5 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Punishable-on-Block Attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jitjit2x junior
Philippines
flag msg tools
Battlecon's design is based on Fighting game mechanics. But, as far as I observed, there are no mechanics or rules simulating attacks that are punishable on blocks. Think of Ryu's Dragon Punch on a blocking opponent. The opponent can readily punish the DP after it's animation.

Or does Battlecon simulate this in a different manner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no explicit frame advantage, but "punishable-on-block" attacks are simulated by either strong pairs that eat a large portion of the character's power budget (if Clockwork Shot gets Dodged, Cadenza is substantially weaker while the two cycle) or resource-heavy attacks that don't regenerate their resources (if 3-5 Malice Combination Drive gets dodged, Shekhtur needs to spend a lot of effort building back up to full strength).

Oriana is probably the worst offender in this regard - she has a lot of attacks that are great if they hit, but if they miss...ouch.

(Technically, the most accurate "punishable on block" simulator is Baenvier's Curse style, but that's explicitly prio-based.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Garza
United States
Visalia
ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the gist of what he's talking about is successfully predicting an attack and being able to punish the opponent. To which I would say this is a core mechanic in battlecon. Whether it's playing an attack that gives you lot's of soak or stun guard to allow you to absorb ahit and counter attack or stepping out of the way of the attack, the game is all about predicting what your oppenent will play and capitlizing on accurate predictions. There a whole class of characters called counter attackers who are based absorbing the opponents attack.

If you browse through some of the Play by Forum games here, you'll see what I'm talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jitjit2x junior
Philippines
flag msg tools
How bout using the Guard base, a Delta base, replacing Dash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider any high damage, low priority moves with high stun guard or soak to be equivalent to reversal situations. You "block" the attack then hit back with more damage.

Where this differs from 2d fighting games is that high speed low power attacks are vulnerable. So there is a little mindset change, fast attacks are rush down and low speed attacks are reversals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.