Subject: Why doesn't anyone want to buy a nice car ... ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed my first play of this one, and am looking forward to playing it again very soon.

But one thing thematically that struck me as odd:

There are four types of buyer:

a) Likes a big engine, but could be a cardboard box with a big engine for all they care;

b) Loves a great-looking car, but are quite happy for it to be powered by a hamster running round a wheel;

c) Doesn't care what it looks like or whether it even goes, as long as there's a team of mechanics on hand to constantly pretend to fix it;

d) Doesn't care what it looks like, or whether it works, just as long as it's the cheapest thing there.

Why isn't there a buyer that wants the best car? Good chassis, good engine, decent support team ?

In other words, why not have a buyer that will happily buy the overall high-scorer if adding those three things together, no matter the cost ?

Just wondered really ....

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
Why isn't there a buyer that wants the best car?

Just like in board games, there isn't one.

There are matters of taste and preference. They're all getting what they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the market is abstracted down to those four overriding desires. I agree it's odd that one buyer will buy the prettiest car & damn the engine. The reverse...well, history shows many examples of that. Anyway, it's an abstraction down to where the game doesn't bog down in minutiae.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:

Why isn't there a buyer that wants the best car? Good chassis, good engine, decent support team ?

I really enjoy the game (played about a dozen games now), and I have the same reaction.

I think it would be an interesting variant to introduce a fifth type of buyer: the one who wants the all around car: there would be 2 of those buyers, the bonus would be 1 (arguably it could be 2, changing the bonus of the "body buyer" to 1). This would actually increase the competition for the engine/body upgrades because sometimes you have people who lock up these categories which makes getting one of those upgrades meaningless. Having the best overall cars would inject competition in those cases.

In this variant, the number of buyers per round wouldn't change, you just add a new category of buyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. I made this observation back on first play. Aside from thematic reasons, it would also give a nice way for a player to compete without fighting for just engine or body.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Sort of like the biggest boat in Medici before you score the commodities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rational actors are <0.0001% shake

(I exaggerate. Very slightly.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Tuck

Akron
OH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we can hope for a mini expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameaccessory/204722/kraf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say because such a buyer doesn't exist.

It's not hard to see why if we start imagining what their ideal car would look like in the real world. Would it be a Bentley? Some of them are very fast, and are generally thought of as very prestigious, but there are other cars that are faster (not to mention handle better). Maybe something a little more sporty, like a Cadillac CTS-V or a BMW M5? Those are more racey, but not as comfortable, and may be seen as lacking in reliability.

Ultimately, a car can't be built that ticks absolutely every box, which is why it isn't uncommon for those in the fortunate financial position to have more than one car, so that depending on the situation, they can drive something that is fast or something that is comfortable or something that can haul a load of gravel. If there were a no-compromise car that looked sporty, had a chassis that made you feel like you were floating on air, could lap the Nurburgring in less than 7 minutes, seated eight and could haul the fallout from a spending spree at Ikea, I'm sure many of those people would be interested in it, but such a vehicle is about as likely as a unicorn.

So while the mechanics of this game allow you to build a car that ticks every box, the impossibility of it is abstracted in the buyers: they are always prioritizing one aspect or another. Which is, ultimately, what actual buyers end up having to do (being influenced by price when all else is deemed equal). The more I think about how consumer decisions are abstracted in Kraftwagen, the more I appreciate the design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I agree it's odd that one buyer will buy the prettiest car & damn the engine.

Not really, there are a number of car companies that make a name for themselves based on things that don't contribute to outright performance. What do you think of when you see a Volvo? Or a Maybach? (Though this one does have a potent engine to haul all that extra weight, I don't think anyone purchased one with the intent of embarrassing Camaros at the local drag strip...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.