$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Race! Formula 90» Forums » Rules

Subject: Contests and subsections rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During play I was the leader and moved my car into a corner section, ending behind a lapped slow robot about to take it's turn.
When the time came for the slow robot to move I assume that I would be able to declare a contest and lap it again as it wouldn't defending against it?!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I think in this example the lead car is the divider for a subsection activation. The lapped car would simply pull away and then you begin a new turn which starts in the leaders section.

At least that is how we have resolved this situation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
No. I think in this example the lead car is the divider for a subsection activation. The lapped car would simply pull away and then you begin a new turn which starts in the leaders section.

At least that is how we have resolved this situation.



You might be right, I guess it would be different if there was a second car (player) in front together with the slow robot. Then those two could have a contest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A car that has moved may not challenge a contest, so the leader in this very common scenario may not contest the lapped purple car in front of it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shilinski wrote:
A car that has moved may not challenge a contest, so the leader in this very common scenario may not contest the lapped purple car in front of it.


Doesn't the rules (3.0) say that a player can participate or start a contest in more than one section/subsection during a turn, so long as they are different corner-sections. Page 19 in blue.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong though, if so please clarify.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom is right. The leading car splits the section in two. Later is only the sub-section with the slow car which gets activated. Therefore in your case the leader has no chance to play a contest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenskid wrote:
Tom is right. The leading car splits the section in two. Later is only the sub-section with the slow car which gets activated. Therefore in your case the leader has no chance to play a contest.


Thank you for chiming in. Really enjoy the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
shilinski wrote:
A car that has moved may not challenge a contest, so the leader in this very common scenario may not contest the lapped purple car in front of it.


Doesn't the rules (3.0) say that a player can participate or start a contest in more than one section/subsection during a turn, so long as they are different corner-sections. Page 19 in blue.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong though, if so please clarify.


When I looked at the new rules, I noticed they omitted that already-moved cars cannot challenge contests. (It was in the original printed rules.) I asked the designer about it, and he said he purposely left it out because the splitting-section rules covered it now. So ignore my original reason for the answer, but the result is still the same.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Lari
Italy
Rimini
(RN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's correct?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nuvolablu wrote:

It's correct?


Wow. This REALLY sucks for Blue. This is a problem with letting a car, which has already moved, declare a contest. If it wins, it blocks all cars behind it, and cars that lost the contest can't move at all. This is a disaster for players about to be lapped!

Technically, the example is correct, but I seriously doubt this is intended. Personally, I would use the original rule that says cars that have moved may not start contests. They can defend but not start. By this rule, orange could not contest blue, so blue would not be blocked. I'm going to discuss this with the designer.

Edit: Okay, he answered directly, and he rules that Blue is blocked. Fine by me. What you should learn from this is don't get lapped because bad things can happen.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never let a moved car declare a contest against a car it is about to lap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this is correct. It is an extremely rare case, but it is correct.
Of course this scenario involves human players' cars only.

From a racing point I have no problems here. Consider this:
- Orange and Blue are battling each other. Red has seriously slowed down Orange who now has to spend MPs to unlap
- Before Blue has a chance to escape, Orange and Blue must play a contest. This is very fair. If Orange wins, then he can hold down Blue, if he loses Blue will run away.
- As Orange wins here, there will be a contest next turn among all three cars. All cars have a lot to gain or lose depending on the result of this contest.

A
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
How did Orange pass Red in a corner space to begin with?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
How did Orange pass Red in a corner space to begin with?

That's a very good question! whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesc Lopez
United States
West Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Just a geek, nothing to see here, move along
mbmbmbmbmb
It is unlapping itself.

rules wrote:
A lapped player can try to unlap himself if he wishes so. Movement rules for unlapping are the same as for lapping: in a straight and in a braking section the car must spend 1 MP to unlap, in a corner the car must spend 2 MPs to unlap.


