Subject: Reprint comparison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Unai Martinez
Spain
Heppenheim
flag msg tools
Good morning,

yesterday I got the 3 re-printed expansions (actually the Krang one is from 2015 apparently) and I was wondering if they fixed the problems or I was going to find that they still had the problems... Short answer: They are marvelous!

Below you can find a visual comparison for the cards and the tokens ordered as follow

[Core Set - Lost Legion - Shades of Tezla - Krang]

As you can see, there is no difference in the cards' size or color, they are the same. The tokens have exactly the same size.

A closer look to the back side of the cards.

As you can see from the next picture, all of them have exactly the same size

Front side of them.

For me they look great. The material I would say is the same, anyway I always sleeve the cards so even if they are not exactly the same I won't notice it.

Now let's talk about the tokens, this was the main disappointment with Shades of Tezla. You could always sleeve the cards but for the tokens it was really a problem; well this has been definitively fixed.

[CS - LL - SoT]

As said the size is exactly the same. The only difference I have seen is that the LL token has an slightly lighter color. I have only compared the green tokens and the 2 I have tried had the same issue, I don't know yet if same applies for the other tokens. This is really not a problem, the colors are pretty much the same.

The front side of the token looks the same.

This other image shows better the sizes of the tokens.

One complain for ToS was that the manual was in the botton of the box and when taking it off was really a mess, well this has changed now:

Nevertheless all that glitters is not gold, there is a big difference between the dice from the CS and LL, the later is much darker. Anyway this is not a problem for me since I never use al the dice from the core.

-----

So as you can see they have finally fixed the inconsistencies and there is now a consistency between all the components among the expansions. As said, I got a Krang copy from 2015 (that expansion was not out of stock in my local store, so I did not get the re-printed one), but as far I can see there was no problem with it.

I hope this clarifies a bit the re-print open questions and I can just say [b]hurry and get your reprinted copy before they go out of stock again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting Unai, i'm sure this will put people's minds at ease a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Thanks for posting it mate :-)

Can you share the product code on all the expansions? Also it might be just my eyes, but SoT token still looks a bit smaller then the rest?

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong. It looks like the Core Game has slightly bigger cards/tokens. The expansions looks the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unai Martinez
Spain
Heppenheim
flag msg tools
Hi Maokai,

probably is a lens effect. I took the images with the mobile so it seems the left side is bigger than the right side of the image.

I will upload new images in the afternoon showing that both the cards and tokens have same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
That's fine mate, I trust you. I already ordered my Tezla after seeing your post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unai Martinez
Spain
Heppenheim
flag msg tools
I have uploaded some new pics comparing the cards, tokens and dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KEith Brown
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I just purchased the core game from amazon a few days ago. How can I tell what printing I got?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
There should be a product code printed underneath the barcode, eg mine is 739W012116.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unai Martinez
Spain
Heppenheim
flag msg tools
Exactly, the last 2 digits is the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
I received "Shades of Tezla" today. I can confirm they indeed fixed the token size and the cards are "flat" (compared to the core set where most of the cards came curved in a way).

I did noticed couple of small things:

1. Tokens hue is different compared to the Core set (I don't have Lost Legions)
2. Cards backs has different saturation compared to the Core set.
3. Font is smaller on the Shade of Tezla cards compared to the Core set.
4. Rule box still mentions there suppose to be a Site Description Card(even though that was officially approved as a typo).

Nothing really major though. I can identify the colors/fonts/saturation difference, but only if I look closely. This is nothing major.

For reference, I'm using the 2016 Mage Knight core print (739W012116). I might be wrong, but I think this is the latest print. There was another printing labels '739W050216', but I *think* this printing is only for the 3 expansions and not for the core set (unless someone ordered recently and has a core set with the 739W050216 number on it).

All around, I'm pretty happy consider
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the base game and I bought it in 2012 (innthe summer). So it is probably the first print run I guess?

Is it no use at all for me to buy expansions? Will they just mismatch and make me disappointed?

I was thinking of buying Lost legion, I will probably order it online. Is it a total disaster if I don't get the latest print run?

Worst case scenario: I have the first print base game and buy the first print LL, how bad is that? unplayable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
I have not-first print base game with I-don't-know-what print Lost Legion. I sleeve cards clear and haven't looked at the backs too closely, but they vary a bit in saturation. I haven't looked too closely so I don't know what backs are from which set and I mostly ignore the backs during play.

Map tiles for LL are significantly lighter than the base game. I just sort of ignore them during play. If this bothers you there are a few ways around it:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23741486#23741486

All things considered it's not ideal but I wouldn't dub my copies unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well they don't vary "a bit" it's pretty bad and you can tell immediately if a LL card is coming up in whatever deck. Especially the unit cards are terrible and look like a different color all together.

Is in unplayable? No because either way it doesn't effect the gameplay all that much. Is it just terrible quality on the part of Wizzkids? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know how to tell if a Shades of Tezla box contains the updated components? I've been holding off buying it until they addressed the issues in the retail version (didn't want to mess with WizKids CS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This January I bought all four products in the Mage Knight line, and all four were of the 2016 printing (050216 product code).

This is what I found:
--The size of the components is consistent across the four products.

--Cardboard: color-wise, there is a slightly different hue on the backs of the Enemy tokens and on the backs of the map tiles: my solution--just don't look at them that closely. Most of the time, you would need to see samples set side-by-side to tell the difference between the sets. (The difference in the backs of the map tiles is more apparent, but if it's an issue for you, you can simply re-stack your tiles and draw from the bottom of the stack instead of from the top. Or you can blindly reshuffle immediately before drawing each new Tile.)

--Cards:
--There is a noticeable difference in the shade of the card backs of the Unit decks. But again, I don't really see as if that gives you any information of great value. And if it does, simply draw from the bottom of the decks.
--I have not noticed any difference in shade on the backs of the Deed decks, which is wonderful. (But I intentionally haven't looked at them over closely, not wanting to know if there is a slight difference or not.)

--Dice:
--The darkness of the green and black and blue faces make them seem very similar in color. This was easy to fix though: I just repainted the green and blue faces to a brighter shade. It's child's play to do: you just smear the paint into the crevices, then wipe it off the raised face of the dice. Only took a couple of minutes to do.

--Crystals: these are opaque and lusterless. They work, but they're dull. Replacements were easy to find, however.

--Miniature Paint Job: the painting on Arythea was, in a word, embarrassing. It was easy though, with some black paint, to at least give the figure some modesty. Other than that, I've no complaints.

--Broken Token Insert: I sleeved all of the cards with Mayday Games premium sleeves, and everything from all four game sets fits into the one box. There's not much room to spare though. (I wouldn't buy the extra dividers from Broken Token because then I doubt everything would have fit.)

----------------

WizKids product support:
I was missing one cardboard piece and a handful of others were creased or marred from having been wedged into the plastic inserts. So I submitted replacement requests on the WizKids website. I had heard many people saying it took them 6 months or longer to get replacements. But now, less than three weeks later, I've gotten an email notice that the items are shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.