Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Michel
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Perhaps I missed something in the rules ...

Since homeworlds count as colonized systems I assume that:

1. you can't move your own starships back to your homeworld (if you could, would you have to place a colony/tradestation or just skip placing one - which could be an interesting strategic move since you'd have one more move).

2. enemy starhips can't move on or over other players homeworld systems.

Is that correct?

Pretty nice game by the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read the rules, you are only allowed to move into your own Homeworld System with a damaged ship, which are then repaired (put in vertical position).

I read the rules such that it is mandatory to move your ship AND subsequently colonize the hex you landed on (unless it is an asteroid field or the Nordinn Empire). Also, you are not allowed to move into one of your own systems. Finally, your Homeworld System act as a colonized star system. Thus, all in all, I interpret the rules such that you are not allowed to move into your own Homeworld System (with an undamaged ship).

A thing that is unclear to me is what to do with the Nordinn Empire conquest Token in case there are no adjacent colonies at all. Is it then not played at all or is it put on an adjacent unoccupied hex of one's own choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Michel
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good point about the damaged ships. But do you have to place a colony/tradestation when you reach your home system? I don't think so.

Also good point about the Nordinn token. Both possibilities could make sense. Also possible: "If there are no adjacent colonies you MAY place the conquest token in an adjacent unoccupied system or remove it from play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
carpetemporem wrote:
Good point about the damaged ships. But do you have to place a colony/tradepost when you reach your home system? I don't think so.

As the Homeworld is already considered colonized I don't think so either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Michel
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
The repair seems to me as pretty rare since in most cases it would be very hard for the damaged ship to get back to the homeworld. Also it seems to me that the damage is a rather harsh penalty since all unexplored systems beside Asteroid Field and Nordinn Empire give benefits. So if you are unlucky to hit one of these two you pretty much lost the game - no benefit and a damage penalty on top!

The damage/repair also complicates the otherwise lean rules.

I think there's room for some testing of other rules.

For example:

1. You may never move back to your homeworld.

2. You may never move on or over an opponent's homeworld.

3. If you hit Asteroid Field or Nordinn Empire, your ship is destroyed but respawned as a new ship at your homeworld.

4. If and only if you occupy your homeworld at the end of the game with one or more ships, you get 2 victory points, your homeworld counts for the territory bonus and gives points to opponents' adjacent tradestations.

So it becomes a strategic option to leave a ship (or - unlikely - ships) on your homeworld (if you can move with your other ships until the game ends) to get points and possibly win the territory bonus. Also hitting Asteroid Field or Nordinn Empire would give your ship back and open one more possibility of getting points instead of just a penalty.

@TPoG:

Yet another question for Nordinn Empire:

"If you didn't have any of your Colonies adjacent to this system, you may choose anothers player's adjacent Colony instead and destroy it (return the Colony back to his supply). Put the Nordinn Empire Token onto that system."

This says "you may" and not you must. So it seems to be optional. But what happens then to the token? Remove it from play? Or put it on some unoccupied system? And what if there is no unoccupied system?

We should move theses questions about the Nordinn Empire Conquest Token to a new thread with the corresponding title!

Since you had the first question about that, would you start the thread please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
@carpetemporem

Good points.
New thread started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Michel
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
I summarized my thoughts about some improvements concerning Homeworlds, Astroid Field, Nordinn Empire, damage, Hollana Federation and Tennar Union in a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.