$30.00
Edgar Baez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I am picking up Illustrator to create my own version of Glory to Rome. I am using Printer Studio.

So I've picked up it up fast and got some drafts I want to upload to see how they would look printed, whenever I upload an image to their site, it seems to crop out the edges, I've made sure the resolution is set to their recommendation of 825x1125 for poker sized cards and went into Adobe and changed the size of the cards to 2.5 x 3.5 inches, but I get the same results.

So what really pisses me off is I figured, if I just bring everything a little closer to the center, it'll look right on the preview, but when I do that it just ends up cropping worse which makes no sense. I know this site has been used by others to make great looking cards so I don't think its the site, I used another called thegamecrafter, exported an PNG to exactly the resolution requested, but I am still having the same issue! I reduced the size of all elements in the picture by 25 percent which should definitely do it but it still looks bad. Here is the an example card I am trying to get ready:

https://imgur.com/a/b7S2E

First one is just the way Illustrator exported it, at a 6000x8000 resolution roughly according to Windows, second was exported as a resize attempt of the elements and last one was exported EXACTLY at 825x1125.
I also included in the album what it looks like in the site, you can see the bottom right circle is cropped, the upper right is gone, and the text in the bottom left is cut off, and some versions the word Laborer is cut off too. I thought it was the tool at first, but like I said another site that specialized in printing game cards shows the same way even after exporting to their exact requested resolution, why is it showing fine on my PC? If I export it and view it in Windows, the image comes up whole, but is not right here. Any tips on what I need to do to my project to have it all print on the card scaled how I see it in AI? I can provide the AI file if anyone cares to see it.

Thanks for any help in this mystery!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card image is not supposed to go the the edge of the 825x1125 (822x112 in Printerstudio, for poker sized). There is supposed to a "bleed" area that is the safe cropping area. The actual card should stay inside the inner line.

Get the correct template.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Baez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
The card image is not supposed to go the the edge of the 825x1125 (822x112 in Printerstudio, for poker sized). There is supposed to a "bleed" area that is the safe cropping area. The actual card should stay inside the inner line.

Get the correct template.

Thank you, after playing with the elements and quadrupling the resolution I finally got the cards to fit properly on there. I have question about what you stated about the inner line. I've got the card elements in these lines now, but for my card back, I want it to splay over the edges, the red line is not the cut line correct? I've uploaded the card back and you can see I have the wreath and sides of the banner touching the edges of the card and that is what I want. I basically want the card to look like the preview from edge to edge.

Heres what it looks like in Printer Studio:

https://imgur.com/a/2RBLQ

Should I say goodbye to anyone outside the red dotted line during the cut?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That image looks great, and hopefully just what you want. However, cutting has tolerances, which means the cut line could be anywhere between where it is and the red line, and that would be within their specifications.

In practice, I found Printer's Studio to be much more accurate than that, and cards usually shift by no more than a dozen (300ppi) pixels each way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cut line is the blue line, but it can shift anywhere in the bleed area (everything outside the red line).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The templates linked above should give you exact lines on the card indicating "safe area", "cut line" and "bleed area". See below for an example.

Anything inside the red dotted line is called the "safe area" - this content will be just fine.

Anything between the red dotted line and the light blue solid line could be impacted (probably won't). The Blue line indicates the finished cut card and PrinterStudio is pretty good about this.

Anything outside of the Blue line is in the "Bleed" area and will not be in the finished card.

The template is excellent for keeping your colors on the card. I've never had a bad card from PS. I attribute this to following the template.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great answers above. I also would move the creature down. It could get the head chopped, or, most surely (if PS is that accurate), leave no margin from head to cut border.. That's too smashed, for my taste. But could be me. Maybe just the top of the head tangent with the safe zone dotted line. From what I am reading here about this company, surely it will respect the visual margin. IMO no issue if the arm gets a bit more covered by "Grubber Spy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
OneManCrafts wrote:

Great answers above. I also would move the creature down. It could get the head chopped, or, most surely (if PS is that accurate), leave no margin from head to cut border.. That's too smashed, for my taste. But could be me. Maybe just the top of the head tangent with the safe zone dotted line. From what I am reading here about this company, surely it will respect the visual margin. IMO no issue if the arm gets a bit more covered by "Grubber Spy".

Yeah good point. This is a really old draft card I was working on so it never got sent to PS. Had I completed, I would have moved the image down. Good eye!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.