Subject: Do forcast dice add too much randomness? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Kleemann
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My group has been playing stockpile for a bit and loving it a lot. Last night we played our first continuing corruption game and decided to add the forcast dice and bonds. We played with the complex board since that was what we had been using for awhile.

The game felt extra random to all players. The dice were almost always 4 green and 2 red (occasionally 3 and 3) but the swings were much higher and it seemed that a company in a midling position could be bankrupted in a single round (especially with red action cards and Cramer which was in the game) Also, in the late game the triple dividend came up which produced a windfall for the two players who owned most of that stock and nothing for the others. This also felt like a random event that the players had no tangible way to react to.

I understand that the game is short and light but I can't help but feel that the expansion (at least the elements we used) just adds more chaos.

For those of you who like the expansion:
Do you see this extra randomness or not?
If you see it does it make the game better for you?
Is there some way that you play that makes it work? e.g. play with the simple board side when using forcast dice.

Thanks and let me know what you think. We've only played one game with the expansion so will likely play more before giving up and going back to the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not more random. There is the same amount of randomness. The only difference is the extrems are increased by 1. Dividend can be 1 more or 1 less, compagny can increase by 1 more or decrease by 1 more. That's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kleemann
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:

The game is not more random. There is the same amount of randomness. The only difference is the extrems are increased by 1. Dividend can be 1 more or 1 less, compagny can increase by 1 more or decrease by 1 more. That's all.

Ok. So the forcast dice create a game with the same randomness but increased variance or standard deviation.

Do you have any comments on how the game feels to you with and without the forcast dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer with the dice. Due to higher variation, they make that players must, more often, make though choice between keeping or selling shares because more often they are on the edge to go bankrupt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.