Hide
10 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: So where are the Runes in Runebound? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew A
msg tools
Both 1st and 2nd editions had movement dice with terrain symbols (the runes) while 3rd edition has 5 dice with pictures of the different terrain plus a wild. Besides that, cool game. It's been one of the most requested games with my gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
Only In It For The Chuckles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game title refers to Terrinoth lore not to actual runes included or used in the components of the game.

IIRC after Dragon Lord Margath was defeated in the Dragon Wars the surviving dragons were imprisoned using Dragon Runes which were entrusted to the elves. Hence those dragons are 'Rune Bound'.

Not entirely sure but I am sure someone on here will know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Withywindle wrote:
I think the game title refers to Terrinoth lore not to actual runes included or used in the components of the game.

IIRC after Dragon Lord Margath was defeated in the Dragon Wars the surviving dragons were imprisoned using Dragon Runes which were entrusted to the elves. Hence those dragons are 'Rune Bound'.

Not entirely sure but I am sure someone on here will know

This is true, though I usually think of the combat tokens as the runes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GuidedVoice wrote:
Both 1st and 2nd editions had movement dice with terrain symbols (the runes) while 3rd edition has 5 dice with pictures of the different terrain plus a wild. Besides that, cool game. It's been one of the most requested games with my gaming group.

Those are just symbols representing terrain and were never used for anything else. I highly doubt that they were ever intended to be "runes".

The Runes were held by the dragons in the red cards in second edition. None of the second edition expansions referenced runes again.

I like Paul T's theory. Either way, the "runes" of the previous game(s) were never so important a feature that they needed to be carried forward to every version of the game, just for the sake of being referenced by the name of the game. Forcing a "rune" concept into RB3 would have compromised the streamlined game play for no actual benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are runes in the game
some items you can buy are special runes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
there are runes you can buy them in the shops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The dragonlords seized many of the Stars, and broke
some into small slivers, inscribing mystic runes upon them. The
magic of each runebound shard has been focused and refined
so that even those without magical training may unleash their
unique power

this can be found in the Runebound 3rd Edition "Learn to Play" booklet, and explains why the series is called "Runebound".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intersting. A Runebound without runes.

Maybe during playtesting it turned out they rune'd the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew A
msg tools
Just seems to me that in the 1st two editions the movement dice have "runes" on on them so the character is "bound" by the dice with "runes" thus the title of the game RUNEBOUND.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
GuidedVoice wrote:
Just seems to me that in the 1st two editions the movement dice have "runes" on on them so the character is "bound" by the dice with "runes" thus the title of the game RUNEBOUND.

OK, but that's not actually the reason. The actual reason has been explained above.

If it bothers you, you could just as easily say the symbols on tokens are runes (at least as much as the terrain symbols) and characters are equally bound by those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.