Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought experiment. Suppose you removed the ammo cards and ranged attacks from the hunter and replaced the ranged attacks with melee attacks.

Ok, so now he's a dual wield close in character, somewhat like the Soldier but without the rage mechanic. You might want to replace the ammo cards for interrupts in order for the dual wield mechanics to work well. OR maybe the Hunter just can always play a card face down to attack with his off-hand (though that does away with a mechanic that isn't even here officially yet).

Do we like him better? Now instead of a crossbow and dagger he's got a sword and dagger. Problem is that he probably isn't dropping much treasure unless we also change the rule that he can drop treasure whenever he kills with both hands?

So now, he doesn't need "patterns" of minions which match his card patterns (like riding the edge, harvest of bones, etc.) he can kill any two adjacent characters and get a treasure if he hits both times. He probably has enough attacks in melee and enough interrupts to power his dual attacks. He does away with the troublesome crossbow mechanic (with LOS limitations and limited ammo) in favor of more dependable attacks.

I've probably turned him into the swashbuckler but what do you think? Is this a character you would want to take more or less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know. But I was speculating (and I know I probably should have put this in variants) that maybe in this case the Hunter would pop a treasure with 2 kills, if he killed one with each hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You basically have a re-themed swashbuckler then, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DrProfHazzmatt wrote:
You basically have a re-themed swashbuckler then, don't you?

That's what I said, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.