6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for deck-bulding game with no language dependence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Metsanurk
Estonia
flag msg tools
I have been thinking of trying some deck-building with my kids but they don't speak any other language besides our own and a lot of deck builders have extra rules printed on the cards.

Thus I'm looking into deck-building games that fulfil these criteria:

1) in terms of complexity suitable for ages 8+ to 10+;
2) no necessary in-game text (if there's some small amount of text like "Attack +1" "Defence -1", that would be ok too).

As an example, World of Tanks: Rush is exactly the kind of game I'm looking for. I'm just not sure the WWII theme will click with my daughter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Eminent Domain. There is a little bit of text on the cards but once you know the game you don't notice it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evol wrote:
I have been thinking of trying some deck-building with my kids but they don't speak any other language besides our own and a lot of deck builders have extra rules printed on the cards.

Thus I'm looking into deck-building games that fulfil these criteria:

1) in terms of complexity suitable for ages 8+ to 10+;
2) no necessary in-game text (if there's some small amount of text like "Attack +1" "Defence -1", that would be ok too).

As an example, World of Tanks: Rush is exactly the kind of game I'm looking for. I'm just not sure the WWII theme will click with my daughter.

You could look into The Big Book of Madness.
While this one has some language, it is not on the cards but on the monsters and cards and those are both open information and maybe not so much that you couldn't do cheat sheets for them.
It is also cooperative and has pretty much a "Harry Potter"-like theme, so might be interesting for your kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Copycat might do. It's not totally a deck builder, but it is. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun: Crossfire is printed in multiple languages I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvion is a pseudo deck-builder/tower-defense game (you draft cards at the beginning of the game to build your attack deck) with no text on the cards. Friday is more traditional Dominion-like deck builder with very limited text on the cards ("x1 Copy", "+1 Life", etc), but it's solo though I've played "team" Friday with my 9 y/o daughter and it worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.