Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this and was a little shocked:
https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/the-period...

Whatever happened to just, y'know, having that little talk with your kids? And if you bought this game, really how often is it going to get played?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:
And if you bought this game, really how often is it going to get played?!

Around once a month? (SCNR)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
jobby wrote:
And if you bought this game, really how often is it going to get played?!

Around once a month? (SCNR)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Hike
msg tools
Nobody talks to their kids anymore. People just force them to binge watch Full House.

Ideally, I'd like to play my games once a month. Sadly, many games on my shelf have never been played due to lack of a social circle. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno... It seems like an interesting way to shift "the talk" from a "serious discussion" into more of a casual thing. I suspect that many young girls might have some anxiety about the changes that their bodies are going through, or about to go through. Making it a game could alleviate some of that anxiety.

I don't think any parent will buy this with the idea that now they don't have to talk about this with their daughter (or son). If anything this is going to spur that discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, at least they didn't just re-theme Fireball Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Schwalenberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
At least post their website =)

http://www.periodgame.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:
Whatever happened to just, y'know, having that little talk with your kids?

Is there something wrong with playing an educational game (assuming it's a decent game) about a subject?

Is there some reason that parents can't also talk to their kids about a subject if the kids play a game about the subject?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the boys version that teaches them about wet dreams?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just glad we have a game about the Birds! and the Bees

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:

Whatever happened to just, y'know, having that little talk with your kids? And if you bought this game, really how often is it going to get played?!

You're a game explainer... you would figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could paste the link on your kid's facebook account or maybe just tweet them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it isn't aimed at the general boardgaming market and is more geared towards school health curriculums and educational programs.

I've got no problem with it. The social stigma attached to menstruation (and, if you don't mind me saying, implicit in the OP) is not only stupid; it's an antiquated relic from a 17th-century puritannical attitude to sex and has no function in the modern world except as a misogynistic brickbat. It's no weirder than hair growth or respiration (which, I grant you, are kind of miraculously/mechanically weird, but not regarded with the same attitude in some circles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And in the you-can't-make-this-stuff-up category, the game won a Red Dot Design award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what are period? What's masturbation? And most importantly what are kids?

On a serious note, I could see this being good in a sex ed. class for younger students. I think I got my first sex ed. class in 5th grade, where they explained what the reproductive organs were. The line that still sticks out in my head: "The testes are the size of two small olives."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Tim RTC wrote:
What about the boys version that teaches them about wet dreams?

Because patriarchy . . . ? I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:

The other night, I spent several hours talking to my kids about various important topics. Their response was complete silence. I wondered if I'd disturbed them with my open, frank discussions. Then I remembered I don't have any kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
And in the you-can't-make-this-stuff-up category, the game won a Red Dot Design award.

Full marks for spotting that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
jobby wrote:
Whatever happened to just, y'know, having that little talk with your kids?

Is there something wrong with playing an educational game (assuming it's a decent game) about a subject?

Is there some reason that parents can't also talk to their kids about a subject if the kids play a game about the subject?

I suppose not but it seemed a strange way of going about things. Far simpler to actually to just talk to your kid about it. It doesn't seem to be a subject that needs the extra window dressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Triboluminous wrote:
I suspect it isn't aimed at the general boardgaming market and is more geared towards school health curriculums and educational programs.

I've got no problem with it. The social stigma attached to menstruation (and, if you don't mind me saying, implicit in the OP) is not only stupid; it's an antiquated relic from a 17th-century puritannical attitude to sex and has no function in the modern world except as a misogynistic brickbat. It's no weirder than hair growth or respiration (which, I grant you, are kind of miraculously/mechanically weird, but not regarded with the same attitude in some circles).

Actually I hadn't thought of schools, etc. using this board game when I started the thread. That certainly makes sense (although is possibly still a bit weird in my view).

I certainly hope I didn't come across as viewing menstruation with a stigma, more that I thought it a bit odd making a board game about it. Equally, I would think a board game that taught kids about hair growth or respiration would be odd. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archelaous wrote:
Nobody talks to their kids anymore. People just force them to binge watch Full House.

We just do it with board games. On the table this month are:

Wake Up, Sleepyhead.
Get A Job.

and everyone's favorite

NO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I dunno... It seems like an interesting way to shift "the talk" from a "serious discussion" into more of a casual thing. I suspect that many young girls might have some anxiety about the changes that their bodies are going through, or about to go through. Making it a game could alleviate some of that anxiety.

I don't think any parent will buy this with the idea that now they don't have to talk about this with their daughter (or son). If anything this is going to spur that discussion.

I mean, yeah. I'm picturing the parent who buys this game and they don't strike me as someone who would be avoiding having serious talks with their kids. Rather, they're buying the game because they're looking at different ways to get across information. Whatever works, I say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really tempted to buy this game and bring it to game night and plop it down in front of a bunch of 25 - 45 year old hardcore gamers and act like it's just any other game.

"Whadda ya mean? We just played Terra Mystica and I was thinking we'd do the Period Game and then finish off with Power Grid."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I'm really tempted to buy this game and bring it to game night and plop it down in front of a bunch of 25 - 45 year old hardcore gamers and act like it's just any other game.

"Whadda ya mean? We just played Terra Mystica and I was thinking we'd do the Period Game and then finish off with Power Grid."

Your humor seems to be predicated on the assumption that "hardcore gamers" = males. I don't see any shock value in putting this game down in front of a bunch of females.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
cool username wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Your humor seems to be predicated on the assumption that "hardcore gamers" = males. I don't see any shock value in putting this game down in front of a bunch of females.

Well, typically hardcore gamers ARE male and really I think it would be just as funny dropping it down in front of a bunch of hardcore female gamers as well. Equal opportunity hilarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.