Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tagliaferri
Switzerland
Zeiningen
Aargau
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boards here are mostly in agreement that you can win the game with four hard knocks just as long as you have all the winning conditions. What happens if the last card in a players hand would be the third matching threat but the dove is showing. All other players have no cards. Can that player play his/her last card and win the game. No players would have a card in their hand and the dove is showing, is that not a winning condition? or should all the cards in the no mans land go on top of the dove?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you win...

I don't like it... it doesn't make much sense winning the game by failing the mission but the rules for this and the situation discussed in the other thread seem to allow for that type of win...

The rules just say that when the Dove is visible and the players don't have any cards in hand they win... nothing else is checked, you don't do the support phase, you don't check for hard-knocks and you don't do the moral drops phase of the round...

so I'd say it's a victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This exact question was asked less than a week ago: Win with failed mission?

The consensus seemed to be that the rules state that you win in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trayers
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We always resolve the mission before determining if we won the game. So a failed mission would put cards covering the dove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertPT wrote:
We always resolve the mission before determining if we won the game. So a failed mission would put cards covering the dove.

that's what I think should happen but no where in the rules it states that's the way to do it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It appears the confusion is, where in the turn sequence are the victory conditions checked?

If you go by the placement in the rulebook, the victory conditions are checked at the end of the "Support" step. (The rule about being defeated due to 4 Hard Knocks specifies that this check is done after resolving the Support step). And the Victory Condition rule is included in that same box on page 8.

Thusly it stands to reason that the Victory Conditions are checked after cards from a losing mission are returned to the Trials Deck.

I'll also post this comment in the other similar thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun checked with the designer and reports the following: "the failure of the mission comes first, as it is a direct and immediate consequence of the card play. So, you play a card, handle its immediate consequences (they are part of the card play), and only then you check for victory. Which means, in our case, that you do not win."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.