Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is Spring, 1777, and the French and Patriots have just signed the Treaty of Alliance.

Questions:

1. Three French Regulars deploy to the West Indies from Unavailable. However, the British have only two Regulars total (in Unavailable and Available). Am I correct in assuming, then, that they deploy only those two. They don't redeploy from elsewhere on the board to WI, right?

2. Non-Player French Muster says to place "as many as possible". I assume this means within the confines of the main rule, which specifies up to four Regulars? (Seems to me the Non-Player French and British rules should specify that.)

3. The main French Muster rule allows for the conversion of two French Regulars into a Patriot Fort if the Patriot pays. I saw no mention of this transaction in the Non-Player rules. Does that mean I never do that with a Non-Player French?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Yes, per 5.1.3 "If not all of its text can be carried out, implement that which can."

There is nothing in the Event text that would allow you to take Regulars from anywhere else, and the 1.4.1 option to remove pieces to Available doesn't apply to Regulars (and since the French are executing the Event, the British couldn't use that option anyway).

2. Yes, per the first sentence of 8.1: "Non-Players must follow all rules as if players, except for the following: ...". All bot instructions are limited by their respective main rules. Explicitly pointing out these confines for some but not all bot instructions cause more questions about whether or not the other instructions are also so confined than they pre-empt... and there isn't enough room to include the relevant restrictions in every bot instruction on the flowcharts.

3. Correct. Non-player French aren't interested in giving the Patriots free victory points.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Razler
msg tools
Not to pile on (but I will)...

In regard to your question #1, in addition to Oerjan's response, 8.1 also states:

"No voluntary removal. Non-player Factions never use the
1.4.1 option to take their own forces from the map in order
to place them elsewhere when they have no appropriate pieces
Available."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying this game, but I constantly worry that I'm doing something wrong. I feel I'm starting to get it, though. This is the kind of game that makes me think while I'm laying in bed and can't sleep. I go over options for my next move and think about long-term strategy. Exactly what I want in a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob! So glad that this one is grabbing you! Harold, MikeB, Oerjan, and team did a great job with it, I believe. Best regards! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.