$30.00
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools

Designer: Predrag Stevanovic
Genre: Abstract Tactical Battle
Play time: 5 to 15 minutes

Dice Trek: A Space Batle in a Tin is light and fast 2 player duel, in which you will be trying to be 'last ship floating'.
You will collect power and damage opponent's mothership by pushing and pulling two custom dice on a five card space battlefield, by deploying cards with units of various strength, influencing both dice simultaneosly most of the time.

Gdrive folder with all files.

To be done:
- human vs (another) human playtesting
- art overhaul

I hope you’ll have fun playing it and I’m looking forward to your feedback.

Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Backstabbing AND Cube Pushing
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 'Dice Track: Battle for Earth' - 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - component ready
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] 'Dice Track: Battle for Earth' - 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - component ready
Added Tiny Rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pecaZP wrote:
Added Tiny Rulebook.

Wonderful job with this and the cards! I'm quite impressed. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I had few games with couple non-gamers and it was surprisingly discouraging how they had problem to grasp that main mechanic of the game. Hence the big rulebook with bunch of step-to-step pictures. I was a bit worried about how i will pack all those pictures in, you know "worth thousand words", but it turned all right in the end. Set goal was to explain it clearly to someone who never saw big rulebook, and format really forces you to go to the core of things.
Main mechanic is now explained in basically two short sentences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
I have added origami dice template for Energy and Damage dice (16x16mm).
It is by far simplest and easiest method I've tried.

For those of you who would like actual template that you could use for your designs, I've created one in Inkscape. And i made short tutorial if you're not familiar with method.
link to .svg file - http://bit.ly/2d5JiLV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
pnp components v0.4
Minor change - Battlefield Cards are now arranged in actual game layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] 'Dice Trek: Battle for Earth' - 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - component ready
Added Rulebook v0.3 Tin - for double-sided printing (and weeded out some typos and errors)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] 'Dice Trek: Battle for Earth' - 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest - component ready
This is where I'd like to go with art.
It's a bit wonky and leaves a lot to be desired but at the scale it is intended for, it kinda works.
And i kinda like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Backstabbing AND Cube Pushing
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
pecaZP wrote:
This is where I'd like to go with art.
It's a bit wonky and leaves a lot to be desired but at the scale it is intended for, it kinda works.
And i kinda like it.

It's arcade-y and I like it a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Done a bit of playtesting today. Even tho the game has rather simple mechanism and doesn’t give too much room for strategising, interesting situations keep popping up. This is one of those:

Q-Borg sees opportinity.
Lock Targeting Device. Sacrifice Energy Die.

Humans can’t remove Targeting Device. (removed only by scoring Energy in the scoring area)
Humans get Energy Cube, we'll hit them with Damage Die 2x.

Humans get Energy Cube, lock Targeting Device!
Re-roll Energy Die.

It rolls 1.
Q-Borg either set-up Energy Die for Humans to score Energy and remove Targeting Device, or Energy Cube and lock Targeting Device again.
Repeat.
Resistance is futile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks fun and interesting, but that's a lot of black printer ink to use just for card backgrounds. Any chance of a low ink version with no black space backgrounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
The game looks fun and interesting, but that's a lot of black printer ink to use just for card backgrounds. Any chance of a low ink version with no black space backgrounds?

Sure. I'll do my best to make white background cards tomorrow.

Actually, i was thinking about 'barebone' version as an introductory game level for beginners, that will also fit in the tin since there are only 12 cards and 5 battlefield cards to do.

On the other hand i have finished about 70% of color version of original color art (at least for the contest) which has some cool additions to the rules and general theme, and some itching ideas that need to be tested are to follow.

Anyway, making myself laughing is not something that happens often, but i give nod to some of the greatest SF writers and TV shows of all time with this one and it just started rolling out and i can't stop it.

P.S. Advice regarding wording and grammar will be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Well it’s done, I think. Took me a better part of day but here it is,

Low Ink PnP Components v0.5.

It is kind of a big-ish update all-arround.
Regarding graphics, cards are pretty much done, ships have monitors now (dice tracking is gone) and map is revamped, so only main ships are waiting for a treatment.
Rules are added and some of them are changed or scrapped altogether.
Rulebook will be updated probably during the next week and until then, this are most important changes that you should know [and hopefuly tryout]:

1. Pushing enemy ship is gone. I have thought about it and apart from being simple and quick there is almost no benefit to the strategy, and not to mention theme, immersion...

Instead, ships can now enter same location and that triggers close combat situation.
When you enter same location as opponent, you immediately switch to B side of battlefield cards and your turn ends.
Action Dice are placed on center and set on 2.
Opponent can move away only as a first action. If he decide to do any other action before movement he has to stay at that location until his next turn.
This is to prevent ‘hit and run’ tactic. There would be no incentive to ever go into that situation otherwise.
I’ve toned down scoring area bonuses but I could imagine that they should be lowered even more. We’ll see.
Engage is meant to be either strawman attempt or when you judge that you can take some hits before your turn.
Either way, it is a risky play and I would like to hear what you think about it, and how to make it better.

2. Big changes to the map. Apart from being litterally twice bigger, there are also all of the Solar System planets, plus Earth’s Moon and Jupiter’s moon Europa (and Pluto).

