fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
I'm sorry sir, but I called for an Uber, not the Ghostbusters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh the MkI travel machine.

Now, we can begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be honest I fully expected to find a picture of one crashed into a tree.

I am disappoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cold_fuzion wrote:

I am disappoint.
They just started yesterday, give them time.
I'm sure the first minor fender-bender they are involved with, the local news will be on them like flies on shyte, yearning for a return to the bygone days of horse-and-buggy, instead of all of this wacky "tekk-gnaw-low-jee."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

I am disappoint.
They just started yesterday, give them time.
I'm sure the first minor fender-bender they are involved with, the local news will be on them like flies on shyte, yearning for a return to the bygone days of horse-and-buggy, instead of all of this wacky "tekk-gnaw-low-jee."

There were a lot of expectations this would happen with Google's tests, but it took forever for the first accident where the automatic car was genuinely at fault. When it did happen, the news was mostly about how amazing it was that it took so long for it to happen, and Google's immediate plan of action to correct the error. From what I remember, the accident was caused by the car pulling out timidly in front of a bus which did not slow down/in time.

I think the public is ready for this, I doubt we see a big outcry unless there is a serious injury/fatality in the coming month. This is much different than Tesla's autopilot, which is dangerously misleading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
CasualSax wrote:
I think the public is ready for this, I doubt we see a big outcry unless there is a serious injury/fatality in the coming month.
The genie is definitely out of the bottle.
I can see a day 100 years from now when some old man (possibly one of ChitChat's grandchildren) sits on a porch and tells stories to the children of the future:

"GATHER ROUND, CHILDREN! Let Grampa ChitChat tell you about the olden days, when we actually were able to drive our own cars!"
"Wow, really Grampa?!?"
"Absolutely, junior! You had to have things called car keys, and you jammed them in this thing called an ignition. And after that, you could move the steering wheel and hit the gas & brake, and it was totally up to you where you wanted to go! That was freedom, son... that was freedom."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
CasualSax wrote:
I think the public is ready for this, I doubt we see a big outcry unless there is a serious injury/fatality in the coming month.
I can see a day 100 years from now when some old man (possibly one of ChitChat's grandchildren) sits on a porch and tells stories to the children of the future:

"GATHER ROUND, CHILDREN! Let Grampa ChitChat tell you about the olden days, when we actually were able to drive our own cars!"
"Wow, really Grampa?!?"
"Absolutely, junior! You had to have things called car keys, and you jammed them in this thing called an ignition. And after that, you could move the steering wheel and hit the gas & brake, and it was totally up to you where you wanted to go! That was freedom, son... that was freedom."
Bloody Steering Justice Warriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
CasualSax wrote:

"Wow, really Grampa?!?"

Wait, you mean you actually held the driving controls in your hand, and one slipup and you could kill yourself and all your passengers? And even innocent pedestrians walking down the street? And millions of people a year died this way?

Christ, Grandpa, it's a wonder any of you survived long enough to build the automated drivers. Thank goodness for the laws that keep us safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

"Wow, really Grampa?!?"
That's not how the conversation would go.

"GATHER ROUND, CHILDREN! Let Grampa ChitChat tell you about the olden days, when we actually had to drive our own cars!"

"Wow, really Grampa?!?"

"Absolutely, junior! You had to have things called car keys, and you jammed them in this thing called an ignition. And after that, you could move the steering wheel and hit the gas & brake, and you had to control where the car would go and make sure it didn't hit anything."

"But how could you watch holo-tv if you had to do that?"

"You couldn't, boy! You had to pay attention to all the other cars, making sure not to hit them, and the route. Heck, you even had to know all the twists and turns to get somewhere! And furthermore, there was none of this 250 mph traffic we can do today. Even the largest highways usually capped the speed limit at about 65 mph because everyone relied on human reaction times to prevent massive accidents."

"Cars used to have accidents?"

"Oh yes! All the time. People would often be killed in car accidents. Heck most of driving was either knowing where you needed to go, trying to avoid accidents or parking your car."

"Parking your car?"

"Back in the day, your car wouldn't drop you off at the door and then pick you up when you left. You'd have to find somewhere to park your car and then walk back to the door. Sometimes that meant you'd have to walk blocks to get back."

"Are you making this up?"

