Subject: Which way to roll up playmat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
A little silly of a question, but I just got a FFG playmat and was wondering how people rolled it up. Do you roll it up so that the design is on the inside? Or do you flip it over and roll it so that the design is on the outside. It seems like after storing it with the design rolled up on the inside, the edges curl up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
South Woodham Ferrers
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the same problem. It may be best to alternate it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to make a decision, I would keep it stored rolled topside outside, and roll it topside inside while transporting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I store mine with the image on the outside so that if there is any curl, it goes down towards the table surface. Never worried about switching it for transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Whiteway
Canada
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep mine with the play surface on the inside. I don't think it makes a lot of difference. One thing to add, however, make sure that when you store it you don't stand the box on its end. Lay it flat. The first one I got was stored standing up at the store and when I opened it, there were wrinkles on the end that was near the floor. They wouldn't come out and I had it replaced. I did a bit of research and found that a lot of other players had the same issue and it seemed to stem from the mat being stored on its end. I've kept mine in the box and always leave it on its side and have not had any issues with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In addition to keeping the edges from turning up when you roll it out, rolling with the design side out also makes it easier to slip the mat into your storage tube. The other side is designed to be grippy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
In addition to keeping the edges from turning up when you roll it out, rolling with the design side out also makes it easier to slip the mat into your storage tube. The other side is designed to be grippy.

^^ this.

And this is true for all of my other mats (e.g. for MtG, Mage Wars, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just leave mine on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:

^^ this.

And this is true for all of my other mats (e.g. for MtG, Mage Wars, etc).

Yup - I've also seen 'bubbles'/wrinkles appear on the top of the mat when rolled "topside in". Definitely roll it with the topside out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are they shipped in the box? It has been a while since I opened mine, and I don't remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Design side out. The "curls" go down instead of up. Plus, it's easier to see which matt is which in the cases I have if the design is out.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Juge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineers and Architects know this one.
Drawing side out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to fit in the box with the underside on the outside, so I do artwork on the outside. I have had no issues with the edges rolling.

I have seen some people get pvc pipes and make containers with that. I just bought a $1 yoga mat strap off eBay and duck taped it to my original box, but it is getting a bit beat up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are the FFG play mats originally stored in the box they come in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:

Good question!
drathbun wrote:
How are they shipped in the box? It has been a while since I opened mine, and I don't remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
RayGuns wrote:

Good question!
drathbun wrote:

Pretty sure they're boxed/shipped with top-side-out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
RayGuns wrote:

Good question!
drathbun wrote:

Mine were both shipped bottom-side out. I know because they didn't come out of the box easily. I got them when they first came out, so maybe they roll them differently now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools
Roll it rubber in, art out. Ever try to fit a playmat in a tube with the rubber out? Doesn't work.

For anyone who cares, and are familiar with UltraPro play mat tubes, they actually make a tube sized for baseball bats and you can also get a shoulder strap for them. The tube literally is the same design but bigger. A perfect storage choice. Not expensive either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.