on space travel. I wish my high-school had history classes that covered things like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
That's basically how the Soviets always did it.

Except when they shot their pilot out of the capsule before dropping both by parachute, if I got that right from memory. :-)

That was always amazing to me: After launching to space, spending time in orbit and going through reentry, all in a cramped capsule, you are shot out of it and have to parachute your way down. Tough guys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rmanning wrote:
Go to about 2:40...[ video ]That's basically how the Soviets always did it.

Whew! If they somehow landed short, they would've ended-up in Iran! I guess that's why NASA used to do water landings out in the middle of the Pacific!

Also, somehow recuperating in the middle of a grass field with a beach chair doesn't have the same sort of gravitas as onboard an aircraft carrier, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.