Then orange needs to stop cos it encounters blue that has the same number of laps.
It could pass blue if it had banging wheels and enough MP.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emanuel peretti
Italy
flag msg tools
I was the blue..... ahahahahsobluesobluesoblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
flope wrote:
It is unlapping itself.

rules wrote:
A lapped player can try to unlap himself if he wishes so. Movement rules for unlapping are the same as for lapping: in a straight and in a braking section the car must spend 1 MP to unlap, in a corner the car must spend 2 MPs to unlap.


Then orange needs to stop cos it encounters blue that has the same number of laps.
It could pass blue if it had banging wheels and enough MP.

Thanks! I forgot that cars unlapping themselves can overtake in corners.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
flope wrote:
It is unlapping itself.

rules wrote:
A lapped player can try to unlap himself if he wishes so. Movement rules for unlapping are the same as for lapping: in a straight and in a braking section the car must spend 1 MP to unlap, in a corner the car must spend 2 MPs to unlap.


Then orange needs to stop cos it encounters blue that has the same number of laps.
It could pass blue if it had banging wheels and enough MP.

Thanks! I forgot that cars unlapping themselves can overtake in corners.


What? Where Can this be found in writing in the rules?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Lari
Italy
Rimini
(RN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
What? Where Can this be found in writing in the rules?


UNLAPPING
A lapped player can try to unlap himself if he wishes so. Movement rules for unlapping are the same as for lapping: in a straight and in a braking section the car must spend 1 MP to unlap, in a corner the car must spend 2 MPs to unlap.
When car un-laps the Leader, readjust or remove the “-1 lap/-2 laps” chit underneath the car.
A car that has skipped its turn or, for other reasons not moved at all, can be overtaken/lapped/unlapped by other drivers by spending 1 movement point independently of the section it is in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


I don't know if I understand. ORANGE unlapping itself and IN THE SAME TURN makes a contest against BLUE?

The rulebook states the car that unlapping will play his individual turn LATER, no?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:

I don't know if I understand. ORANGE unlapping itself and IN THE SAME TURN makes a contest against BLUE?

The rulebook states the car that unlapping will play his individual turn LATER, no?


Correct. Later on when the corner section is activated, orange can challenge blue to a contest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Lari
Italy
Rimini
(RN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:

I don't know if I understand. ORANGE unlapping itself and IN THE SAME TURN makes a contest against BLUE?

The rulebook states the car that unlapping will play his individual turn LATER, no?


Hi Ismael, attention, don't to mix my example with the one on the Rulebook. In my example the orange car has already moved and the contest won't happen until first we have activated all other sections behind the leader. In the example on page 19 of the Rulebook, the orange car has not moved yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nuvolablu wrote:
descolado1 wrote:

I don't know if I understand. ORANGE unlapping itself and IN THE SAME TURN makes a contest against BLUE?

The rulebook states the car that unlapping will play his individual turn LATER, no?


Hi Ismael, attention not to mix my example with that stated in the manual. In my example the orange car has already moved while in the example from the manual orange car has not moved yet.


Hi Gianluca!

From what I understand in your example, the ORANGE is activated and unlap itself and IMMEDIATELY (in the same individual turn) make a contest against BLUE. You not wait the subsection in front of leader be activated. Is this correct?
If yes, the Orange car is activated TWO TIMES (one to unlap and other to contest) in the same orange individual turn.
If no, please forget my post, I had not understood your question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The English here is a little careless. It does not say the contest is immediate, but it lets people believe it. (Or it may just be a mistake.) The contest won't happen until first we have activated all other sections behind the leader.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shilinski wrote:
The English here is a little careless. It does not say the contest is immediate, but it lets people believe it. (Or it may just be a mistake.) The contest won't happen until first we have activated all other sections behind the leader.

Also, I don't believe it requires a car to activate to participate in a contest. In the example where orange gains position on blue by winning the contest it would not activate again. It just slows down the blue car as blue activates. Is that how others play it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.