Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turn Order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I draw 2 cards, the 1st being an Epidemic and the 2nd being Resilient Population, how can I proceed?

- Use the Resilient Population card to remove 1 card from the Infection discard pile from the game before I resolve the Epidemic card

- Draw only 1 card at a time, resolving the Epidemic card and only then drawing the 2nd card
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to resolve the epidemic as soon as it's drawn, so you won't have the new event card at that point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Romano
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
You need to resolve the epidemic as soon as it's drawn, so you won't have the new event card at that point.


The rules state that you draw 2 cards, so I would play it that you do have the card for the epidemic. I could be wrong though...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Andy is right. The epidemic card IMMEDIATELY takes affect when you draw it. If it's the first card drawn, it takes affect before drawing the second card. You would still draw the second card once you are done resolving the epidemic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fullynice wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
You need to resolve the epidemic as soon as it's drawn, so you won't have the new event card at that point.


The rules state that you draw 2 cards, so I would play it that you do have the card for the epidemic. I could be wrong though...


I'm pretty sure Dan is correct. Pg 6 of the rules says you draw them together so I would play that both cards are immediately in your possession.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I guess I'm still confused?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
Ok, so I guess I'm still confused?


Me too.

To be honest, it feels right to resolve the epidemic before drawing the next card, so I think I'll continue to do that, but I'm struggling to back this up with a rules reference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Players do NOT draw their 2 cards from the player deck one at a time.
The event would be in hand.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Avatar
Both sides are right: you draw two cards at a time, but that wouldn't help you because "Event cards can be played at any time, except in between drawing a resolving a card" (page 7 of rules). So, the event card is technically in your hand, but you cannot interrupt the event of the epidemic during that turn once it has been flipped.

(with the exception of 2 epidemic cards being drawn at once, in which case you can play event cards after the first epidemic is resolved, and before the 2nd epidemic occurs)
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Both sides are right: you draw two cards at a time, but that wouldn't help you because "Event cards can be played at any time, except in between drawing a resolving a card" (page 7 of rules). So, the event card is in your hand, but you cannot interrupt the event of the epidemic during that turn.


Except for 'resilient population', which is the event mentioned by the op. Not only can it be played before resolving the epidemic, but even in between the infect and intensify steps of it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Avatar
Anny48 wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Both sides are right: you draw two cards at a time, but that wouldn't help you because "Event cards can be played at any time, except in between drawing a resolving a card" (page 7 of rules). So, the event card is in your hand, but you cannot interrupt the event of the epidemic during that turn.


Except for 'resilient population', which is the event mentioned by the op. Not only can it be played before resolving the epidemic, but even in between the infect and intensify steps of it.

I don't have the cards in front of me, so if that card lists an exception, you're right

Actually, the rules are a bit contradictory, because it mentions that you can play events between 2 epidemics (and how would you know you have two, unless you flipped them at the same time?), but it also mentions "flipping over" the second infection card. Unless they mean flip over one, resolve, and flip over the next and if it's a 2nd epidemic card, they throw you a bone and let you play event cards before the 2nd comes into play...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the board itself the turn order reads:

DRAW 2 CARDS
- resolve Epidemics
- discard to 7 cards

So I guess you first draw both cards, and only then resolve epidemics, being able to use any Special Event card drawn as 1st or 2nd card?

Also, if your hand would exceed 7 cards, you'd still be able to play Special Events in order not to waste them, even after resolving the Epidemics (between resolving epidemics and discarding to 7 cards).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
If I draw 2 cards, the 1st being an Epidemic and the 2nd being Resilient Population, how can I proceed?

- Use the Resilient Population card to remove 1 card from the Infection discard pile from the game before I resolve the Epidemic card

- Draw only 1 card at a time, resolving the Epidemic card and only then drawing the 2nd card


In this specific case you...

Do step 1 and 2 of the Epidemic card... IE increase infection rate and draw a card from the bottom of the deck and put 3 cubes on that city.

Now you may play resilient population. The card states that you can do between step 2 and 3 of an Epidemic.

Now you do Step 3 of the Epidemic card.

---

You do HAVE that card since you draw both cards simultaneously.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sparks
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting. I took a look at the current version of the rules and it states [quote]After doing 4 actions, draw the top 2 cards together from the Player
Deck.[/quote]
I am not at home right now so I can not validate but I am pretty sure the earlier versions of Pandemic stated that you draw the cards one at a time, thus you would not know you have two epidemics. That is an interesting change. If you draw an event first you are no longer able to play it before pulling your second card.

