Subject: 2 more games into SeaFall (4 games + prologue) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Arnold
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game is still a ton of fun. Again, I don't understand the disappointment.

The legacy ideas are so beyond what is in Risk Legacy or Pandemic. And I don't really buy the idea that its an incomplete game that becomes complete. To me, it feels perfectly thematic. You are exploring more of the ocean, finding new lands, evolving as empires. So you have more capabilities and mechanics.

I don't want to go to far into it as to not spoil, but even the little storytelling and legacy elements of sailing farther out into the ocean is a ton of fun.

Honestly, only real complaint so far is just the rule book can be a touch confusing especially when you add new elements. As you aren't quite sure if you just don't understand it / its an error / or if it hasn't been revealed yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tgcleric wrote:
Game is still a ton of fun. Again, I don't understand the disappointment.

Good to hear - I've read quite a few negative comments since I put my pre-order in a few days ago - so it's nice to hear of people enjoying the game!

How many players are involved Matthew? My initial thought was that I'd like to go with the full 5, but I'm rethinking that now and will probably just go with 3, making arranging numerous plays that much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Arnold
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have 3 players which is proving a nice balance. I think 4 would be okay. The turns get longer at about game 4.

I think 5 is probably too many players unless you really don't mind downtime. But there isn't THAT much to be thinking about during downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great to hear positive enjoyment and feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When all the negativity started I was half way thinking about cancelling my pre-order but I have held out so far. I am planning on playing 3p so I think that will help with downtime. I have really wanted to try a legacy game and the theme of this one appeals most to me. I also really like hybrid euro/amerithrash style games which this sounds like it is. Anyway cant wait to get my copy and see for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this Matthew. I have been looking forward to Seafall for a long time, and what you're describing matches my own as a playtester. I'd hate to see Seafall tanked because of reviews that don't do it justice or have the right framework to grasp it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
We have played the prologue plus 6 games so far. We have been playing anywhere from 3-5 players (4 games with 5 players and 1 game each with 3 and 4 players). There definitely has been more downtime and a longer game at the 5 player end, while 3 players was definitely much faster, but less interaction at 3 players then with 5. So far everyone seems to be enjoying the game for the most part. I personally love it, my wife's opinion got definately more favorable after playing it. Hoping to get in game 7 (or even 8) tonight/tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
We have played the prologue plus 6 games so far. We have been playing anywhere from 3-5 players (4 games with 5 players and 1 game each with 3 and 4 players). There definitely has been more downtime and a longer game at the 5 player end, while 3 players was definitely much faster, but less interaction at 3 players then with 5. So far everyone seems to be enjoying the game for the most part. I personally love it, my wife's opinion got definately more favorable after playing it. Hoping to get in game 7 (or even 8) tonight/tomorrow.

Since you've played all three, which player count do you feel worked best (in terms of overall balance of resource availability, player interaction, etc -- not just game length/downtime)?

When your player count has varied, was it because players dropped out of the campaign (and were possibly replaced), or because of scheduling conflicts? Assuming players were absent and returned, have they felt as though their faction was unduly penalized, or have they felt the keep up mechanism to be reasonable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Becq wrote:
tjstack wrote:
We have played the prologue plus 6 games so far. We have been playing anywhere from 3-5 players (4 games with 5 players and 1 game each with 3 and 4 players). There definitely has been more downtime and a longer game at the 5 player end, while 3 players was definitely much faster, but less interaction at 3 players then with 5. So far everyone seems to be enjoying the game for the most part. I personally love it, my wife's opinion got definitely more favorable after playing it. Hoping to get in game 7 (or even 8) tonight/tomorrow.

Since you've played all three, which player count do you feel worked best (in terms of overall balance of resource availability, player interaction, etc -- not just game length/downtime)?

game length/downtime 3 is the best, but overall balance/interaction, I'd say 4. 5 is better I think for balance/interaction if you have regular veteran gamers that don't get stuck on analysis paralysis every turn, otherwise 4 I think is the magic number. Also, anytime you open a chest that is applied midgame, that also will bog it down.

Becq wrote:

When your player count has varied, was it because players dropped out of the campaign (and were possibly replaced), or because of scheduling conflicts? Assuming players were absent and returned, have they felt as though their faction was unduly penalized, or have they felt the keep up mechanism to be reasonable?

Schedules mostly. We used the missing player rules for when they were unavailable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.