Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: arkham help, have not played in a few years rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tommy lee
msg tools
I am sure these have been answered somewhere, but with over 3k posts, ill ask again as I am just starting to play this again after many years.

I own base,dun,inn,misk

1. some of the spell cards have an X in the lower left where the (hands) should be. What do these X's mean?

2. Gate+monster lands on a investigator during the mythos phase. Does the investigator then during his movement phase fight the monster or is he pulled into the gate without having to fight? ( as i read the instructions he gets sucked in right away)

3. Normal gate, investigator moves into it on the encounter phase, do they then get a otherworld card in the first spot after entering?

4. In the dunwich expansion it says in the rules that monsters in dun do not count toward the monster limits. Is this the same case for iinnsmouth?

5. Can someone explain movement for aquatic locations, as 2 locations on the arkham horror base board are aquatic according to the innsmouth rule book.

6. Investigator, 2 monsters at his location. Inv has 2 weapons, one is an exhaust after use and the other is always available. Fighting the first monster the investigator uses his exhaust weapon, after beating the first monster does he still have that weapon in his hand or to fight the next monster same round does he need to use a new weapon.

I am sure I will have more!

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.x means that it doesn't use hands eg. Alien device. Some of the attack spells use hands so you can't have both powerful spells and powerful items because you just run out of hands.

2. Everytime a gate upons on an investigator he/she is immediately sucked right in and delayed.

3. Remember the phases. During the movement phase the investigator moves to the gate, during arkham encounter he goed through the gate and in otherworld encounter he has the first encounter in the other world.

4. Yep.

5. Monsters move normally (black/white) unless there is someone on an aquatic location. If there is the monster moves to them (if they move that is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6. The weapon is exhausted until next upkeep. You cannot use it in the second fight. It is usually indicated on the card itself (e.g. on Elephant Gun is "Exhaust before making a Combat check to gain +8 to that check") that it affects only one combat/combat check (one roll).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy lee
msg tools
THANK you all so much, so many rule books

when in the other world, even if you are delayed you will still only have 2 encounters correct ( unless noted by card)

IE

Delayed-movement stand up, other world phase, next movement phase he moves to the next area, rinse and repete for the second area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The delay basically ensures, that you will have two encounters there as normal, unless you use *cough* some spell *cough*;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bishnickee wrote:
THANK you all so much, so many rule books

when in the other world, even if you are delayed you will still only have 2 encounters correct ( unless noted by card)

IE

Delayed-movement stand up, other world phase, next movement phase he moves to the next area, rinse and repete for the second area

You might be interested in these:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/132057/arkham-horror-refe...
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/132379/arkham-horror-inve...
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/132672/arkham-horror-anci...

The number of encounters you have depends on when you were drawn through and delayed. Just follow the turn sequence. If you happened to be drawn through as part of an Arkham encounter, you will have 3 encounters in the Other World (you will have one encounter while your marker is on its side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy lee
msg tools
These are awesome! Thanks much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamzombie wrote:
1.x means that it doesn't use hands eg. Alien device. Some of the attack spells use hands so you can't have both powerful spells and powerful items because you just run out of hands.

2. Everytime a gate upons on an investigator he/she is immediately sucked right in and delayed.

3. Remember the phases. During the movement phase the investigator moves to the gate, during arkham encounter he goed through the gate and in otherworld encounter he has the first encounter in the other world.

4. Yep.

5. Monsters move normally (black/white) unless there is someone on an aquatic location. If there is the monster moves to them (if they move that is).

These answers are all correct but I want to provide some clarification:

1. To my knowledge, spell cards don't have the X: only non-spell items that would otherwise add to your combat bonus. The idea is that you can use them even if you have no more free hands.

3. If the investigator is in the OW during Phase 4, regardless of if he's delayed, he will have an OW encounter.

4. Same for Kingsport, should you ever get it. "Monster limit" is an Arkham-only thing, because the other three boards have their own ways to deal with monsters. D and I use vortices, and K doesn't get many monsters at all.

5. Aquatic monsters ONLY use their aquatic movement if there is someone in an aquatic space and the monster itself is in an aquatic space. This means that aquatic movement is very, very uncommon—Dunwich doesn't even have aquatic spaces, and Arkham only has two. Most often, aquatic monsters will move as normal (black) monsters.

6. An investigator can only use an exhaust-to-use weapon if it's not exhausted. So, the investigator only gets to use that weapon (e.g. Carbine Rifle) one time (that is, one roll) per full turn.

Combat spells are a little different, because while you exhaust spells to cast them, a spell will stay in your hands until the combat ends or you voluntarily switch it out. So you can use Shriveling for multiple successive combat rounds against the same monster until you win or lose or flee or un-equip the spell (probably for an in-case-of-emergencies weapon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy lee
msg tools
thank you again.

i just played with the innsmouth /dunwich expansions, with 4 players we never added any tokens to the innsmouth deep ones.

with that said, if a mythos card is pulled and there is no gate, but instead you have to put 2 doom tokens on the elder one...does this count as preventing a gate..I think no..but just double checking.

the outskirts, once a monster is in the outskirts, is there ANY way for it to return to the arkham board?

and for the last one for now ........

the bootlegger character in the innsmouth exp. it says he never has to discard cards or money, but he still has to pay costs....so defaulting on the loan it states to discard the items. Also in his starting set up, he gets a bank loan, so you add 10 to his starting cash..as I do not see a reason otherwise to have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bishnickee wrote:
i just played with the innsmouth /dunwich expansions, with 4 players we never added any tokens to the innsmouth deep ones.

Did you remember to count instances where a seal has prevented a gate from opening?

Quote:
with that said, if a mythos card is pulled and there is no gate, but instead you have to put 2 doom tokens on the elder one...does this count as preventing a gate..I think no..but just double checking.

No, this doesn't count; neither does a monster surge.

Quote:
the outskirts, once a monster is in the outskirts, is there ANY way for it to return to the arkham board?

Outside of some very rare, specifically-stated random effect, no. Effectively no.

Edit: except of course, when they get returned to the cup upon overflow. But moving directly back to Arkham is almost unheard of.

Quote:
the bootlegger character in the innsmouth exp. it says he never has to discard cards or money, but he still has to pay costs....so defaulting on the loan it states to discard the items. Also in his starting set up, he gets a bank loan, so you add 10 to his starting cash..as I do not see a reason otherwise to have it.

You do not give him the added 10 dollars. He starts with only 8. Clearly, he loses nothing when he defaults. The reason the designers gave him the loan to start off is so that players won't immediately go to the Bank and get a free 10 dollars; that's boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bishnickee wrote:

Indirectly. If the monster limit in the outskirts is exceeded, the monsters go back to the cup. Thus, any monster can possibly be drawn again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.