Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Planeswalkers Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Working on a remake of the Planeswalker Hero cards to resize them to fit into tuckboxes along with the spells and my other WIP of squad creatures - using MSE - any suggestions on how to make the Range/Attack/Move/Defense look less terrible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

Icons/symbols from the cards.
Melee - two crossed swords
Defense - shield
Movement - a foot (hard to find one that is not goofy) OR a boot
Ranged - bow and arrow

Life points feels small. Maybe with a reddish circle behind it or a neutral larger-than-title-bar hexagon to mirror the base planeswalker cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look good. I would put the starts in icon shaped boxes along the bottom similar to how the real Plainswalker cards have their loyalty counter boxes. It would look good aesthetically and fit in with the original theme for the Plainswalker cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My thought's exactly - I've been searching for nice Vectors and the boots are the hardest to find, they currently are set with the original attack/block icons from the dice for damage and defense. I'm worried the quality is going to be too low for a print out - but then again Im looking at it on a screen and the card will be much smaller in hand so I dunno - just worried I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the way I have been adding info to my MSE program, for my D&D Adventure game mod to take in Zombicide, Zpocalypse and others. Tying to add simple d20 to other creatures.

I can try to add the planeswalker symbols needed to the standard card types you are using. I just need the symbols and time.

EDIT: fixing above description below

For me on left is
Group/Faction - Mutant
Life / HP
Armor / AC
Smarts
Sanity
Initiative
Speed
Reaction
Creature Type - Zombie

The right is
Attack Type
Range / Reach
Attack Bonus
Critical Hit
Critical Damage
Damage
Noise or No Noise

Then there is creature icon instead of the word "Creature" as Type
and then subtypes
the color is the Threat Level

I put in a description and then some flavor text.
The AI stats and such are on a monster manual card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think editing the leveler template could be a better move as it has 2 boxes on the left and three on the right. I am trying to figure out the best way to get the boxes to do what I want.

The only problem is that it leaves you less room for text as it uses that room for the boxes.

I will play with it tomorrow and see what I get.

If not I could put icons on the left of the picture like I did for my zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
That looks much more like the idea I was going for - I wonder if just adding the four boxes on the top would work for it like the ones you have on both sides? I've got some icon's my wife did up for me I'll upload them tomorrow morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Finding any type of new-er MSE templates have come up as a bust for me, it keeps sending me to the MSE forum which has so many outdated/removed links now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Duarte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
someone said they need icons?

http://game-icons.net/tags/boot.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zackzeta wrote:
someone said they need icons?

http://game-icons.net/tags/boot.html

Those icons are great. I love the foot with the giant nail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Nice source!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
WIP using shoddy placed icons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Instead of a white icon with a black background, wouldn't it look better as a black icon with a transparent background?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ideally yes - but this is me trying to understand how GIMP works, the plan is to invert the colors and actually make the back ground transparent so Just the icon appears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Like So:
(Yes, I know her stat numbers are wrong I was just checking it with random values of numbers)

I suppose up next will be to add their respective mana symbols, find better font for numbers (maybe try roman numerals to kill some of the blank space?)

Any more suggestions would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Floyd
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Here's another option that could achieve what you said you ultimately wanted (the army cards to fit in a box with the other spell cards).

The army cards are double the height of a normal spell card, so if you could fold them in half they will be a perfect fit - but the way they are designed, folding them will crease some of the info on the card.

So, an alternate idea is to recreate the large army cards and then slightly adjust the center point so they can be folded in half without creasing any of the info on the card like the example here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tracyfloyd wrote:
Here's another option that could achieve what you said you ultimately wanted (the army cards to fit in a box with the other spell cards).

The army cards are double the height of a normal spell card, so if you could fold them in half they will be a perfect fit - but the way they are designed, folding them will crease some of the info on the card.

So, an alternate idea is to recreate the large army cards and then slightly adjust the center point so they can be folded in half without creasing any of the info on the card like the example here.

Or two standard sized cards. One with picture and stats and the other with ability text/info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my modifier MSE file.

I used the boxes from the leveler and icons from D&D images.

I will make the cost on the bottom bigger and the Rarity letter on the left go away (it says R for rare and then I used that for the size.

EDIT-
It is a bit buggy as I didn't make multicolor versions.

EDIT AGAIN-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure re-editing my own post over and over is dumb so I will post again.

I have it set to look like a normal magic card unless it has both identity (the colored circle in the type line) and supertype "Planeswalker". I did the identity requirement because the real army cards have a mana symbol there. I have added "Squad Creature" to the supertype required. I will try to set the identity to a mana symbol just like the real cards.

I am having some odd trouble using the symbols as characters that you can type so I just set each box to have a set picture for now. There is something in the script for M15 that kills it. This only matters if you want to use the symbols in lieu of the words (such as +X attack in stead of +X picture of the attack symbol).

I didn't set it to work with anything but basic colored or colorless cards (no multicolor or hybrid).

Do I need to figure out how to do the # of minis/ hit location picture? I don't think so, but I could add a smaller box to the side. It reminds me of the video game "House of the Dead".

I guess that is it for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

one more then off to bed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fixed the multicolor issue
and made the font a little bigger

EDIT:
but I encountered a new bug, though this one seems to not matter too much

I put in Kiora the GU casting cost to show what colors she is as the identity icon is too small and the gold border doesn't do enough. I then went to add the mana symbol to each creature but only Black, Red and Green can have identity while they have a mana symbol in their casting cost, whereas W and U turn off identity and therefore kill the boxes. I will have to look into identity soon.

EDIT 2:
I was thinking I would set her to be hybrid color instead of gold, but I did not make the boxes respond well for hybrid. Right now hybrid colors would have gold boxes. I could figure which color was on the left for all hybrid combinations and make the boxes match the left color.

Also I want to fix the casting cost issue as I want my cards to use mana to cast and tie in mtg more like like the old video game where you had starting mana and had to collect mana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured out the identity issue. It will only do identity if it thinks that the color frame doesn't match the mana color. So put in the mana symbol and then click the left edge of the type box to get the identity and color popup. Add a second color identity and the frame listed will change to multicolor even though the fame that is visible is still the color it was. Then uncheck the extra, unneeded identity color to leave only the correct identity while having the mana symbol on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I forgot about hero creatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grindstaff
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Wow that is absolutely staggering, you really helped my unfocused idea form into some beyond what I expected. I'm having the same weird script error where the mana symbols aren't showing up for the allocated hotkey, does BGG even allow us to link the .mse-set files? I would love to be able to use that template, thank you once again I cannot express how invigorating this was - I was starting to get quite burned out on editing my script and even dabbled into working on another project (damn multi colors in Hearthstone templates are really annoying me) just to take a break from this for a moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clark
United States
Stony Brook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I edited a few different spots in two different templates and maybe it might need my main script edits for magic.

I think I can put the template up on BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.