Subject: Both attic AND basement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Newman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Good morning, all,
I searched for this specific scenario, but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

Has anyone used both the attic and basement at the same time on any of the other boards? Being a glutton for punishment, I was thinking this might be an interesting variation to a list I'm compiling for each possible combination of game boards.

I've recently acquired the base game, 2nd story, urban structures and extreme danger expansions. I thought some mix and match with the basement and/or attic would add to the randomness of the game.

I plan on purchasing the other expansions once we have a chance to play what we already have.

If using both attic and basement is feasible, I'll add those to the mix of combinations on a master list. This master list will then be used during a gaming night when we play multiple games for a firefighter's "shift."

I see it as adding an extra bit of realism. A company of firefighters on shift don't know what they'll be dispatched to on a given day. The roll of a die (or other randomizer) will be their alert tones for each call (game).

As a quick, down and dirty example, here's my list thus far:

1. Base game "front" board
2. Base game "front" board with attic
3. Base game "front" board with basement
4. Base game "front" board with attic AND basement ???
5. Base game "back board
6. Base game "back" board with attic
7. Base game "back" board with basement
8. Base game "back" board with attic AND basement ???
9. 2nd Story "Villa"
10. 2nd Story "Villa" with attic
11. 2nd Story "Villa" with basement
12. 2nd Story "Villa" with attic AND basement ???

And so on, with each other board....

Looking forward to reading your thoughts and comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick reply: Anything that uses more than 12 colums (12-sided die) is out of bounds (i. e. requires a lot of changes to work, too little happens on the board otherwise).
You could combine basement, attic and 2nd story 1st floor, for example, you just need to adapt the printed black die numbers and a staircase (I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
Quick reply: Anything that uses more than 12 colums (12-sided die) is out of bounds (i. e. requires a lot of changes to work, too little happens on the board otherwise).

You could use a d20 and reroll if >16.
It would spread the action out which might be interesting or might be boring. Extra hot spots might help.

How hard are you willing to work at this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtests (and maths) indicated that it is boring, as I said. You need to create a lot more fire/explosions to make this interesting. Adding hostspots is only one step on the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Newman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Interesting conversation thus far......thanks!

As I said, it was mainly a "what if" sort of thing. I'm perfectly happy with what I have so far, and am looking forward to playing different scenarios/combinations that are currently possible.

I was a full time paramedic and volunteer firefighter for several years and this game almost.......almost makes me want to start dragging hose again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been plying in my mind with two buildings next to each other. Two buildings and two fire crews. Have some mechanic that says the fire jumped to the other building. Say a third die, on a 1 add the fire to the other buildings instead of this one. So two fire crews and at times the action on the other building effects your building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.