France '40» Forums » General

Subject: Best game length for Sickle Cut rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
You're going to voyage through a land of wonders.
badge
Stunned amazement will probably be your habitual state of mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression the 10 turn game is very hard for the Germans while the 14 turn game is very easy. Wondering how people are handling this. I don't like the idea of changing the end point during the game.

Has anyone tried just having the game go to Turn 12 or something like that? I'd rather have game length defined, either by fixed number of turns or some sudden death criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
There has to be some kind of time pressure on the Germans to force them to move fast. That could be accomplished with minimum VP requirements starting at turn 10. Then the Germans just have to maintain the pressure through the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it might be good to say, always play to turn 12 if the German chooses, but closed Entry Hexes only count for full VP through Turn 10, and half VP after. So the Germans would have more time to do the Channel run, but not to do an "attrition the French and grab Entry hexes" strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
chuft wrote:
I wonder if it might be good to say, always play to turn 12 if the German chooses, but closed Entry Hexes only count for full VP through Turn 10, and half VP after. So the Germans would have more time to do the Channel run, but not to do an "attrition the French and grab Entry hexes" strategy.

Then is the entry hex strategy still viable? That was a legitimate fear of Allied command in spring of '40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sir_schwick wrote:
chuft wrote:

Then is the entry hex strategy still viable? That was a legitimate fear of Allied command in spring of '40.

It would be no different than the current rules, where if you want to win, you need to win by turn 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
chuft wrote:
sir_schwick wrote:
chuft wrote:

It would be no different than the current rules, where if you want to win, you need to win by turn 10.

It has been a while since I cracked this open. Is it only LoS and exiting the NW zone that count on turn 14?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The VP conditions are the same as for the ten turn game.

I can't really see why someone who won the 10 turn game would agree to extend it to 14 so the other guy has a chance to get a tie. This part of the game feels undeveloped to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
No. The VP conditions are the same as for the ten turn game.

I can't really see why someone who won the 10 turn game would agree to extend it to 14 so the other guy has a chance to get a tie. This part of the game feels undeveloped to me.

What you say makes sense for a competitive game, but that isn't the way everyone plays. I make it clear to my opponents before we begin that I am much more about the experience and the interplay than I am about winning/losing. If they don't take the hint and I discover they are really competitive in their outlook, I will decline to play again.

So I think the model as written works fine, but competitive players will want to agree ahead of time instead of deciding along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squidley Inkjet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree with your general stance, I don't think it applies in this case. The game length affects strategy as well as tactics. People do things on the last turn that wouldn't make sense on any other turn. The game length affects the whole context of play. If I know the game will go to 14 then I will take a much different approach than if I am on a tight timer. I am much less likely to go for entry hexes than the Channel. And I won't make moves on turn 10 that could win me the game if it ends at 10 but be disastrous if the game goes to 14.

There are game effects like the French defeatism and British decision to withdraw that are modeled only by the ten turn game length. If you suddenly extend the game to 14 then a German position which should see the British abruptly run for Dunkirk will instead see them throwing units away as if they were expendable just to reopen a rail line (supplying troops which are no longer north of the map, but are throwing themselves against the Germans in very non-1940-ish fashion instead).

If it was a random die roll that ended the game it would make more sense, but if it depends on your opponent feeling like it, then I think it just is a bad rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.