"Not at all youngster. Most of the time the walk to your car and back was uphill both ways! I tell you, your generation is lucky. You just get in the car and tell it where to go and let it do all the rest. That's freedom, son... that's freedom."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
slatersteven wrote:
You should totally trademark that phrase & start a blog before someone else does!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of funny to see how much people either want to love or hate this technology. I'm skeptical. It needs a lot of testing as there are just way too many variables and weird scenarios that pop up on the roads. I'm not ready to hail this as the next big thing just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
It's kind of funny to see how much people either want to love or hate this technology. I'm skeptical. It needs a lot of testing as there are just way too many variables and weird scenarios that pop up on the roads. I'm not ready to hail this as the next big thing just yet.

Given how software engineers seem to think that they can just patch things these days, I'm guessing that this will never be solid enough technology to buy... at least until it's version 5 and has been patched a couple times.

You know the part that's hardest to code in games? The AI... it always does things you don't expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Self driving cars? Yawn. A reboot from 3,000 years ago:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cold_fuzion wrote:
It's kind of funny to see how much people either want to love or hate this technology.
Love it or hate it, my point is there will be folks romanticizing our current (and one day bygone) age. It's the nature of people. Especially old people.

As for tech, there will always be naysayers. Socrates warned against writing because it would "create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories." We did okay there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
It's kind of funny to see how much people either want to love or hate this technology.
Love it or hate it, my point is there will be folks romanticizing our current (and one day bygone) age. It's the nature of people. Especially old people.

As for tech, there will always be naysayers. Socrates warned against writing because it would "create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories." We did okay there.

I don't remember Socrates ever saying that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Writing helps people remember. Having access to reread allows you to expand knowledge so much farther. But yeah, then you don't have to just remember everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
You have a point, but there is also something to be said for skepticism with some tech. If they announced tomorrow that they had bionic eyes that have so far only been used on mice and the only improvement they offered was the ability to finally see the color indigo properly there would be hundreds of people begging to have their eyes popped out.

I'm all for the day I can get in a car and just have it drive me off to wherever. It'll make those long-ass road trips a lot more enjoyable, but since we still live in a time when my GPS occasionally still sees me as being 400 yards from where I really am, I will maintain a little concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Socrates warned against writing...

Well, he also had a thing for hemlock, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Socrates warned against writing...

Well, he also had a thing for hemlock, so...

Probably forgot it was poison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Given how software engineers seem to think that they can just patch things these days, I'm guessing that this will never be solid enough technology to buy... at least until it's version 5 and has been patched a couple times.

You know the part that's hardest to code in games? The AI... it always does things you don't expect.

Yeah, but it doesn't need to be perfect. It just needs to be better than human drivers. Have you seen how terrible human drivers are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

If I remember correctly, in Asimov's The Naked Sun (1956) a guy had to go to some back woods planet for something. He was met at the space port by a local, and they hopped in a car. The car was not self-driving, and the city-slicker type was mortified, and feared for his life: a human at the wheel!? Unthinkable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

If I remember correctly, in Asimov's The Naked Sun (1956) a guy had to go to some back woods planet for something. He was met at the space port by a local, and they hopped in a car. The car was not self-driving, and the city-slicker type was mortified, and feared for his life: a human at the wheel!? Unthinkable!

But if it's a robot driving the car, then it's still not a human at the wheel, right?

(I don't remember that scene, but I remember the book, and I'm pretty sure that the narrator was only in the presence of one other human on that planet, the murder victim's wife, and the rest of the time it was robots. Then again, what do I know, my memory has been destroyed by reading, and it's been over 30 years since I read it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
Ahh the MkI travel machine.

Now, we can begin.

I've always favoured the perfected Mark III Travel Machine myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinion:

Just say, no. I suggest and do say no to uber, lyft, and the likes. I am also not a fan of automated automobiles. In general I enjoy being able to do things for myself.

So I recommend just saying, No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be worried about software glitches, power or communications outages, and hackers. I guess that puts me in the skeptic camp for now, not that it won't happen, but that it'll take a while to figure out and be good/safe enough to replace mainstream.

Could start a whole new round of protest besides the cabbies. E.g. Self-driving 18 wheelers for distribution, now the truckers are feeling threatened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.