I have made two versions, use one that you prefer. Second one could be used for potential goals – visit Venus, Uranus and Mars for some bonus or something like that.

- Energy cost for the movement is shown on the routes.

- Visiting Venus and Europa immediately gives you 3 Energy. It is a one-time boost for now, just to give some retreat strategy options.

- You gain 1 Energy on your next turn if you didn’t move this turn. Plain and simple.

- Rerout Energy to other systems. Convert Energy to Energy or Damage cube/s. Cubes are usable on your next turn.

- You can now land on Moon, Mars and Earth! Moon and Mars landings require 1 energy and for take-off you’ll have to spend 2 Energy.
Earth on the other hand has atmosphere, so in order to not become great ball of fire you have to have at least level 4 Energy Shield.
Take-of is also much harder, it will require 6 energy to go to the orbit because of gravity. (I don’t see it happening but hey, it’s there)
While grounded on any of this three locations, all effects to your ship are doubled.
You are being sitting target so you risk double damage, but energy gain is doubled also. You should not repair 2 Hull parts with 1 Energy tho, that would be too easy!
(but I guess no-one can stop you...)

3. New ships! And ship monitors!

Some of them are clearly stronger than others but that can be good for a challenge and should give some options for moderate ballancing for beginners.

- DT-04 ‘Hope’ is a mini ship that has mission to land on Earth. It is also equipped with DT-05 ‘Life Pod’ that you can switch to when crap hits the fan,
which is pretty much immediately with this one.
Numbers without background can hold Energy but will not carry it over to the next turn. Better than nothing, I guess.

(is it far stretched to predict a mini-book of similar quest-like missions, challenges and ship designs in the future…? Can’t think of it now focus, focus.)

4. Card Units have gained Special Abilities. They are all meant more or less for specific situations but can make difference and will certainly add flavor to the gameplay.
And since 3 of them can send 1 card into tin from your or opponent’s or even both hands for the rest of the game, you can really quickly find yourself with one card hand (or no cards at all). I was thinking about some way to add cards to a hand. One way I come up with is ‘spent movement points’ for lack of a better wording. So SMP would be Energy points that you’ve spent while moving across the system.
Seven spent Energy points = additional card in hand. This is just in idea phase, I should make tracker for that and test it.
For now, you can’t use ability if it would reduce opponent’s hand to zero. Let me know if you have some ideas about this.

5. Oh yea, almost forgot Ship Repair Module. This one is attached to the last section of your ship’s scoring area when you want to repair Hull in open space.
Used only with ‘Hope’ and ‘Salamander’ ships since they have 2 ‘repairable on the go’ Hull sections. Can be really useful but can hurt a world ‘cause hits go directly to the Hull.

And that's it for now, whew. Hope to hear from you, take care.

Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
pecaZP wrote:

2. Big changes to the map. Apart from being litterally twice bigger, there are also all of the Solar System planets, plus Earth’s Moon and Jupiter’s moon Europa (and Pluto).

Easiest way to pimp your board for a bit. I've made couple of boards this way for some kids games and they are holding up nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Thanks for the sub James!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
For my folding board, I just taped on the side opposite the art and cut the art in half. This leaves no gapping between, but does leave a thin line between.

I love your idea though, as it leaves less graphical seam (though perhaps more wobble for pieces in the middle?). You've got Earth in the center. How stable are your pieces there? I suppose you're using dice-cubes, which should stand pretty well...?

Your idea makes me want to make a long accordian fold map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
yamaraus wrote:
For my folding board, I just taped on the side opposite the art and cut the art in half. This leaves no gapping between, but does leave a thin line between.

I love your idea though, as it leaves less graphical seam (though perhaps more wobble for pieces in the middle?). You've got Earth in the center. How stable are your pieces there? I suppose you're using dice-cubes, which should stand pretty well...?

It looks gorgeous! I wouldn't mind that line at all.

I use small wooden tokens that i made, 5mm thick and 16x16mm rounded corners.
You can see them on the photos where i tried to show one of situations.
Yes, it would make small 'valley' but it wouldn't be terrible. I don't know, i've never done it at such small scale.
Maybe i should make bigger map?
Then again, maybe i end up doing it your way if i don't like result. It really looks good.

I've thought about accordion fold too, hehe. Made little tut also. My 5-card battlefield is perfect for it, but i haven't decided to do that yet.

I've just found out that my tiny rulebook is a bit larger than it should be. I wasn't taking into account big corner rounding of the box. :facepalm:
So lookout for that.
And right now i'm shrinking already shrink'd hefty book with at least half as much updates. It started to grow unexpectedly
(in a good direction, i think) and i will have to restrain myself of adding content at least for the contest.
Anyway, enough of my rant. Thanks for your interest. Aand, did i mention that your style is just lovely?

Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
May I make a suggestion about the Rulebook? Don't worry about layout and shrinking yet. Just get the rules nice and clear and the game playing smoothly.
Then make it fit. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
GreenTea532 wrote:
May I make a suggestion about the Rulebook? Don't worry about layout and shrinking yet. Just get the rules nice and clear and the game playing smoothly.
Then make it fit. meeple

thumbsup

Thank you, suggestion accepted. It is so obvious when someone points it out, right? If you're willing to listen, that is.

(walks out to get a beer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
yamaraus wrote:

This game is looking prettier and prettier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.