Hands in the Sea» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you develop a location where a battle is occurring? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
Subject says it all. There is nothing in the rules that I have seen to prevent a location being developed when a battle is occurring there but it does seem slightly unthematic.

For instance in my current game Carthage just needs to develop Caralis to a city to place the last city marker and trigger one of the game ending conditions. Rome has advanced through Sardinia and Corsica and is now battling over Caralis.

It would be in the Carthages players interest to develop Caralis and trigger the game ending condition (they feel they might win with the current state of affairs as they dominate in Sicily). I understand the battle still has to be played out to its finale and so any city marker in Caralis might be captured by the Romans for final end game VP's, but does the battle in Caralis prevent the development of Caralis? as it would still be the best move for Carthage to develop it and trigger the end game.

Thanks for any help. Continuing to be a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
Ok I played out that it could be developed. So Carthage developed Caralis, placing their last city marker in the middle of a battle triggering one of the end game conditions. The battle was played out to the finish and Rome kicked Carthage out of the Caralis and settled there capturing the city marker for 2 extra points.

But the Carthaginians had been correct in their accessment of the state of affairs as with their dominance of Sicily they won the game 49 - 44. First win for Carthage!

One further question about end game scoring of captured enemy starting locations. Syracuse is not counted is it as it starts the game as neutral, is this correct?

Tempted to set it up for another run through straightaway enjoying the game that much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under 5.2.1. Attack a Location

Quote:
The Location card of the area where a battle occurs may not be used for any action, though it can still be discarded, reserved, or returned to the Empire deck.

As you need the location card to develop, you can't do it in a area under attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
Great point. Completely missed that! Well in some alternate universe Carthage cheated, stuffed the Romans and won the Punic Wars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Reject wrote:
Great point. Completely missed that! Well in some alternate universe Carthage cheated, stuffed the Romans and won the Punic Wars!

I guess the world would really be a different place. Hannibal goes on to fame and glory ending up becoming the Emperor of Carthage. Punic language would be the basis for Mediterranean speech and our planets would be called Baal and Tanit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.