Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions on Solo Setup and Scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
1) Solo setup adds 1 bystander to the villain deck, what if the scheme is "Replace Earth's Leaders with Killbots" eg. where you add 18 bystanders, does it add up to 19?

2) "Page 20 says: "The normal number of scheme twists tules listed on the Scheme Special Solo rules" where are these special solo rules?

3) On scoring a solo play do I count setup scheme twists (such as above scheme, starts with 3 twists next to scheme) as -x or only schemes drawn during play?

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You add the number required by thr scheme. In your example, you would have 18 bystanders.

2. There aren't usually. When there is a special number requires for solo play, it says 1 player right on the scheme.

3. Someone who plays solo games will have to answer that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into a similar problem last night playing solo using the Massive Earthquake Generator scheme. The scheme calls for you to KO a hero every time there is a scheme twist where you cannot show a green carded hero. Also, the standard solo rules require that you KO a hero upon the successful completion of any scheme twist.

Well, you see the problem right? Even if you have a green carded hero in your hand when the scheme twist comes out, you still have to KO a hero under the standard rules. Well, the scheme itself states that evil wins if three times the number of colored heroes is in the KO pile relative to the number of players. That means that after three scheme twists, no matter if you are successful or not, the game is over for a solo player.

Therefore, for this scheme, I used the Dark City advanced solo rules where you don't KO your heroes, but place them at the bottom of the hero deck instead.

I agree with you though, for this scheme in which you have to put 18 bystanders into the deck, you would overload your villain deck with bystanders if you did this.

I believe the "Scheme Special Solo Rules" are simply the "Special Rules" listed on the card, but I could be mistaken on that.

I haven't played the game solo a ton, but I imagine that you would score each scheme independently. In other words, count those three scheme twists as negative, but don't compare your score with this scheme to other schemes. When scoring, judge your success by your previous high score using that same scheme. In other words, a 20 with the Bank Robbery scheme might not be the same as a 20 using the Killbots scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay this doesn't answer your questions but...

If you're playing solo then you need to check out the Golden Solo Ruleset.

It's by far the best way to play Legendary Solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hath22 wrote:

I was a big fan of the Golden Solo ruleset until I started playing in the Legendary Online leagues here on BGG. Those leagues use Advanced Solo rules, which eventually caused confusion on what does what after having played probably 50 or more games with Golden Solo. I've since switched exclusively to Advanced Solo, and I haven't looked back. It's certainly easier for setup/takedown also.

I much prefer Advanced Solo to the regular Solo rules. You no longer KO Hero cards on a Scheme Twist, but you use all of the Mastermind's Master Strike cards, so the difficulty is ramped up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:

I much prefer Advanced Solo to the regular Solo rules. You no longer KO Hero cards on a Scheme Twist, but you use all of the Mastermind's Master Strike cards, so the difficulty is ramped up.

Thx! I just had a peek and these look way better. I've only just bought Marvel Legendary and played a couple of solo games, but I found them way to easy scoring at around 50 each time. Especially if you include someone like Hulk you basically can't loose. I'll try these out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shappy1010 wrote:
1) Solo setup adds 1 bystander to the villain deck, what if the scheme is "Replace Earth's Leaders with Killbots" eg. where you add 18 bystanders, does it add up to 19?
When there is a "conflict" like this, the Scheme set-up takes priority.

shappy1010 wrote:
2) "Page 20 says: "The normal number of scheme twists tules listed on the Scheme Special Solo rules" where are these special solo rules?
The Advanced Solo rules are found in Dark City. If you don't have that expansion yet, a PDF of those can be found here --> http://www.upperdeck.com/OP/RuleBooks/Legendary_Rules-Dark_C...

shappy1010 wrote:
3) On scoring a solo play do I count setup scheme twists (such as above scheme, starts with 3 twists next to scheme) as -x or only schemes drawn during play?
Only the schemes drawn during play. Counting Set-Up requirements means you start out behind the curve from the get-go.

hath22 wrote:

I have to say I disagree. It's a nice, unofficial play variant, but to say it's "by far the best way to play" doesn't hold true for me. Personally, I prefer the Advanced Solo rules. As was pointed out earlier, it's also the ruleset used in the Online Leagues here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tulis
msg tools
mb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
1. You add the number required by thr scheme. In your example, you would have 18 bystanders.

2. There aren't usually. When there is a special number requires for solo play, it says 1 player right on the scheme.

3. Someone who plays solo games will have to answer that one

Errr... I thought only 18, as the scheme says 18 in the villain deck, not ADD 18 to the villain deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too switched from Golden Solo to Dark City Advanced Solo after a few months of playing the former and have never looked back.

Here are my thoughts on how they compare:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1357847/golden-solo-vs-dark...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Bates
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shappy1010 wrote:

I believe this is a formatting error. There should be a period after Scheme. "Special Solo Rules" is a heading that applies to the next sentence, telling you to KO someone someone from the HQ on a scheme twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell B
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought Advanced Solo and Golden Solo rules are the same thing, but as I am reading these posts they sound different. I guess I always thought it was two ways to call the same thing, guess not.

So, (1) what is the main differences between the two, and (2) which is set of Solo rules are used for the tournaments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darreb510 wrote:
I just thought Advanced Solo and Golden Solo rules are the same thing, but as I am reading these posts they sound different. I guess I always thought it was two ways to call the same thing, guess not.

So, (1) what is the main differences between the two, and (2) which is set of Solo rules are used for the tournaments?

Golden Solo is an unofficial variant posted by BGG user SkyZero. It effectively mimics a two player game without forcing you to play with two actual hands. The benefit of this is that you actually play with five Heroes instead of three, you follow the Mastermind's "Always Leads" ability, and you get to play with multiple Villain groups as well as the full 10 card Henchman deck.

Advanced Solo is an official published set of solo rules found in the Dark City rule sheet. It uses the standard solo rules found in the base set with some tweaks. You use all five Master Strikes, and on a Scheme Twist instead of KOing a Hero from the HQ you move one to the bottom of the Hero deck. You still play with only three Heroes and you still do not have to follow the Mastermind's "Always Leads" ability.

The reason this set of rules was created was because Masterminds in Dark City relied more heavily on Master Strikes (such as Stryfe) and by only using one Strike total in the Villain deck you were effectively keeping the game incredibly easy. I believe there were also Schemes that had "Evil Wins" conditions based on the number of KOs that would cause unnecessarily early defeats, which is why the Advanced Solo rules have you move a Hero to the bottom of the Hero deck rather than KO them.

Official tournaments are always with multiple players (I've never participated in one at GenCon so I don't know if it's a 2-, 3-, 4-, or 5-player game). The unofficial Legendary Online, Villains, and Starter leagues that are run here on BGG all use the Advanced Solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Ellis
msg tools
shappy1010 wrote:

Thx

I believe this part of the rulebook is a typo. Copying this from another thread:

This was answered by Upper Deck in another post (which I'm too lazy to find).

The sentence in question should end at the word "scheme." Add a number of Scheme Twist cards as stated on the Scheme.

The words "Special Solo Rules" should be a header for the next line. It's just a rulebook formatting error.

Hope this clears it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually don't really like any of the solo rulesets. I always just play a three player game by myself. I used to do two player, but I find that there's more variety and more interesting things happening when I'm controlling three hands. So I've never gone back to two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.