Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, yesterday I stumbled in the Set Bonus for the Dragon Armor Set (I played only PoStars, so I never checked that before), and I noticed that that one is another Easter Egg.
Since there are a lot of these around, I was wondering if we were to make a comprehensive list of these with references.

I will begin now:

Dragon armor set bonus Jump
It is a reference to Final Fantasy series, in particular to the Final Fantasy: Tactics incarnation of the Dragoon Job, that had the special Action Ability "Jump" that consisted in a full (charged) action jumping over the enemy for an attack with bonus damage.

Reference: [url]http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dragoon_(Tactics)[/url]

I also know of the many references to Berserk, to the Adventure Sword being a reference to Adventure Time!, to the Messenger of the Spiral Path being a reference to Kamina from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but if possible, I would like that the original posters of these would post their entries here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy O'Connell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I think Kain had a "Jump" ability in FF2 (i.e. FFIV), which might predate Tactics.

But yeah, good idea for a thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Skidchenko
Russia
Petrozavodsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frozen Star secret fighting art
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/stephenking/images/e/e4/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dragon Slayer Sword

Most obvious Berserk reference (it's Guts' sword).

Adventure Time Sword

Check out the kid/adult animated show to find out!

The Butcher

Highly reminescent of Barry the Chopper from Full Metal Alchemist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lance of Longinus

Borrowed from Christianity, this spear is said to have pierced the ribcage of Christ.
It appears in Neon Genesis: Evangelion multiple times, ferreted away, deep under the Geo-dome
Spoiler (click to reveal)
holding Lillith to the cross (which everybody thinks is Adam)
, until a last Ditch effort to destroy a high earth orbit Angel forces the pilots to spear that Angel like a shishkabob.

The art work is even practically the same object. Beautiful.

There's a lot more of there... When I eventually get back into playing, I'll add some stuff. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Arnold
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The 'Messenger of Courage's Model is a female Link from the 'Legends of Zelda' series.In the games Link carried the Triforce of Courage and fought against many incantations of darkness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Charidarn wrote:
The 'Messenger of Courage's Model is a female Link from the 'Legends of Zelda' series.In the games Link carried the Triforce of Courage and fought against many incantations of darkness.

All four messengers are from anime or computer games. (Kamina from TTGL, Guts from Beserk, Link from Zelda and Ayla from Chrono Trigger)

Candy and Cola are Ninja Division's Mascots
Kara Black is from Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster

The Belt of Gender Swap is D&D's Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity.

The Blood Plasma Katana reminds me of Star of the Guardian's Bloodswords.

I'm half expecting we are going to get an Attack on Titan reference in the next kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:

I'm half expecting we are going to get an Attack on Titan reference in the next kickstarter.

A monstrous, possibly skinless, giant would be a pretty good fit for the KDM universe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Didn't know the D&D reference.

Also, someone brought up in another thread, that the Old Prospector is a WHQ reference.

Also, LMAO, Mootabo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:

I thought that was the "Scout's Tunic" from the Beta Scenario (Even though it belonged to Not-Link, Msgr of Courage)
IIRC, it was called Scout's Tunic and evoked the AoT reference.

I'd be cool with an Ehren Berserker/Forsaker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The various types of clothes in the Zelda series are called tunics (at least in the classic Ocarina, and some of the others), think the reference there is pretty overt.

Oh, also, I'd be pretty surprised if the Disciples of the Witch aren't a reference/inspiration from Kill La Kill, what with the animate, parasitic magic clothes with a bunch of eyes/teeth

Regarding wishlisting, possibilities, etc., I was a bit surprised nothing by Miyazaki came up-- japanese, with a lot of apocalyptic and/or fantasy settings with bands of humans fighting giant monsters. But, if it's really just about favorites/inspiration, I guess it's more personal than that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
The various types of clothes in the Zelda series are called tunics (at least in the classic Ocarina, and some of the others), think the reference there is pretty overt.

Regarding wishlisting, possibilities, etc., I was a bit surprised nothing by Miyazaki came up-- japanese, with a lot of apocalyptic and/or fantasy settings with bands of humans fighting giant monsters. But, if it's really just about favorites/inspiration, I guess it's more personal than that?

True… I forgot each new "armor" was called a Tunic - been too long.
It was the "Scout" corps and the look of the art that gave me that inkling… if, even a bit out of place.

Miyazaki? Ryan Laukat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mb
Speaking of anime references, how about this picture of Fafnir? Although mechanical the resemblance is striking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
huh. maybe. IDK about striking, though, since it took a bit to figure out which model you were talking about. What's that from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mb
What with the crest, the armoured plates and the vulnerable heart...? Haha okay. Back in my box.

Its from Megami Tensei, though I have not seen it. Only came across this picture yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, maybe, the crest is what sells it to me, the rest is pretty generic.

Other references, the Mask salesman is almost certainly a reference (would have mentioned it earlier, but I guess I assumed it had been covered) to the Happy Mask Salesman in the Zelda N64 games (and maybe others), being a creepy dude who trades you stuff for masks with special effects, and that Poots clearly likes Zelda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.