GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Islebound» Forums » Variants

Subject: BUYING max 1 building per turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danilo Festa
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I love the game and I know that you can even buy 8 building in a row in your turn.
But, don't you think it would more balanced to buy (not build!) max one of them each turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would tilt the game even further towards bookselling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:

Maybe I'm dense but, how do you mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nylo wrote:
Hello, I love the game and I know that you can even buy 8 building in a row in your turn.
But, don't you think it would more balanced to buy (not build!) max one of them each turn?

What problem are you trying to solve by this? What about the "balance" of the game are you trying to "correct"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
sdiberar wrote:

I'm not up on the latest, but I thought the predominant strategy was to buy loads of books and turn them in for renown. If you make it take forever to win by pursuing buildings, it will just be easier to sell books for points.

But the first thing that needs to be understood is that buying buildings in general does not add to your score, since they are worth what you paid for them. BUILDING buildings, on the other hand, does increase your score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Festa
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
Nylo wrote:

What problem are you trying to solve by this? What about the "balance" of the game are you trying to "correct"?

I really dislike the sudden end effect... The limit of 1 building per turn could do a sort of timer to better understand when the game could end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nylo wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:
Nylo wrote:

I really dislike the sudden end effect... The limit of 1 building per turn could do a sort of timer to better understand when the game could end...

But it does create a new problem where you can never catch up to your opponent's once you've been passed. Even if I captured a town and got 12 coins, it would take several turns to convert those coins into buildings, particularly based on what buildings are available. Likewise, it would muck with the strategy of buying buildings in the first place regarding placement of individual buildings in the track. And a current strategy is to buy a cheap building in order to reveal new, potentially more useful buildings, but the opportunity to build the newly flipped building will be first given to ALL of your opponents before you get an opportunity to buy it, regardless of how many coins you had at the time.

It's all down-side to place this arbitrary limit on buying buildings.

I think a better solution to your problem is for you to pay more attention to your opponents and what they do. Count their buildings. Count their coins when you can. If you ignore their turns, then of course you'll be caught off guard when the game "suddenly" ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
ath3ist wrote:
sdiberar wrote:

I'm not up on the latest, but I thought the predominant strategy was to buy loads of books and turn them in for renown. If you make it take forever to win by pursuing buildings, it will just be easier to sell books for points.

But the first thing that needs to be understood is that buying buildings in general does not add to your score, since they are worth what you paid for them. BUILDING buildings, on the other hand, does increase your score.

In my experience, turning books directly into renown is not the predominant strategy - it's only been used a little bit in all of my plays. One thread here discussed it as such, though I noticed it was in the context of the two player game, where the board is less tight and that's easier to pull off. With a lot of players, it's much harder.

Also, converting books straight to renown does nothing to give you money, and sooner or later you need money to visit locations. If players see you going for a purely degenerate books to renown strategy, they will likely cut off your access to easy cash by not leaving you large amounts of cash in the hunt pool, and will make you get in your way a lot on other steps in your path.

In short, it's a legit strategy - it's not the 'dominant' one, at least in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traci Meiler

New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules do not say you can buy more than one building. You can only build two buildings if you are in Stratic and use the optional build A building 'free action'.
Well that was at least out interpretation. I may be completely wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anibas1111 wrote:
The rules do not say you can buy more than one building. You can only build two buildings if you are in Stratic and use the optional build A building 'free action'.
Well that was at least out interpretation. I may be completely wrong.

Per the rules, buying a building with coin is a Free Action. You take the action and buy the building. However... You can take any number of Free Actions, and therefore, you can take any number of "Buy a Building" Free Actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brach Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

to confirm correct rules;

- you can purchase with coin unlimited cards if you have the money during your free actions
- You can only build 1 building using resources when in stratic

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
b4retina wrote:
Hi,

to confirm correct rules;

- you can purchase with coin unlimited cards if you have the money during your free actions
- You can only build 1 building using resources when in stratic

Is this correct?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.