So you would
- take your actions
- draw both at the same time
- resolve any epidemics
-- If you drew two epidemics
--- resolve one epidemic
--- play any event cards you want
--- resolve the second epidemic
-- if you drew one epidemic
--- resolve one epidemic
--- play any event cards you want (this is where you could play your Resilient Population, after resolving the epidemic)
- discard to hand limit
- next players turn
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the app do it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
It never occurred to me that someone may draw the two cards simultaneously. Generally speaking most games are usually drawn one at a time so that's how I've always done it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All that being said, this is probably the only specific case where this would be an issue, right?

Either way if feels more natural to do one and a time so I'll continue to do that. To each their own.


The rules specifically say "draw 2 cards together". It doesn't say draw them one at a time.

It also says, if one of your two card draw was an epidemic, you do not draw again to replace it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spazz451 wrote:
This is interesting. I took a look at the current version of the rules and it states [quote]After doing 4 actions, draw the top 2 cards together from the Player
Deck.[/quote]
I am not at home right now so I can not validate but I am pretty sure the earlier versions of Pandemic stated that you draw the cards one at a time, thus you would not know you have two epidemics. That is an interesting change. If you draw an event first you are no longer able to play it before pulling your second card.

So you would
- take your actions
- draw both at the same time
- resolve any epidemics
-- If you drew two epidemics
--- resolve one epidemic
--- play any event cards you want
--- resolve the second epidemic
-- if you drew one epidemic
--- resolve one epidemic
--- play any event cards you want (this is where you could play your Resilient Population, after resolving the epidemic)
- discard to hand limit
- next players turn


Yes with the addition that Resilient Population specifically allows playing between Step 2 and Step 3 of an Epidemic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spazz451 wrote:

I am not at home right now so I can not validate but I am pretty sure the earlier versions of Pandemic stated that you draw the cards one at a time, thus you would not know you have two epidemics. That is an interesting change.


I don't think this was ever changed. The rules specifically tell you how to handle drawing two epidemics together. (Or maybe my rules are not the original original original rules.)

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about epidemic and event card draws, but the app does have you draw two cards at once. If you've got a current hand of seven and you draw two new cards, it will have the 9 cards in your hand and have you choose which two to discard. I does not make you draw, then discard then draw and discard again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
The card states that you can do between step 2 and 3 of an Epidemic.




Yeah, I have the original version, so I never knew I could interrupt an Epidemic card. But I guess they clarified that.
Play at any time really means play at any time laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
Davej360 wrote:
It never occurred to me that someone may draw the two cards simultaneously. Generally speaking most games are usually drawn one at a time so that's how I've always done it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All that being said, this is probably the only specific case where this would be an issue, right?

Either way if feels more natural to do one and a time so I'll continue to do that. To each their own.


The rules specifically say "draw 2 cards together". It doesn't say draw them one at a time.

It also says, if one of your two card draw was an epidemic, you do not draw again to replace it.


Hmm, that's interesting. I think I'm going off what I remember seeing on the Table Top show, but they used the original version which seems to explain that you draw one at a time. But Yes, I do know that you only draw two so if one or both are epidemic's you don't draw additional cards.

But I still think in this very specific case, is the only time it will matter if you draw one or two at a time.


Watch Tabletop for entertainment and to get the "idea" of how a game is played... but never, ever, ever, ever, for learning how to play correctly.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Davej360 wrote:

Hmm, that's interesting. I think I'm going off what I remember seeing on the Table Top show, but they used the original version which seems to explain that you draw one at a time. But Yes, I do know that you only draw two so if one or both are epidemic's you don't draw additional cards.

But I still think in this very specific case, is the only time it will matter if you draw one or two at a time.


Watch Tabletop for entertainment and to get the "idea" of how a game is played... but never, ever, ever, ever, for learning how to play correctly.


The number of major mistakes they made put me off so much I can't watch it anymore. Well that and sometimes the players act like they don't want to be there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
msg tools
Avatar
mb
I'm really surprised that this has been so debated.

Edit: Tom Lehmann responds directly to this question here.

To be COMPLETELY clear:

There have been posts from the maker of the game (Tom?) stating that technically the draw 2, then resolve, is correct. That is, the event could be played, despite being drawn second. The original rules seemed ambiguous I think and this was a common question at the time which was resolved by him.

It turns out that many groups play it the other way (mine did for some time) where each card was drawn 1 at a time and resolved due to the ambiguity. I could be wrong, but I think I even remember reading somewhere that Tom said this was okay too as long as people were having fun, despite the technical rule being to draw 2, then resolve.

Regards,
SBS.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Holt
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smellybluesocks wrote:
as long as people were having fun, despite the technical rule


This should always be rule #1, especially in a co-op game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.